Toni's Tripping over Trains

Kabutoni

Toni, are you referring to the Jōban Line local track service from Ayase to Toride? Just how much service is on that "local" line that demands trains from three different companies (JR East, Tokyo Metro and Odakyu)?

Yes those 4000 series are being fitted with cbtc equipment, the system is scheduled to go online in 2020. Will make for an interesting comparison with Atacs on the Saikyo Line which will be switched on shortly this autumn.

Interesting! I bet if that's a success, Odakyu would be quite likely to implement a similar system on their network.

Toni, are you referring to the Jōban Line local track service from Ayase to Toride? Just how much service is on that "local" line that demands trains from three different companies (JR East, Tokyo Metro and Odakyu)?

Yes, that service is the one I'm referring to (Kita-senjyū ~ Ayase/Toride). This line already has a direct connection with the Chiyoda line for a long time and this line already has 15-car trains in operation for a long while next to the 10-car through services on the Chiyoda line. The 'Local' refers to that all trains stop on all stations. Parallel to the 'Local' tracks runs the 'Rapid' Jyōban line, which also shares services with the Ltd. Express services. It's a system much like the Chūō-Sōbu and Chūō-Rapid lines, but with even less interaction between the two.

I think a demand for fast South-west to North-east through service is enough reason for this though operation to exist. The Chiyoda line is the fastest through connection on that corridor and very suited for this purpose. It's no wonder Odakyū and Tōkyō Metro also run a joint operation with Romance Cars (MSE 60000 Series) from Kita-senjyū to Hakone (and seasonally to Enoshima).

Edited by Kabutoni

Yes, that service is the one I'm referring to (Kita-senjyū ~ Ayase/Toride). This line already has a direct connection with the Chiyoda line for a long time and this line already has 15-car trains in operation for a long while next to the 10-car through services on the Chiyoda line. The 'Local' refers to that all trains stop on all stations. Parallel to the 'Local' tracks runs the 'Rapid' Jyōban line, which also shares services with the Ltd. Express services. It's a system much like the Chūō-Sōbu and Chūō-Rapid lines, but with even less interaction between the two.

I think a demand for fast South-west to North-east through service is enough reason for this though operation to exist. The Chiyoda line is the fastest through connection on that corridor and very suited for this purpose. It's no wonder Odakyū and Tōkyō Metro also run a joint operation with Romance Cars (MSE 60000 Series) from Kita-senjyū to Hakone (and seasonally to Enoshima).

I suspect there's probably not that much demand to go from the Odakyu line all the way to the Joban line or vice-versa but I presume it will substantially reduce the number of services which terminate at Yoyogie Uehara or Ayase, making through-trips to/from the Chiyoda Line in either direction much more convenient.

I suspect there's probably not that much demand to go from the Odakyu line all the way to the Joban line or vice-versa but I presume it will substantially reduce the number of services which terminate at Yoyogie Uehara or Ayase, making through-trips to/from the Chiyoda Line in either direction much more convenient.

Probably true. It makes up for the changing of the crew, switching moves, etc. The overlap of services will make things much easier for everybody. That said, there are some services (semi-express (準急)) in the morning and evening that go from Hon-atsugi all the way to Abiko, which are probably there to serve overlapping commuters on that stretch (and are accidentally also the fastest and cheapest alternative from start to end).

I've started a new Twitter account for train stuff: https://twitter.com/Kabuto_Models Not much is on it yet, but here is some proof the weather isn't that inviting to go train hunting this summer holiday:

DHVTAXuXcAA7sR4.jpg

Just look at the height of the river :/

DHVS95PWsAE2GFg.jpg

GRAAAAAY I'm actually wearing long sleeves mid-August...

• Like 4

Great pictures tony!  I may be in the minority, but I very much enjoy the rainy train pictures.  It probable helps that I grew up in southern California, where rain is a very rare occurrence.  

I've started a new Twitter account for train stuff: https://twitter.com/Kabuto_Models Not much is on it yet, but here is some proof the weather isn't that inviting to go train hunting this summer holiday:

17th day of rain registered in Tokyo... mind you I kind of prefer it to the searing sticky heat, but that's just me.

I also vastly prefer this weather as opposed to the extreme humidity. It's just not very inviting to go out and hand around on stations with limited shelter and no vending machine (the maximum level of technology is usually an ancient announcement system, a few lightbulbs, ticket machine and pasmo check-in/out spot).