Wat Ur Favourite Private/local J line and Why?

Thankyu6300

JR West Hakubi line.

Toyama Chitetsu/Manyosen.

Sangi Railway Hokusei line.

Oigawa Railway.

Fine selections, Mark :).  I'll also choose the Hakubi, and as Bikkuri mentioned, JR West's operation from Maibara to Himeji.  Another favorite is the Yosan Line, although I'm only really familiar with the Imabari-Sakaide section.

The Hakubi Line has great scenery, especially in the mountains from around Takahashi up to Mt. Daisen.  In the winter it often has a dusting of snow in that section.  The 115s and 381s help, too :grin.

As for the western Tokaido and eastern Sanyo, again there's a lot of great scenery.  You can see rural areas, urban areas, Lake Biwa and the mountains beyond it in Shiga, and some of the inland sea in eastern Hyogo.  Also in that area you can race Sanyo Dentetsu trains.  The 223 series provides large windows both in front of and behind the cab, so you can have a wide, clear view of everything as you hurl past it at 130km/h.  Also, I think a few services per day provide a single-seat ride from Banshu-Ako all the way to Tsuruga.

• Like 2

For some crazy reason, it's the Tsurumi Line.  I've liked it's mix of industrial and commuter service since I heard about if way back when.

Edited by Jcarlton
  • Like 2

My personal favourites are in JR East's Kanto network.....

Firstly the Keihin-Tohoku Line, all the way from Yokohama up to Omiya, via Tokyo. Tokyo's vast urban sprawl, and the fact that line runs through some of the densest packed parts of the region, it's continuously running through the vibrant heart of the Tokyo Metropolitan area.

Secondly, the Saikyo Line, especially after it branches away from the Tohoku Mainline at Akabane and follows the Tohoku Shinkansen up to Omiya. The line is elevated at the same level as the Shinkansen tracks, and along this section, the Tohoku Shinkansen also plays host to Joetsu and Hokuriku Shinkansen trains, Also, unusually for high speed trains, they are actually running at about the same speed as the local train you are riding, so you can get a good look at some very stylish trains that are usually just a blur from a conventional train. Also, after Akabane, the scenery becomes more suburban residential in character, so a chance to see more of Japanese lifestyles. After Omiya, the Saikyo Line becomes almost rural, it is a great change to see if you have ridden it from somewhere far to the south, such as O-Daiba!

Both of these lines are also attractive to me because the E233 Series are my favourite class of commuter/local train, and they both use them exclusively now. Although I also liked the Saikyo Line when it was still running 205 Series.

• Like 2

My favorite Private line is the Eiden Kurama Line, it is very short, but as it starts at the very northern edge of Kyoto and runs up to the small town of Kurama, and drops passengers off right at the start of climb up to Kurama-dera. It is a very scenic line, especially if you are able to take one of the Kirara trains! Also, the compact nature of the line is very appealing to me, as a modeler who is generally into great long trains!

Ewan

Edited by Ewan.in.gz
  • Like 2

My favorite Private line is the Eiden Kurama Line, it is very short, but as it starts at the very northern edge of Kyoto and runs up to the small town of Kurama, and drops passengers off right at the start of climb up to Kurama-dera. It is a very scenic line, especially if you are able to take one of the Kirara trains! Also, the compact nature of the line is very appealing to me, as a modeler who is generally into great long trains!

Ewan

Another favorite of mine that I only discovered in the last year!

After last night's JRJ, my Sweetheart would vote for the Kishigawa line. Of course she wants a Tama train. (BTW, is there one available from Tomytec...?)

Guess why. ;)

I enjoyed the Takayama Honsen line from Gifu to Takayama. The Takayama matsuri in the spring was fun as well.

Edited by tossedman