Any good daytrips (from Tokyo) along the E5 or E6 Shinkansen line?

gavino200

For a more technically-oriented day outing (something I would be tempted to do), I would take a service to Sendai, then take the Senseki Tohoku Line, which uses the HB-E210 hybrid DMU (2016 Laurel Award winner), as far as Takagimachi. Then catch a Sendai bound Senseki Line service back to the city, for a nice loop trip. The Senseki Line uses JR-E's ATACS wireless signal system, which is equivalent in function to the ERTMS level 3 system which is (yet?) to be used in Europe. Make sure to get the beef tongue box lunch at Sendai Station. Beef tongue is a specialty of Sendai.

From ayokoi:

Also from ayokoi, the actual connection between the Tohoku Main Line and the Senseki Line (connection opened spring 2015)

Edited by bikkuri bahn

Do you want to seeing the trains 'coupled' or 'coupling'?  Cos if it is the later, then you'll need to travel all the way to Morioka.

As other have said.  You just ride a Akita shinkansen.  Even just as far as Sendai.  Easy enough to know the times and train number service.  Have the list ready and use it when booking your seats.

Thanks. Coupling would be cool, but coupled would be enough. These are our two favorite trains. It would be amazing to see the actual prototypes. 

Although we just got the EVA 500, and love it. We're trying to convince my wife to spend a day traveling  west so we can take a spin on the real EVA. So far she's not buying in.

Edited by gavino200

For a more technically-oriented day outing (something I would be tempted to do), I would take a service to Sendai, then take the Senseki Tohoku Line, which uses the HB-E210 hybrid DMU (2016 Laurel Award winner), as far as Takagimachi. Then catch a Sendai bound Senseki Line service back to the city, for a nice loop trip. The Senseki Line uses JR-E's ATACS wireless signal system, which is equivalent in function to the ERTMS level 3 system which is (yet?) to be used in Europe. Make sure to get the beef tongue box lunch at Sendai Station. Beef tongue is a specialty of Sendai.

From ayokoi:

Also from ayokoi, the actual connection between the Tohoku Main Line and the Senseki Line (connection opened spring 2015)

Thanks. I'll look into the trip. I definitely try the beef tongue though.

Indeed~ If you look at the timetable, you can choose hayabusa, which is almost always an E5, or you can change komachi service which is almost always an E6, unless if you manage to take one that is an E6 run alone set. They do exist, but rare.

meanwhile, please check this out!

But if you do the above in a day, you will most probably only be touching bases and not being able to explore, like touching matsumoto and rushing off to Nagoya...

http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/promotion/app_campaign/#pinPlaceA

You can collect limited edition shinkansen badges!

Thanks. Those are awesome. The little dude will love it.

If you have JR passes just reserve seats to the first stop on the Akita line past Morioka, that would assure you of getting on the E6 portion of the train.  You don't have to go all the way.