Doctor Yellow - Tomix vs. Kato?

gavino200

I want to get a Doctor as my next Shinkansen. So far almost everything I have is Kato. I've been reluctant to get anything non-Kato as the other (american) brands I've tried don't come close in quality and reliability. The only Tomix models I have are a Thomas the Tank Engine and a cleaning car that I haven't converted yet.

For some reason the Kato Doc Yellow motor/cab sets are fairly cheap but the four car add-on is very expensive. I'm a little interested in maybe trying the Tomix instead. 

Pro for Tomix :

All car pickup - but I don't know if the yellow has that.

Con for Tomix:

The "unknown" factor. (although, that makes it interesting too)

The fact that everyone seems to say they are a nightmare to DCC convert.

Anyone here have any experience with the Tomix Doctor Yellow? Would you recommend it? If you've converted one, what was it like? What decoders work well with it?

Thanks.

I have neither of them but SpeedSphere has a nice comparison

Keep in mind that Tomix represents the 923 series while the Kato one is a 923-3000 series. 

Thus even the prototypes show differences. 

• Like 1

Converting a tomix shinkansen would be the same amount of work you did on your Kato 500.

Other than all whell pickup. You wont find much differences.

There is some lighting on the pantographs. So they'll need some extra installs compared to regular shinkansens.

• Like 1

Converting a tomix shinkansen would be the same amount of work you did on your Kato 500.

Other than all whell pickup. You wont find much differences.

There is some lighting on the pantographs. So they'll need some extra installs compared to regular shinkansens.

Ha. For me that was insanely difficult. I had to do the first one three times before I got it right. When I bought it, I assumed it would be a drop in like the E5 and E6. 

I'd have to let a bit of time pass, and forget the pain a bit before I'd sign myself up for something like that again.

Keep in mind that Tomix represents the 923 series while the Kato one is a 923-3000 series. 

Thanks. I'll parse through that tomorrow.

There is some lighting on the pantographs.

I'm sure this is mentioned in the comparison, but my understanding is that the Kato add-on includes one (or two?) cars that, like the proto, have "lights" that shine on the catenary to assist with inspection, as I believe the good doc makes all of his house calls overnight.  This could be seen as a feature if you plan to do a lot of "nighttime" running.

However, unless you're planning to actually install overhead wire, it seems rather silly to me, as they'll just be shining up at the ceiling.

• Like 1

I've got the KATO dr yellow and can vouch that it's a good runner and the lights on the pantograph are something nice that's different from other Shinkansen's. I haven't tried a tomix one but even on my less than clean track it still runs well with the one power car.

https://youtu.be/A05VZ-bS-40

• Like 1

Thanks. It was a headache reading the Google translation but the article was very helpful. Both models seem very good. Personally I don't care so much how close to prototype the models are. I care more about the quality of craftsmanship, and how much of a 'real' feel they give when you look at them. When I was a kid I used to make model airplanes.  The two main brands were Airfix and Matchbox. Matchbox had a lot of nice features, but Airfix always had a better details. They just looked more real. I usually chose Airfix.

In summary: I'm not a rivet counter, but I like rivets and want them to look 'real'.

I may have to actually see one of each before deciding. Luckily, I'll be visiting both "Kato Hobby Center" and "Tomix World" next week. 

Edited by gavino200
  • Like 1

Found this nice German YouTube comparison video - "Artz Gelb"

Both look good. I'm leaning toward Kato for the roof lights and 'drop in' decoders. 

• Like 1

I have many consists of Tomix shinkansens because I love the all wheel pickups and electric couplers, but I HAD to go with Kato for the Doctor Yellow... that overhead light REALLY adds detail and realism to the train, and makes it a trademark inspection train. Without the light, it really doesn't showcase the beauty and speciality of the inspection train...

Also, the Kato has car number 4 with a white painted roof which is exactly the same as the real train, and the Tomix is missing this...

• Like 1

At one point I was considering acquiring a Dr. Yellow (still will do when I get round to it), various Japanese reviews I checked were in favour of the Kato version.

serotta1972

Can I add this into the mix - a German Dr. Yellow?

post-2776-0-14708600-1492749340_thumb.jpgpost-2776-0-25623400-1492749342_thumb.jpgpost-2776-0-44300100-1492749344_thumb.jpgpost-2776-0-83853200-1492749346_thumb.jpg

Oooops, sorry wrong scale and nationality. :)

• Like 4

Cute! But at least it's yellow and a doctor alright! So surely fitting into the title Doctor Yellow!

Problem is, it's neither made by Tomix nor Kato ~  :P

I tried Tomix out and ended up selling it because detail catches my eye for some reason. It matters to some

The post

Like I said my eye picks up on detail. Notice the fan blades are seen in the Kato version the Tomix has just the grates.

Also notice how Kato has the rivets/bolts on the panels to the right.

If detail is important then stick with Kato.    

img_6292.jpg

As for the price. guessing.

Dr Yellow is a revered train in Japan. The low cost on the motor cars allows for all to purchase one. For those who really wants the complete set they can purchase it at another price point.  

Inobu

Edited by inobu
  • Like 1

The Kato version is a much more polished product and the loss of all-wheel pickup isn't so bad since it's only a 7 car Shinkansen especially if you don't plan on installing interior lighting.