Hello from London

AllScales

Hello All!

I'm new to Japanese railway modelling, having arrived here via Kato Unitrack and Glacier Express...

Looking for one on ebay, I came across the Hakone Tozan 3 coach EMU, I neglected to buy it, but seeing the cute little two coach units made me think about doing something in Japanese N...

So now I've got two H-T EMU's with another 3 on the way!

My plan is for a small 4' x 3' layout of the Hakone Tozan, perhaps 4' x 4' if needed...

Maybe later a tram layout is on the cards, as I'm quite taken by the Unitram stuff. Although the Tomix stuff looks good too and perhaps a little more versatile for my plans (very sketchy at the moment).

Anyway: Hello to you all!

Cheers,

Friso

Edited by AllScales
  • Like 2

Hello and welcome. I live not too far away from the Hakone Tozan railway and it's certainly one of those very interesting little networks in the Kanto area. Small and very doable on a limited space.

Welcome friso!

Glad you found the asylum here with all the Japanese train freaks. It is an addictive hobby with a lot of selection and possibilities. Sounds like you have a good start. There's lots of threads in the forum around what you are interested in!

Cheers

Jeff

Hi All,

Thank you very much for the warm welcome!

Two more units have arrived recently, so I now have sufficient rolling stock to cover basic operational requirements.

My current plan is for a layout with lots of climbing and three stations in total:

At the bottom a loop with Tonosawa, inside the hidden part a branch leads up to Ohiradai, after reversing there, the train heads up to Gora.

As a linear plan, this is easy, trying to squash it into 1.2 x 0.9m is proving to be a challenge!

The very limit is 1.2 x 1.2m, as this is all that I can squeeze into the boot of the car! I would like to build this as an exhibition layout and don't really want the hassle of baseboard joints reducing reliability. Long distance car journeys will be bad enough!

So having introduced myself and my plan, I guess I should head over to rest of the forums to ask some Newby questions!

Cheers,

Friso

Welcome Friso. Also in London area and also making attempts to create a Hakone-Tozan themed line. My previous efforts are in a thread somewhere and my current effort is not yet worthy of publicly unveiling  :)

Friso,

Sounds like a plan! Start a thread in the layout forum if you want, always great to see layouts come together and evolve, we all learn from it!

Cheers

Jeff

Hello and welcome. I live not too far away from the Hakone Tozan railway and it's certainly one of those very interesting little networks in the Kanto area. Small and very doable on a limited space.

Hi Kabutoni,

You might just regret saying that! To be honest I have never been to Japan, but it's high up on my list.

My itinerary includes:

1. Hakone Tozan railway

2. Kato store

3. Tomix store

4. All the other touristy stuff...

;-)

I'm also glad to see a few others from London, maybe a London Area Group is called for? Perhaps in Soho over a few pints? I work in town, so anywhere in zone 1 is fine...

Right time for me to head over to the remainder of the forums!

Claude_Dreyfus

As there are a few of us in the area, a London meet up sounds a great idea. I live in Sussex, but work in the City.