Modemo type 880 question

kbreck

Hi all,  a newbie here and I was looking at my first purchase which was going to be the above tram/lrv when I noticed in pictures of the tram that the motor is visible thru the windows.  Is it very visible and if so is their a way to smoke the windows or something like that? Also, is their any other passenger units that have the motor visble (Tomix, Tomytec)?  thanks!!

Did you mean Toden  8800? You could smoke out the windows. I don't have any experience with that myself.

Edited by bill937ca

Tomix, Kato, microace and greenmax are usually hidden under a raised floor with seat backs. Works pretty well.

Most of the modemo trams you can see the motors and the tomytec trams and trains as well that you assemble from the mechs and unpowered cars as Kato mentioned.

You could use tinted acetate or Mylar in the Windows. One place to get this is get some window. Tinting samples. It's a thin Mylar film you can apply to the plastic. I've seem some tinted tape as well. There is also stuff at the craft store called gallery glass. It's an acrylic paint you can put on clear plastic or glass to imitate stained glass and a whole variety of shades and effects. You could try to paint or cover the motor up with some colored paper like kato mentions and mount some people right next to the Windows to break up seeing in further. Sometimes giving the minds eye just a little hint of the interior up front causes it to fill in the rest of the picture from memory and ignore other blank bits behind it. There was an old Bachmann tram that came with paper inside the Windows with profiles of riders on the tram.

I usually don't notice the motors on the modemo trams that much, you have to get pretty close to see them. The tomytecs are a little lower usually and mostly all black so don't stand out too much. If the raised floor is notice le to you in the motor car of the regular passenger trains you can clip off some figures at the stomach and glue them in for good effect.

Exception tram is the Kato portram that has its micro motors in the truck itself so you see the whole interior to the floor, but it is unique in this fashion for a powered tram (or train for that matter!)

Cheers

Jeff

Hi kbreck,

I think you will find that the innards are not as noticeable when running the actual tram as they look in close-up photos.

Rich K.