It looks like Kato is doing a new run of HO items

Ken Ford

I see Hobby Search is taking preorders for a new run of a few Kato HO items - their DE10 locomotive, Yo8000 waycar, Taki43000 tank car (I never know they made these) and the one I've been waiting for - the Hoki2200 covered hopper which is a fantastic model and has been hard to find.

My Japanese HO has been on hold since the “Annus Horribilis” that was 2015, but being able to get a few more Hokis to finish up stock for my long proposed brewery micro would go a long way to getting me going again. Maybe. Lol.

I have an email in to Nariichi-san since #modeltrainplus is always my first choice for Japanese items.

• Like 3

Surprisingly, HS is currently offering these at 20% off, which is quite unusual for HO, while they are only 15% off at AmiAmi.  However HS may change their minds at some later point, as it strikes me that ~10% is generally their preferred discount.  I also noticed that both stores are now showing the DE10 list price as 15,120 - while the poster linked in the Kato thread shows it at 14,000, which is also what HS had a few days ago.  The other list prices have also edged upward a little from the poster prices.

One other note - on a Google image search for Hoki 2200, Ken's avatar shows up in the top 50 ;-)

Another oddity - this showed up further down

http://c8.alamy.com/comp/B74P18/the-2200-seater-concert-hall-at-the-palau-de-la-musica-catalana-barcelona-B74P18.jpg

and I immediately recognized it as the glorious Barcelona concert hall where I saw a performance in early May, 2005.  It seems that 2200 is the number of seats.

I've reached the point where I prefer good service over absolute lowest price. I do order occasionally from HS, but find ModelTrainPlus to have the best overall service and the easiest buying experience. Plus, I like supporting small businesses.

• Like 1

The 15120 is the including comsumption tax price. Ignore it for non Japanese buyers. For HS that is.

So why is it showing on their English, accessible outside Japan only site?

Been like that since their last webpage update. Sorry. No further info. You could ask them. The discount is still off the non taxed amount.

Edited by katoftw

Look what you started Ken, I thought I would be content owning 1 Japanese HO locomotive (EF510) but I couldn't resist the HO bug. I just ordered a DE10 and 2 Hoki 2200 from Nariichi.

• Like 2

You're not wrong, Ken, they're nice models alright. I'm going to get some more when they become available, so I can run a block train of them.

I reckon all of the RTR freight cars in HO from all the manufacturers are nice models. I just got some more Wara 1s from Aclass, they're very nicely detailed and finished. So are the Tenshodo Seki 3000 and 6000 coal hoppers.

But then I look at the quality and price of my JNR models, and compare them with what's available in Australian outline models in HO - there's no way I'll be going back to that...

Cheers,

Mark.

Hopefully Kato will do a new run of the Koki 104 2 packs soon, I wouldn't mind another pack or two. It would be nice though if they would offer different containers besides the 18D and 19D, at the very least paint then in a different paint scheme.

I have to keep telling myself that I only model n, because these look like beautiful models.  Wish Kato's N gauge offerings looked this nice. 

Uh-oh - time to email Nariichi-san again. Kiha58 series DMUs are being re-run...

http://www.katomodels.com/product/poster/files/2017_9a.pdf

I am just thankful that is isn't a Kiha40, as beautiful as these are I must hold out for an HO ready to run Kiha40 someday. I don't want to dive too deep into HO, your dollar doesn't get as far as it does in N scale.

Edited by keiichi77
  • Like 1

Japanese HO is a side interest of a side interest for me, but I've wanted a two car Kiha 58 consist for a few years now since Mark (I think it was) posted pics of his. I just preordered a powered Kiha 58 and a trailer Kiha 28 from Nariichi-san.

Edited by Ken Ford
  • Like 1
marknewton

Ken, I think I'm the only one who's posted photos of Kato Kiha58s in HO scale here, so you can blame me. :)

But that's okay, because I think you'll be very pleased with them when they arrive.

All the best,

Mark.

• Like 1
marknewton

I am just thankful that is isn't a Kiha40, as beautiful as these are I must hold out for an HO ready to run Kiha40 someday.

MicroAce made RTR Kiha40s in a number of liveries as part of their Project80 1/80th scale range a few years back. They occasionally pop up on Yahoo auctions, but they seem to go for crazy prices compared to their original RRP. I was bidding on one recently, but I gave it a miss once it passed 12500¥. Maybe they'll be re-run...

Cheers,

Mark.

Edited by marknewton
  • Like 1

I have a couple of KiHas arriving soon from Kato. A Kiha 58 (M) and a Kiha 65 in HO. Too lovely to resist. 

Are there any rules about diaphragms on the cab ends? I noticed you have the option parts when detailing. A lot of the images of the 65s have extendable diaphragms on the front but the pictures of 58s and 28s seem to be 50\50. It could be a lot of pictures of the same unit of course.

I’m not a rivet-counter by any means but can’t find any info about this.

26 minutes ago, Kamome said:

I have a couple of KiHas arriving soon from Kato. A Kiha 58 (M) and a Kiha 65 in HO. Too lovely to resist. 

Are there any rules about diaphragms on the cab ends? I noticed you have the option parts when detailing. A lot of the images of the 65s have extendable diaphragms on the front but the pictures of 58s and 28s seem to be 50\50. It could be a lot of pictures of the same unit of course.

I’m not a rivet-counter by any means but can’t find any info about this.

So kiha diaphragms are actually unlike those on passenger cars, in that in real life there is only one diaphragm which is stored on one car, but is extended to the other when coupling.  So if two cars both have diaphragms on the end one will have to be removed before then can be used.  Same if neither car has a diaphragm, one will have to be added.  In many modern lines this work is avoided by always leaving the diaphragm on one side of the car, but that doesn't work on places where the car can go on more than one line.  So any mix and match should work just fine, as there is a prototype for it.  Seems mostly one end had a spare diaphragm while the other did not, but there are photos of both.  In model form moving diaphragms are pretty rare, so most Japanese manufactures add a simulated stored diaphragm to both cars which when together looks like a single connected diaphragm. 

Edit: I've been very tempted by the HO kiha's as well, be sure to share pictures when they arrive!

Edited by Kiha66
  • Like 1

The search term seems to be 幌枠, or "hood frame".  It took a bit of searching, but here's a video of two 115 series being connected together.  The same design is used on most JNR rolling stock and a lot of modern ones as well. 

The diaphragm has small "dogs" which engage in slots in the front of each car, so it can be attached either way.  I believe most rolling stock depots keep extra's on hand to use as needed.

001.jpg

003.jpg

Stored and expanded, notice the hooks on the top and side to keep it secure when in the stored position 

004.jpg

The two holes found at the top and bottom fit into locating pins on the car body, which endure that the end is properly lined up along with the 7 dogs which lock it into position. 

Source for the 3d pictures:
http://old-staff.cocolog-nifty.com/blog/3dcg/index.html

Edited by Kiha66
  • Like 2
Need for High Speed

I wonder if Kato will ever make a new bullet train in HO they did once but will they ever make an E6?

or some other Shinkansen in HO?

That’s great info. Thanks Kiha. 

How about when a cab end couples to a tail end of another Kiha or a Kiro? Would the cab need a diaphragm to couple or would it just use the diaphragm of the coach in front?

I guess I’m more used to British EMUs that generally both have a connecting diaphragm on the cab front. 

Also, thanks to Kiha for the kanji to search for more photo reference. Without that I wouldn’t have come across this image, which is just awesome. Hokutosei van anyone?

2A63B6F7-BC26-411B-AA8B-0F373A7DA6F4.jpeg

Edited by Kamome
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4