583 series going to be retired

HantuBlauLOL

I'm surprised that trainset lasted this long, given that is the only one still running. I'm sure it will be quickly donated to a museum.

Hello,

I rode one with my family back in 1984.  It was a cold and rainy weekend.  I remember the train smelled of wet socks.  That's what I remember most.  I'm not even sure where we alighted or why we were going there.  I have always liked the look of the 583系.  It has a masculine, tough look ... like 183系 on steroids.  It will be sad to see it retired.

• Like 2

If I remember correctly, the 583 Series were originally developed to operate between Shin-Osaka and Hakata Stations on the San'yo Main Line on both daytime and overnight sleeper limited express services back before the Shinkansen was extended west of Shin-Osaka Station. Once the Shinkansen reached westward (Okayama in 1972, Hakata in 1975), the 583's were transferred to a number of other overnight services, especially Tokyo northward on the Tohoku Main Line.

We had a little commemorative run of a 583 Series on the T-Trak layout. Unfortunately I forgot to take a proper picture... :/

Also unfortunate is that this train is starting to grow and me and that I am leaning against the thought of someday getting a 583 in model. Japan just has too many interesting trains, let's leave it at that.