Micro Layout - Help Needed

Sir Madog

I am in between two projects and would like to cover the gap by building a small roundy-rounder. While searching for some inspiration, I came across this very nice layout:

http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv185/SirMadig/post-742-0-43643700-1408235443_zpss65y5hel.jpg

I know I found this picture in this forum, but I have been unable to find it again. I would like to see some more pictures of it and learn how it was built.

Is there anyone who knows more about it?

Edited by cteno4
  • Like 3
Martijn Meerts

Stuff like that makes me wonder why I'm trying to build such a large layout ...

(and then I check my rolling stock, and remember why :D )

• Like 1

It's good to see you again, Sir Maddog - your posts here and at RMweb have always been an inspiration to me, especially the ones about your modular N scale layout.

The little one you posted here has always appealed to me, too; I have a piece of foamcore in the other room with a similar offset loop of Tomix tram track that I should work on to give my four Arakawa trams a home.

• Like 2

Thanks for the nice welcome back!

I have to admit that I have went astray in the last couple of years, building a Swiss narrow gauge layout, as I was able to free up some space for a permanent layout.

This layout is now up for sale, but once it´s gone, this space will be dedicated to a Japanese prototype N scale layout. It´s not a huge amount of real estate, something like 3 by 6 ft., but certainly sufficient to build an urban-themed, densely populated layout. Selling a layout takes a lot of time, which I want to cover by building a micro layout on a pinboard. Just to have something to work on and to play with.

I am still in the fact and inspiration collecting stage of planning this layout, so please baer with me if there won´t be any update in a short time.

I have spent some time today searching for more inspiration and accidently came acroos my old mini-modular layout concept, which I had changed in trhe course of building the layout.

With the exception of a few switches, I still have all track and modules I have built, so completing the layout in the way I had originally planned would be nearly a no-brainer!

EnoshimaRR1.540.jpg

More thinking is required - especially where to store the layout...

• Like 9

Welcome back! Good to see you again and good to see you thinking about picking up your old project again.

For storage, I'd suggest to make a high and narrow cabinet/construction to fit the modules in. That way you use the least amount of floor space. Alternatively, a box stacking system is also a good idea, as the modules will also be dust protected without any extra precautions.

Welcome back Madog!  Your mini-modular layout is what inspired me to finally move beyond just collecting trains and actually start building something, so I can't wait to see what you come up with next!

• Like 2

Well, storing the modules is a problem, as the only space available is occupied by the Swiss NG layout. The shelf I used previously had to be taken down in favor of a closet for storing my wife´s cloths and I´d better not argue about that ....

More thinking required!

Once in a while it can be helpful to check on what you´ve already got before making plans for new things!

Well, that´s exactly what I did today, finding my way into the storage room in the attic and looking at the modules I have stored there. Aside from the fact, that one of the switches has given up its ghost, the modules seem to be in good shape to resurrect them for future use.

Replacing the broken switch is not a big thing, as there is a switch in the mail for me.

With very little effort (mounting the track on the corner modules again, replacing the switch and giving everything a good cleaning), this is what I´d have:

N%20Modulanlage%202_zpsfc838fjs.jpg

N%20Modulanlage%201_zpsp10i2arr.jpg

N%20Modulanlage%205_zpsr5t7co1n.jpg

Once the Swiss NG layout is gone, I´ll be able to mount a table top onto the cabinet - that solves the storage issue, but until then ... - no idea yet!

I now will devlop some ideas for the corner modules - any idea is welcomed!

Edited by Sir Madog
  • Like 2

Hi Sir Madog,

Good to see you back!

Are you thinking of basing your layout on a specific prototype? If so, the are more specific search terms for certain layouts, but just doing a Google search for "コーナーモジュール" (literally transliterated English for corner module) comes up with quite a few interesting examples.

This is just something in between two projects, so I won´t be following any specific prototype. Generic Japanese scenery is just fine for what I intend to do with the layout - play!

Sir Maddog, I'm glad to see you working on this project again - your tunnel and bridge modules in particular have always inspired me!

Edited by Ken Ford

It feels good to be "back in business" and also being welcomed like the proverbial prodigal son!

I have given the layout some more thoughts, attempting to find a solution for the storage issue. The key problem is the size of the corner modules. I think I´ll be able to put up a shelf for the straight modules, but the corner modules need to be stored elsewere (not in the attic again...), unless I invest into some new curved track with a much sharper radius, i.e. 183mm. I don´t intend to run anything else than streetcars, so that radius shoud be fine. With the sharp curves, I could store the corner modules in the cabinet below the Swiss NG layout ...

I have a feeling I am slowly getting there ...

N%20Modulanlage%20Variante%201_zpsbmlrn6

N%20Modulanlage%20Variante%202_zps2vchli

N%20Modulanlage%20Variante%203_zpstgbshb

Next step is to develop some ideas for the scenery of the corner modules - on the right maybe a more urban setting and on the left a rural scene with either rice or tea fields. Not to forget either a 神社 or maybe a small 寺院 right in the middle.

Edited by Sir Madog
  • Like 1

Couldn't you just put them in a box (standing on their sides) and place that box in a corner or under a table? (as temporary storage only)

Couldn't you just put them in a box (standing on their sides) and place that box in a corner or under a table? (as temporary storage only)

I don´t think SWMBO would like that ...

She is very tolerant and even supportive when it comes to my hobby, as long as I keep things tidy and off the floor.

Madog,

I like the cart idea as you can also use the top as an extra workbench when needed and easily wheel the layout around.

You can get away with tighter corners with the trams. See what you can find for a cart to see the dimensions of the ends then. IKEA? Wire metal shelf system with wheels and 18" deep and then just face back and sides wirh hardwood ply? Or same thing with an open shelf kitchen rollaround and add sides and back to it. Lots of kitchen roll arounds around. Do they have second hand / reuse stores in Germany? I've seen many of these in stores like that here some almost new others just in need of a refinishing.

IKEA use to have a shelf system 16" deep and a 3' w x 3" tall would be perfect for this and slap their glass or solid doors on it and some wheels, done. But I think now they only carry 12" deep.

Jeff

Jeff,

I still have that metal bracket shelving system I used previously for the layout, so that will be reused.I have tive on a really tight budget these days, so recycling is the name of the game.

• Like 1

A couple of hours of hard planning work and the left corner module now sports a temple scene!

N%20Modulanlage%20Variante%206_zpsrztvjg

I am beginning to like it!

... and now for the right corner module ...

Edited by Sir Madog
  • Like 7

What software is this?

It´s SCARM, a freebie track planning program with quite an extensive track library. It´s a handy tool, not too difficult to learn. There are a number of excellent video tutorials available in the web.

I have been using it for about two years and have become quite handy with it, I think :P

• Like 1