Japanese Modelling & Japan Rail Enthusiasts Forum
gavino200

Questions about the "Kato" EM13 decoder

I used a LokPilot Micro v4. They're readily available here, have plenty options, and well, I have the ECoS and ESU's LokProgrammer device, so going with ESU makes the most sense in my case :) I use ESU for pretty much everything, and they recently announced a new function only decoder which is really small, so that one should fit in pretty much all cab cars. I do also use Lenz decoders now and then, especially the Silver+ Mini, since that one can be set up as a function only decoder with bipolar outputs, which is great for especially MicroAce cab cars, since they sometimes use multi-color LEDs.

With regards to the wheels, I'll replace them 1 by 1, so all the drive rods etc. should not get messed up. But you never know :)

With regards to the wheels, I'll replace them 1 by 1, so all the drive rods etc. should not get messed up. But you never know :)

Ah, yes that would be the smart way to do it. I took them all out at the same time and rebuilt, one by one. I had to draw a pretty good diagram and arrange the parts carefully to do it. I forgot to note the position of that little piston connecting rod, though. 

I'll do it the sensible way next time. :)

Edited by gavino200

I managed to pick up a  drawbar today. Next up, Morning Daylight with sound. Just have to pick up a suitable decoder.

I have the cars all running smoothly. They go through all parts of the track at any speed with no derailment. They're on the yard waiting for the GS-4 to return.

Got my replacement wheels, only replaced the single driven wheel so far, and the train does run better, but still not as smooth as I'd want it to. Will replace the other wheels when I get some time.

• Like 1

Have any of you guys measured the stall current of the GS-4? Given how sensitive the wheelset can be, I'm reluctant to put downward pressure on the loco to force a stall. 

According to this article the stall Amps are .33. That seems low.

I notice that the EM13 peak total current listed in the motor decoder sticky thread table is 1.5amp, while many others have 2amp limits.

Anyone believe .33 for a GS-4 stall amp? Anyone measure it themselves? 

I'm still deciding on sound vs. motor only. There's no rush as I'm currently rewiring my layout. But would it be wiser to choose a decoder with a higher peak current limit for this engine even if I decide not to go with sound?

Can't say I've ever measured it, but I have installed decoders in 40 year old locomotives which have motors which likely have a much higher stall current than modern motors, and I've never had any issues.

I've found that Kato and Tomix especially use very little current while running though, so .33 amps doesn't sound unreasonable.

• Like 1

kvp   

1.5 amps is for H0 scale. Most N scale decoders are in the 0.5 to 1.0 amps range. 0.33 amps for a locomotive that has rather sensitive wheels and an efficient motor seems fairly normal. For this to happen, the motor should have a resistivity of around 36 ohms between its two brushes.

• Like 1