Announcing the JNSWiki Weekly Project Article

CaptOblivious

To help drum up interest in contributing to the JNSWiki, I've begun a project entitled the Weekly Project Article. The idea is that each week, I will post a new article that needs attention to the front page of the Wiki. Over the course of several weeks, perhaps you will see an article that you can contribute just a little bit to. My hope is that by presenting the Wiki one article at a time will help to keep it from being this huge burden that most people avoid because there is so much work to be done.

This week's article is on the JNR colors. Much of the work that needs to be done on this article is translation, but a good chunk of the translation work can be undertaken with little to no knowledge of Japanese! So long as you know something about the colors used by JNR and its successors (there is a helpful chart at the Yahoo "JTrains" group, if you are a member there), and know how to use Google Translate, you can help translate a few entries in that final and very important table.

Each week, I'll post the Weekly Project Article here and on the Wiki front page; discussion of how best to tackle the work should be done on that page's discussion page, e.g. discussion of the current project, "Color Palettes of Japanese Railroads" should be done not in reply to this message, but here: http://wiki.jnsforum.com/wiki/Talk:Color_Palettes_of_Japanese_Railroads

CaptOblivious

A bump: No takers? Really? That breaks my heart :( We'll try a new page on Monday and see how y'all respond.

qwertyaardvark

Hi Capt~

I would be interested in doing some translation work for the JNSWiki, but I am wondering if there's some "official" team to join, or if should just on right ahead and start translation? I have studied the Japanese language for about 4 years, and I think this would be a great opportunity for me to keep what I know from rusting away... ^^;; as well as a great opportunity to learn about the Japanese railroads since I am but a newcomer to the scene. :)

I might be a little slow to translate since a lot of vocabulary is not conversational, but I'll do what I can with my mini-army of dictionaries, paper and electronic.

If I were to just go right on ahead, where would like me to start? I notice the Japanese Railway colors and EF59 articles officially needing some translating, but I noticed while searching JNSWiki in the search bar, several pages on several boards came up. Is there a thread or board where members can suggest pages to be translated?

Glad to be of some service,

Daniel

CaptOblivious

YAY!!!

Please, yes, just jump right in. Do note a few conventions:

Translate one sentence per line, leaving the original text commented out so future translators can check/improve the translation (see the section of the colors article that I translated for an example)

If you see any other articles, or import any articles, that need translating, please flag them using this template:

{{Not_English|Japanese}}

As you begin work on an article, add this template, too:

{{Translation WIP|国鉄色|Japanese|ja}}

(replacing the bit about JNR colors with the actual original article title)

Thanks!! I look forward to beginning to have a team of translators :D

Hi Capt~

I would be interested in doing some translation work for the JNSWiki, but I am wondering if there's some "official" team to join, or if should just on right ahead and start translation? I have studied the Japanese language for about 4 years, and I think this would be a great opportunity for me to keep what I know from rusting away... ^^;; as well as a great opportunity to learn about the Japanese railroads since I am but a newcomer to the scene. :)

I might be a little slow to translate since a lot of vocabulary is not conversational, but I'll do what I can with my mini-army of dictionaries, paper and electronic.

If I were to just go right on ahead, where would like me to start? I notice the Japanese Railway colors and EF59 articles officially needing some translating, but I noticed while searching JNSWiki in the search bar, several pages on several boards came up. Is there a thread or board where members can suggest pages to be translated?

Glad to be of some service,

Daniel