Where can I find some line maps like these?

I was exploring Shinjuku one night and found a series of maps that seemed to denote the furthest points that a normal person would commute from:

qSLeBDX.jpg

Are there any maps available online where it's a colored strip, with dots for the station names?  Most seem to have really thin lines or have them geographically correct which can be hard to read.

Also, what lines are depicted?  The colors don't match up with the Shinjuku wikipedia article.

Finally, what do you consider to be the furthest reaches of the Tokyo network that a person could commute from, while still keeping their sanity?

Edited by bluejeans
Are there any maps available online where it's a colored strip, with dots for the station names?  Most seem to have really thin lines or have them geographically correct which can be hard to read.

Some can be downloaded here: http://www.jreast.co.jp/map/

Finally, what do you consider to be the furthest reaches of the Tokyo network that a person could commute from, while still keeping their sanity?

On normal commuter services, more-or-less the limits of that map. Depending on the route, how many changes, times of day etcetera.

Me, I leave commuting for other people.

Takahama Trainwatcher

If you want the lot (not just JR), the 3rd map down (Greater Tōkyō/Yokohama Area (Subways, JR Lines, and Private Lines)) at http://www.mukiryoku.com/railmap_e.html may satisfy you.

When I have purchased maps (I go crazy at the 100 yen shops) they seem to have shown the network out to 80 km from the cetnre of Tokyo (or maybe 100 km for some). I would think, though, that you could commute from somewhere like Mito (115 km) if you were willing to pay the premium for the limited stops Hitachi or Tokiwa services.

Most regular Ltd. Express services usually thrive on these commuters, as professional travel expenses are usually deductible from the employer. Depending on your position in the company you work for, or your income, I've heard stories of daily commuters who travel by Shinkansen to the centre of Tokyo and then take a short trip by Metro or otherwise. You can do +100km commutes easily like so, though it's not very common.

Some can be downloaded here: http://www.jreast.co.jp/map/

On normal commuter services, more-or-less the limits of that map. Depending on the route, how many changes, times of day etcetera.

Me, I leave commuting for other people.

When I sneaked into gran class on the Hayabusa, I saw one of those thick timetable books and proceeded to buy every single one that a bookshop had near the end of my trip.  Not knowing Japanese, is there anything I can use to translate the station names?  I imagine google would try to translate it like a word.

The Google Translate app for smartphones lets you translate directly from your camera or a picture. It's almost like a real Babel fish, but with text instead of the spoken word.