Loving the Tomix EVA 500 Shinkansen!

malcoJOJO

After exact 30 days, my EVA finally arrived. What a beautiful model. I sure hope I can ride the real one next month. I do have a question about the inlet. On the picture you have two different ways to connect the 500. The one the right matches the way the 500 is wrapped, while the one on the left don't. Can anyone please explain.7defeaf8e139618a73916c4e0d32b75a.jpg

Edited by Sascha

The one shows you how to store it in the padded case and the other one shows you the running order for the train. It's pretty easy to figure out the running order from the numbers on the top of the cars though. 

• Like 1

@Sascha

This is what I found out about the urethane inlay

Actually I just read more about it.

It seems that Tomix went with the urethane inlay of the 16-car Nozomi because it's softer and more spacious to protect the rather delicate paintjob.

Tomix Kodama

Tomix Nozomi

Tomix EVA

• Like 1

You know, I haven't really liked most of the Shinkansen sets (shape wise) after the 200系, but I actually really like the looks of this one. And the EVA scheme looks fantastic on it.

• Like 1

It uses a bit larger diagram connector similar to the 500 but a bit bulkier. It causes the cars to derail A LOT I think by restricting movement at times on the coupling that the puts strain on the trucks/wheels and any track hiccup and it derails. I fiddled with mine a long time and gave up, it was derailing like 100x more than all other Shinkansens. Another club member got one a year or so later and same issue... never had a Shinkansen that derailed like that, at times it could not make more than a lap before going off and sometimes maybe a dozen or so laps. Also derailed all over the place so it was hard to find really bad things in the track causing it and we have most all other Shinkansens go for hours and hours with no derailments. Definitely the worst runner I ever have encountered like this and no real fix I could find. I own maybe 50+ Shinkansens.

Jeff

FYI, it looks like Kato have discontinued those weird connectors for the N700. The ones they're selling now look the same as the 700 series. I took a picture of them at the Kato store, but it's probably not a new change because my local train guy also has a set for sale that doesn't have the large weird connectors. I wonder if Kato would give you a trade in deal, since it looks like they recognize having made an error.