RM Models magazine or Tomix catalog

kbreck

I am looking for some print material for inspiration/motivation.  RM Models has some great layout pics, what about the Tomix catalog?  Which would you choose?  Both are around the same price but I can only budget one for now.  Thoughts?

Tomix catalogue doesn't have much in the way of layout pictures at all. RM Models is not guaranteed to feature actual layouts either. If you want a magazine with many layout pictures, something like 鉄道模型Nゲージを楽しむ would be better (though it features more ordinary people's layouts, not highly-detailed dioramas).

• Like 1

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-RM-MODELS-November-2016-Vol-255-Magazine-From-JAPAN-/282217490262?hash=item41b5792756:g:iTUAAOSwLF1X~nFq

This is currently the lowest priced one on eBay.  The February issue is $4 more, but includes a calendar.

However, this might be a better value - both in terms of price and benefit in what you're looking for.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Diorama-Collection-Perfect-Manual-RM-Models-ArchiveJapanese-Book-/282259571887?hash=item41b7fb44af:g:s5wAAOSwmrlUytic

Edited by velotrain
  • Like 1

thanks velotrain, I had seen the RM archive magazine and have it in my watch list.  has anyone any experience with it, seen it before?

Ya know, with these magazines it's really kind of a guess.   Which ones will have a inspirational layout.   Hence, pay attention to the 2nd or 3rd photos included.   What's really kind of sad is the fact that these magazines are sort of a catalog (28 pages in the current #259 RM of a 180 pages) - just because, it'd be my guess the editors just can't find enough people building small N-trak or T-trak layouts to be photographed.

A few months ago they took photos from a drone and inserted them in the magazine.   So as to give a better view which Google Earth can't provide.   For modeling.   Hence, in these issue they do have some photos of some small country station and what's surrounds it, etc.    They probably know, their short comings and are probably always trying to find something the other magazines lack.

You might checkout the N-Trak Organization as some of their past magazines are online and can be downloaded.   Just their current ones from 2017-2015 are offline.

As for those ads on Ebay.   A bit pricey.   Though, I wonder if RM Models or some of the other ones are ever going to put out a DVD with magazines in the .pdf format from ten or twenty years ago.   So as to try and capitalize on those old issues that are out of date.   The Narrow Gauge & Short Line Gazette here in the US sells their early issues to current for about $125 or so on a DVD disc.   If your looking for ideas or something to read.   When I got mine, after about a week I was so burned out on Narrow Gauge stuff.    But I do come back and have a look.

Edited by Kb4iuj

My copy of RM Models Diorama Collection arrived today, and I'm generally disappointed by it.  It has a few dioramas, and one well done "medium" sized layout, which is strangely presented in three separate articles, although with different photos.

There are some ads, but I'm more bothered by the majority of pages having photos of cars and trucks, both model and proto.  It seems they're trying to present everything that is currently available, or perhaps that was ever produced.

I had earlier bought the Tomix Diorama World, which I would say is the better value.  There are a few close-up shots of small scenes, but most of it is sweeping panoramas of very large scenes - which are likely temporary.  There are many very large yards - with well over a dozen tracks if not twice that, and diorama scenes which must be 3-4 meters on each side.

It's attractive, but at the same time strikes me as overly slick - sort of like Model Railroader.  The tracks are ballasted, except between the ties, and the sides of the rails aren't painted, so it ends up looking like well-detailed, and somewhat realistic dioramas - given away by train-set track.

I had earlier bought the Tomix Diorama World, which I would say is the better value.  There are a few close-up shots of small scenes, but most of it is sweeping panoramas of very large scenes - which are likely temporary.  There are many very large yards - with well over a dozen tracks if not twice that, and diorama scenes which must be 3-4 meters on each side.

It's attractive, but at the same time strikes me as overly slick - sort of like Model Railroader.  The tracks are ballasted, except between the ties, and the sides of the rails aren't painted, so it ends up looking like well-detailed, and somewhat realistic dioramas - given away by train-set track.

The layouts in shown Diorama World were, as far as I know, built to showcase products in the Tomix catalogues; in the first edition (7401) they appear to span models from a couple of decades with the most recent entry for around 1997. It is fun picking out the non-Tomix products (mainly Greenmax buildings) necessary to build varied cityscapes...

Tomix 7401 - one or two pictures of several modules and layouts

Tomix 7402 - all pictures of a large layout (the one shown on the cover) 

Both magazines are nice but I have to choose I would pick up the latter. 

Having the opportunity to see a layout from different angles, it helps to learn more things.

Cheers,