supermarket in Tokyo

Alemino

Hello

Soon i will be travelling again in Japan and this time i wish to visit  a Japanese supermarket. Not a local shop or Lawson, but really a big one (like Walmart or Auchan, or big tesco) 

I know is strange, but when i travel abroad i always try to visit supermarkets where the locals buy they everyday items and food, away from tourist streets and attraction.

So my question is to the Forum members living in ( or knowing well ) Tokyo: where i can find a big Japanese supermarket, reachable by train/subway in Tokyo, great Tokyo area?

Thank you

Alessio

Google map it.  Lots of little purple circles with a shopping carts on the maps.  Just hover your pointer over the circle to view what the shop is.  Not a market, move to the next circle.

Random 1 minute search:- https://www.google.com.au/maps/place/My+Basket+Nihon+Bashihoncho+4-chome+Shop/@35.6912103,139.7773645,17z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0xb9d8988a1b517aec!8m2!3d35.6901431!4d139.7770431 I only google mapped said area due to the proximity to my accommodation for my upcoming September trip.

Edited by katoftw
  • Like 1

Problem is, in central Tokyo there aren't many really big supermarkets - the one in your link is "My Basket" which is a chain of cheap convenience-store sized ones.

If the OP can say where he's staying we might be able to locate some bigger ones more easily reachable.

• Like 1

Thanks for the inputs

i will be staying in walk distance to Hamamatsucho Station (yamanote and Keihintohoku Line)

but is not a problem if i have to take a train for 30 or more minutes, even is good to see Tokyo and neighboorod.

:)

You won't find big supermarkets within the Yamanote Loop area, except maybe in the cheaper rent northern regions. I would take the Keihin Tohoku line south to Oimachi. There is an Ito Yokado and a Seiyu there, as that area is very residential though also very urban. They will be bigger than the typical Monoprix in central Paris or the neighborhood supermarkets in central Rome neighborhoods.

Edited by bikkuri bahn
  • Like 2

There is a Tokyu supermarket adjacent to Nakameguro Station on the Toyoko Line, just two stops from Shibuya, should you be in that area. Can't vouch for it's merchandise selection though.

You won't find big supermarkets within the Yamanote Loop area, except maybe in the cheaper rent northern regions.

I have yet to come across a truly big(-ish) supermarket anywhere (at least that I recall) anywhere within the Yamanote Line (or more accurately inside Yamate-dori). It's likely larger ones can be found in newer high-rise residential projects.

There is a Tokyu supermarket adjacent to Nakameguro Station on the Toyoko Line, just two stops from Shibuya, should you be in that area. Can't vouch for it's merchandise selection though.

If memory serves correctly it wasn't that big.

Off the top of my head, there's a big Ito Yokado next to Musashi-Sakai station on the Chuo Line; a big Seiyu in the basement of the Asta mall in Tanashi; somewhat closer to Hamamatsucho there's an "OK" supermarket near to Aomono-Yokocho station on the Keikyu line: https://goo.gl/maps/638B75Yg9tv

Try Aeon Shinagawa Seaside.

I have never been but sometimes TV station use the location for interviewing public and seems it is quite big store.  And it should be close to your place of stay.

http://shop.aeon.jp/store/01/0132090/shop_info/map/

The other one I can think is Ito-Yokado at Kiba (Tokyo Metro Tozai line).

http://standard2.pmx.proatlas.net/d6214m24/user_page.php?id=d6214m24&c=35/39/46.386,139/48/27.302&layer=2&r=1&t=%E3%82%A4%E3%83%88%E3%83%BC%E3%83%A8%E3%83%BC%E3%82%AB%E3%83%89%E3%83%BC%E6%9C%A8%E5%A0%B4%E5%BA%97&pos=I2:P35/39/46.386,139/48/27.302

• Like 3

Try Aeon Shinagawa Seaside.

I have never been but sometimes TV station use the location for interviewing public and seems it is quite big store.  And it should be close to your place of stay.

http://shop.aeon.jp/store/01/0132090/shop_info/map/

Ah yes, forgot about that one. It's just down the road from the "OK" supermarket near to Aomono-Yokocho station I linked to above. I used to work near there, though never really used the Aeon one.

• Like 1
nscalestation

There is a good sized (by Tokyo standards) supermarket at Meguro station.  It is one of the few spots I know of in Tokyo to buy tonic water.  I have passed by it walking between the JR Platforms and the subway.  I believe it is called "Peace" but not sure of the spelling.  The sign is green and white.

As already mentioned, Tokyu has grocery markets at some of their stations - Naka Meguro, Musashi-Koyama, and Nishikoyama that I know of.

• Like 1

I always go shopping at Supermarkets too, you get better prices and variety than even the Japanese 7-11 which itself is better than most Australian supermarkets.

I think, like most things, when it comes to supermarkets the Japanese tend to go for quality rather than size as we do in the west.  There is not really any Walmarts or Tescos or Coles that have the whole market sewn up with mega stores and a lot of the apparent big stores seem to be made up of several smaller franchises under the one roof.

• Like 1

Depending on if you're visiting places out of Tokyo (like Kamakura, Hakone, Nikkō, etc. or even just Yokohama), it might be worth getting off at a station in between and check to local supermarket(s) there. You'll visit a tourist spot and are able to get a taste of everyday Japan in between. Chains to look out for (at least in Kanagawa) are Life, Sanwa, Tokyu, Fuji, and so on. Odakyu also sports a more high-end chain called OX at many a station.

• Like 1