Trackside Item Questions ...

Gordon Werner

Gordon Werner
Good morning.

I have a few questions about some of the trackside items on the Keihan Keshin line. some of these may be a bit basic stuff (I think I used to know what some of the answers are) but I cannot for the life of me recall what these things are ... which makes it hard to explain to others.

Was hoping that someone here might be able to help.

1. these signs (red arrow) ... what are they indicating? they are not distance makers as they are not sequential 

a1.jpg

a2.jpg

a3.jpg

2. what are these devices (red arrow) ... they look like some form of signal, but I have never seen them lit (in person/on video/in photos)

b1.jpg

3a. the line uses standard 3/4 aspect (Red/Amber/Green) signals ... except in a couple of instances where these Position Light Signals exist (amber signal 3 three vertical lights. why do these appear, scattered about the line?

3b. the single lens green signals ... what are their purpose? is it a line of sight/clearance thing? or something else (lower of the two arrows)

c1.jpg

4. the grey hooded instruments at railroad crossings ... are they cameras? or simple sensors? are they sensing the train? or things using the crossing?

d1.jpg

5a. what is the purpose of the post with the three colored bands in these photos? (ROW centerline)

5b. what is the purpose of the metal posts w/yellow caps that are placed in the ROW centerline? they are wired so I am assuming some sort of sensor ... are they what turn on/off the anti-screech sprinklers? or are they lights for track workers? are they simply clearance indicators of some sort?

5c. what are the short wooden (painted white) blocks positioned along the track indicating? 

e1.jpg

e2.jpg

thx in advance for the assist!

G.

Edited by Gordon Werner

3 and 4 are part of the grade crossing security system. If a vehicle ignores the the gates and enters the crossing various types of sensors are used to detect that object.  It will not detect a person or a dog. When an object is detected the three steady vertical amber lights will change to flashing red lights. Like this:

Crossing emergency on the Meitetsu. Express Hikai video.

On the Hankyu railway. Video by ルポーネ.

This type of thing will attract the attention of police box officers in the more populated urban areas.

Japanese language crossing obstruction detection devices 

https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E8%B8%8F%E5%88%87%E9%9A%9C%E5%AE%B3%E7%89%A9%E6%A4%9C%E7%9F%A5%E8%A3%85%E7%BD%AE

Like I said these sensors do not detect dogs or persons who push through after the gates come down.

Naha 478 video in Tokyo on the JR Saikyo line.

Edited by bill937ca

Good morning.

I have a few questions about some of the trackside items on the Keihan Keshin line. some of these may be a bit basic stuff (I think I used to know what some of the answers are) but I cannot for the life of me recall what these things are ... which makes it hard to explain to others.

Was hoping that someone here might be able to help.

1. these signs (red arrow) ... what are they indicating? they are not distance makers as they are not sequential 

a1.jpg
a2.jpg
a3.jpg

Gradient markers, I suspect.

Not a very argumented explanation, but this is right from the top of my head:

1 = Grade indicator;

2 = Station stop indicator (two red or yellow lights), indicates a point to apply brakes to stop. These are only turned on when a train needs to stop at that station and will be off when not. This is very company and line specific though;

3a = Pre-signal to indicate the main (block)signal which is hard to see (in e.g. curves);

3b = Grade crossing safety indicator (lights up when the crossing is safe);

4 = Grade crossing occupancy sensor;

5a = no idea;

5b = Clearance indicators to hang chains from for lineside maintenance. The poles are ground-wired so in case of falling live catenary, they will direct the electricity right into the earth or wherever the wire is connected to (possibly a break circuit). These can be found more often in hard to see locations and stations;

5c = Profile clearance indicators. Also there for lineside work.

Edited by Kabutoni
  • Like 1

2. what are these devices (red arrow) ... they look like some form of signal, but I have never seen them lit (in person/on video/in photos)

b1.jpg

3a. the line uses standard 3/4 aspect (Red/Amber/Green) signals ... except in a couple of instances where these Position Light Signals exist (amber signal 3 three vertical lights. why do these appear, scattered about the line?

I think these are repeater signals, which give advance warning of the next signal (which may be inconveniently placed).

I think these are repeater signals, which give advance warning of the next signal (which may be inconveniently placed).

Actually, that'd be '3a' in this regard (I called them pre-signal here :P, damn my latin preferences).

Edited by Kabutoni
Gordon Werner

thx folks ...

one thing tho ... 

the signal with the three vertical amber lights 

c1.jpg

that isn't the grade crossing "X" light ... this is a position light signal that uses the lights to convey multiple things ... usually that the route ahead is clear through a major interlocking ... but that isn't the case on the Keshin line ... they seem to be placed at odd locations and nowhere near a switch/turnout ... 

this is the crossing clearance light

DSC_2716_7.jpg

as for the gradient markers ... what does the number indicate? I am assuming that the direction of the sign w/number indicates the direction of the gradient ... but what does "61.0" mean? is that the ∆ between this and the next marker? i.e. 61m change up/down till the next sign?

Edited by Gordon Werner

thx folks ...

one thing tho ... 

c1.jpg

that isn't the grade crossing "X" light ... this is a position light signal that uses the lights to convey multiple things ... usually that the route ahead is clear through a major interlocking ... but that isn't the case on the Keshin line ... they seem to be placed at odd locations and nowhere near a switch/turnout ... 

position lights indicate for shunt moves.  they only indicate approval to move forward, not a route is clear and free.  these are not position lights though.

both are repeaters.

there is a crossing further up.  since the crossing and associated signals are around a bend/curve and unable to be seen at a distance, these repeaters are place somewhere near the start of the curve so on oncoming train has a better ability to know the situation around the corner.

read this:- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_railway_signals

Edited by katoftw

No, the three position light signal is not a shunting signal. It's a repeating signal (中継信号機) for a hard to see main signal.

• Like 1

thx folks ...

one thing tho ... 

c1.jpg

The thing at the top is a three aspect repeat signal, so called because it repeats the aspect of a signal out of view, in this case the signal it is repeating is green, if the signal were yellow it would show a diagonal row of lights and for red horizontal.  The signal would apply to the left hand track as it is common to place signals on the opposite side on curves for sighting purposes.

Gordon Werner

The thing at the top is a three aspect repeat signal, so called because it repeats the aspect of a signal out of view, in this case the signal it is repeating is green, if the signal were yellow it would show a diagonal row of lights and for red horizontal.  The signal would apply to the left hand track as it is common to place signals on the opposite side on curves for sighting purposes.

ok that makes perfect sense.

thx

as for the gradient markers ... what does the number indicate? I am assuming that the direction of the sign w/number indicates the direction of the gradient ... but what does "61.0" mean? is that the ∆ between this and the next marker? i.e. 61m change up/down till the next sign?

61.0 is 61 permils, or 6.1% gradient. There will be another marker when the grade changes or levels out.

• Like 1