Japanese train station announcements/ sounds

Oz_Paul

In the process of coming to grips with +4D sound which is quite handy for N scale given space constraints. Any recommendations on sites which have train station announcements/ sounds (which I can download in the .WAV format) is appreciated. Thanks.

(Moderator note: recording posts merged with this thread)

For one installation, i used old 'recycled' computer house speakers, the large static magnet type and put them under the platform. They have a 4 pins wide connector with the two outermost pins connecting to the speaker. Just make sure the top paper membrane is not touching anything. (i glued them in at the back of the magnets)

For one installation, i used old 'recycled' computer house speakers, the large static magnet type and put them under the platform. They have a 4 pins wide connector with the two outermost pins connecting to the speaker. Just make sure the top paper membrane is not touching anything. (i glued them in at the back of the magnets)

You glue the speakers to the layout baseboard/foam in the empty space under the platform. Am I understanding you right?

You glue the speakers to the layout baseboard/foam in the empty space under the platform. Am I understanding you right?

Yes or if there is no space there (like in case of a very low platform) you can sink them into the baseboard. The last resort method would be to glue them upside down under the layout if you absolutely can't fit them looking up. Ideally if you aim the speakers into the bottom of the platforms looking up, the platform plastic will act as a soundbox and you will hear the sound coming from the platforms.

• Like 1

Ideally if you aim the speakers into the bottom of the platforms looking up, the platform plastic will act as a soundbox and you will hear the sound coming from the platforms.

Coincidentally I was just looking at some promo material for the new Tomix 5721 Platform Sound Effects Unit to see how they mounted the platform speakers (and maybe borrow some ideas for my own project).

post-2339-0-66012000-1491323431_thumb.png

It looks like they're using the platform as the soundbox like kvp described.  The Tomix brochure says that the speakers are Vibration Speakers (振動スピーカー).  I'd like to give this a try myself if I can find a source.

Coincidentally I was just looking at some promo material for the new Tomix 5721 Platform Sound Effects Unit to see how they mounted the platform speakers (and maybe borrow some ideas for my own project).

It looks like they're using the platform as the soundbox like kvp described.  The Tomix brochure says that the speakers are Vibration Speakers (振動スピーカー).  I'd like to give this a try myself if I can find a source.

If you find a source for suitable speakers please post. 

I used a Logitech 5.1 surround sound speaker with the rear speakers on the layout and the front, centre and woofer under the layout. Plan to disguise the rear speakers as hills.

A quick video of 3 trains under automatic operations of the Railroad & co software with a storm in the background (on +4D sound!).

Am yet to use +4D sound to its fullest potential though which includes loco sounds and horns.

Edited by cteno4
Fixed embed
  • Like 5

I used a Logitech 5.1 surround sound speaker with the rear speakers on the layout and the front, centre and woofer under the layout. Plan to disguise the rear speakers as hills.

A quick video of 3 trains under automatic operations of the Railroad & co software with a storm in the background (on +4D sound!).

Am yet to use +4D sound to its fullest potential though which includes loco sounds and horns.

That's very impressive. I love the station music. What's with the flashing red and green lights?

That's very impressive. I love the station music. What's with the flashing red and green lights?

Thanks. A not so successful attempt at simulating flashes of lightning using the LEDs.

Edited by Oz_Paul

Interesting project! Looking forward to more updates on this!  :)

I have subscribed to 'Kaigansansei' youtube member's channel for a long time, they have a large library of announcement sounds and departure music which they update pretty regularly in their channel. You can take a look here:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXJZ7nPyb0etlihNySTTeVA

Further, you can also download the music from their youtube channel using the various tools available across the internet. Do note about copyright issues but I believe if you are only using for your own layout it shouldn't be a huge problem ~

Cheers!

Can you recommend a SW tool to use to get sound files from You Tube videos?

Can you recommend a SW tool to use to get sound files from You Tube videos?

I've done this before for language learning. You can use 'YouTube downloader' to get an MP3 file. The basic version used to be free. I don't know if it still is. There are multiple versions of the same thing that give you a free trial. 

Once you have the MP3, you can edit it with Audacity - also a free program. It's fairly easy to use.

Now with functional signals using Digitrax SE8C

Edited by cteno4
Fixed YouTube embed
  • Like 6
bnicolas1987

Hi,

Speaking of announcements, I was wondering if someone know where to find stations announcements for the last night trains in Japan, Akebono, Twilight Express, Hokutosei, Cassiopeia, Sunrise Express and if possible Sakura / Hayabusa and Fuji / Hayabusa.

I think it will be quite easy to find some more actuals announcements like shinkansen Hababusa or so one.

Thank you if you can help me to find them!!!

Cheers.

Nicolas

Your project is amazing! Now all it needs is a projector system like in the Porsche Museum

and 

• Like 1
bnicolas1987

It's not exactly what I'm looking for, I was meaning platform announcement to put a better sound environment for my future layout.

I'm thinking in puting a sound decoder in the train or, cheaper way, a speaker near the platform to announce any train (Japanese, Swiss, and more).

Thank you very much, I'll search on YouTube to find those sounds.

Cheers.

Nicolas

Edited by bnicolas1987