Kato 500 Series Shinkansen Nose Cone?

gavino200

Does anyone know a assy part number for a Kato 500 series nose cone? I lost mine. I have no idea where. I turned the entire house upside down, checked everywhere it could conceivably be, sifted through the vacuum cleaner contents, even sorted through the garbage. Noting. It's been more than a week since I noticed it missing, and still nothing. Time to start looking for a replacement, I guess :(

I've found multiple sources for other Shinkansen noses, but not the 500. Anyone know if it's available? 

Comes with the shell. But for your 500. I think you'll need to contact Kato directly as the Eva 500 parts don't seem readily available like non limited edition trains.

Comes with the shell. But for your 500. I think you'll need to contact Kato directly as the Eva 500 parts don't seem readily available like non limited edition trains.

Agree. KatoUSA don't have any parts for Japanese trains. I'm going to ask about an EVA nose cone when I visit the Kato Hobby center in a couple of weeks, but I'm not going to be surprised if they don't have any. Likely I'll have to get a standard 500 nose if possible and paint it.

I'd like to find an assy number. I'm putting together a list of parts that I'm going to look for in Japan. My Japanese is extremely limited so I'm hoping to have printouts of a picture of each assy part with a number.

Katousa will at times try to order specific parts from kato mothership, but it's spotty and can take months. They then charge $8 to ship a small padded envelope...

Nariichi San (Modeltrainplus.com) or David San (loco1hobby.com) would be your best bet. Nariichi San located a nosecone for my tomix 400 for me (but tomix sells that as a specific part. I think kato is right you may need a whole shell with the kato 500 as it's not a usually removed part like the tomix 400 is to get to the E2 coupler and thus a part that might normally go poof.

You could buy an old 500 if you get desperate and try to match the color! Thenif you have two paint the other one and sell it high on yahoo.jp as you know someone else did the same thing you did...

Have you tried the bright flashlight search? Really helps in spotting a small part on the bench or floor. Also dump the trash cans.

Good luck, big bummer!

Jeff

• Like 1

I never got Kato Japan to reply english mails. Either try Kato USA or send a mail to Nariichi-san of ModelTrainPlus. 

I'll mail Nariichi-san tomorrow. Thanks.

Katousa will at times try to order specific parts from kato mothership, but it's spotty and can take months. They then charge $8 to ship a small padded envelope...

Nariichi San (Modeltrainplus.com) or David San (loco1hobby.com) would be your best bet. Nariichi San located a nosecone for my tomix 400 for me (but tomix sells that as a specific part. I think kato is right you may need a whole shell with the kato 500 as it's not a usually removed part like the tomix 400 is to get to the E2 coupler and thus a part that might normally go poof.

You could buy an old 500 if you get desperate and try to match the color! Thenif you have two paint the other one and sell it high on yahoo.jp as you know someone else did the same thing you did...

Have you tried the bright flashlight search? Really helps in spotting a small part on the bench or floor. Also dump the trash cans.

Good luck, big bummer!

Jeff

Good ideas. I'll get an old 500 if I can't get a replacement and it doesn't show up. I've looked every possible way. I went through every ounce of garbage, coffee grounds, rotting food, and all. That actually makes me hopeful that it'll show up somewhere, because I don't think it's left the house. But I've got to start thinking about alternatives...

Hey, thanks for that hint. I always thought the nose caps of the 500 are glued. Just checked, indeed they're only clipped.

This opens another opportunity for adding couplers... :icon_scratch:

• Like 1

Guess what just showed up!! I had zero hope of ever seeing this thing again. It's been almost a year and a half. My Eva has been running with a replacement nose cone from a regular Type 500. I went looking for something tonight and found it just sitting on my workroom floor. There's only one explanation I can think of. I recently emptied out a giant tub of mixed sand paper and sorted them into individual boxes, one for each grit size. It must have been somewhere in the giant sandpaper bin. 

I'm taking this as a sign that "I'm supposed to" buy the Hello Kitty Type 500. So, I guess it's decided.

XWxJtUc.jpg

Edited by gavino200
  • Haha 5

So if you loose the hello kitty nose you have a replacement, just grab some pink nail polish...

jeff

• Haha 1

Great news! It's great to find 'those-parts-we-thought-went-missing' again! Happened to me many times, usually mine are the antenna and signal sticks that are oh so small and likes to jump around during installation... 

What amazes me is why many would think so much about buying the Hello Kitty 500 series... It's lovely! Bright pink is bound to attract attention, especially the ladies! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1