Iida to Nagano via the Iida, Chūō Main, Shinonoi and Shin'etsu Main Lines

Sacto1985

YouTube member Sirius113 just released this interesting zenmen tenbou video of a long trip from a 115 Series EMU from Iida Station to Nagano Station:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpqoQrl02MA

Taken in April 2011, note that this train uses the original Chūō Main Line to reach Okaya Station, then reverses course to go through the nearly 6 km tunnel of the current line to reach Shiojiri.

• Like 5

Spent a lot of time in Iida undertaking process development at a local electronics factory, was a really nice, quiet liitle town but unfortunately now has a highway straight through this, what used to be my favorite park...

post-265-0-57157500-1486746796_thumb.gif

post-265-0-22951600-1486746803_thumb.gif

post-265-0-39668200-1486746813_thumb.gif

• Like 1

I think at the rate things are going, the Chūō Main Line and the Shinonoi Line (along with the Shinano Railway) could be the last stand of the old JNR-era 115's. They'll probably be replaced by newer modified 211 Series trainsets, though I wouldn't be surprised if JR East might consider buying E129 trainsets also.

I think at the rate things are going, the Chūō Main Line and the Shinonoi Line (along with the Shinano Railway) could be the last stand of the old JNR-era 115's. They'll probably be replaced by newer modified 211 Series trainsets, though I wouldn't be surprised if JR East might consider buying E129 trainsets also.

They're still on the Joetsu Line northwest of Tokyo also:

Remember, even after JR East and Central finally retire their 115 fleets, JR West will run them for 10 more years :grin

Claude_Dreyfus

Okay, so it took me two evenings; but it was certainly a worthwhile watch. I travelled on the Chuo and Shinonoi lines a couple of years ago - happy memories!

• Like 1

They're still on the Joetsu Line northwest of Tokyo also:

Remember, even after JR East and Central finally retire their 115 fleets, JR West will run them for 10 more years :grin

only on the flat section of Joetsu.. it will be replaced by 211s i think, they already entered service since last year.

115s on minakami-nagaoka were already replaced with E129s

On a lot of the old routes run by the 115's they're already being replaced by either new trainsets or a lot of "hand me downs" from other lines--especially the 211 Series. The arrival of 227 Series on the San'yō Main Line between Tokuyama and Fukuyama portends the eventual end of 115 operations west of Himeji, probably replaced by even more 227's.

(EDIT: If I remember correctly, JR West used to run 113/115's west of Sonobe Station to Kinosaki Onsen Station on the San'in Main Line, but they've all been replaced by 223-5500 Series EMU's)

Edited by Sacto1985