Photo

U.S. Army operated trains in occupied Japan.

postwar passneger us army

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 velotrain

velotrain
  • Members
  • LocationBoston, MA

Posted 10 January 2017 - 10:45 PM

Maybe asking the writer of the original article for up to date information might work.

Hiroshi Naito, the author, is the fellow who the JRS guy says he forwarded my message to.

I had asked him to enquire about any knowledge of the current status.

Charles

#22 velotrain

velotrain
  • Members
  • LocationBoston, MA

Posted 10 January 2017 - 11:06 PM

On the subject of American rollingsock in Japan I took these photos through a knot hole in a side door of the roundhouse at the railway museum in Otaru last September.  I have as yet been able to find out anything about it and have only found one photo online that shows it in the distance but I assume it could be a replica that they run behind their 2-6-0 in the museum grounds.

attachicon.gif20160912_134029.jpgattachicon.gif20160912_134045.jpg

I'm not sure it's a replica, as I don't know why they would bother to add a fictitious maintenance (?) date.

It definitely looks narrow gauge to me, as it seems to be sitting quite low to the ground.

I checked for railroads around Hinckley, MN and there are some SG lines.  However, there were a good number of NG logging lines in the region.

I can't decide if that's O.A.R.K. or G.A.R.K.  In any event, I didn't get any hits for it in MN.

Charles

#23 velotrain

velotrain
  • Members
  • LocationBoston, MA

Posted 10 January 2017 - 11:59 PM

I did a search too and after the 2nd dozen of used car shops, auto parts shops, scrapyards and more empty patches of farmland with cars just stored tightly on them, i gave up.

I wonder if the city has some sort of historical society?

Surely someone must know something about it.

Charles

#24 marknewton

marknewton
  • Members
  • LocationWaterfall, NSW, Australia

Posted 11 January 2017 - 05:49 AM

I might see if I can do a model of the Toowoomba​ in time for the Toowoomba model train show this year.  A Kato スロニ30 should be a close enough stand in for a スロニ31.  I'm assuming the stripe below the windows was white.

I've got a book with a couple of colour photos showing cars like these, and yes, the stripes are white.

Cheers,

Mark.
  • westfalen likes this
Modelling late Showa-era JNR in 1/80th scale.

And the ringing in my ears from playing too loud,
I hear the ocean, I hear the crowd.

#25 velotrain

velotrain
  • Members
  • LocationBoston, MA

Posted 11 January 2017 - 01:20 PM

I did a search too and after the 2nd dozen of used car shops, auto parts shops, scrapyards and more empty patches of farmland with cars just stored tightly on them, i gave up. The ex farm area east of the tracks is just a big scrapyard. Some of the stored cars on unlabeled and unfenced patches visible on streetview look like the previous owner hasn't even cleared out his/her personal stuff.

Maybe asking the writer of the original article for up to date information might work.

I heard from Hiroshi Naito, who wrote the article, today and he says:

"I checked the plot where the car was located on Google Earth and was easily able to  identify the plot.

But, unfortunately, the plot appeared to be vacant now. Not only the car but also the used car shop itself were gone."

Charles

#26 kvp

kvp
  • Members
  • LocationBudapest, Hungary

Posted 11 January 2017 - 02:22 PM

Imho, the name of the closed shop could yield the name of the old owner, who (or any of his relatives) in theory could give a clue about the fate of the car.

#27 westfalen

westfalen
  • Members
  • LocationIpswich, QLD, Australia

Posted 11 January 2017 - 10:14 PM

I'm not sure it's a replica, as I don't know why they would bother to add a fictitious maintenance (?) date.

It definitely looks narrow gauge to me, as it seems to be sitting quite low to the ground.

I checked for railroads around Hinckley, MN and there are some SG lines.  However, there were a good number of NG logging lines in the region.

I can't decide if that's O.A.R.K. or G.A.R.K.  In any event, I didn't get any hits for it in MN.

Unfortunately I wasn't there on an operating day but I measured the operational trackage in the museum grounds and it was 3 foot gauge, I thought it was a curious choice for a Japanese operation but their operating loco came from South America I believe.  I've since found a better photo of the train with caboose. 

https://commons.wiki...e_Ironhorse.JPG

There is a similar looking Rio Grande NG caboose with the same number but it is on the C&TS.  My thought was that it was a replica and O.A.R.K or G.A.R.K. was the builder but like you I couldn't find any reference to them anywhere.

Just one of the many mysteries of Japan, you never know what you will find behind a door or around the next corner.

Edited by westfalen, 11 January 2017 - 10:27 PM.

#28 velotrain

velotrain
  • Members
  • LocationBoston, MA

Posted 11 January 2017 - 10:36 PM

I don't know if they provide a contact email address on their site or not, but that's probably the easiest way to get the fact of the matter.

Charles

#29 velotrain

velotrain
  • Members
  • LocationBoston, MA

Posted 20 January 2017 - 08:42 PM

I contacted the Aspen Historical Society to see if they had any info on the D&RG Frederick.  They sent me photos of a newspaper article from 1991 announcing the pending closure of the Parlour Car restaurant.  The owner states that the car was being used as a chicken coop when he found it, so a lot of restoration work was involved.  This is in two large files 2.5+ Mb, so if anyone is actually interested in seeing them, send me a PM.  I'll try to crop the images to make the file size a bit smaller.

Now - if only we had some closure on the Japanese end.

Edited by velotrain, 21 January 2017 - 05:57 PM.

Charles

#30 westfalen

westfalen
  • Members

Posted 04 June 2017 - 09:31 PM

Allied Forces car 2530 ​Toowoomba​ on display on my sister-in-law's military museum T-TRAK module at the Toowoomba model train show on the weekend.

Attached File  IMG_2072.JPG   149.04KB   1 downloads

• kvp and Kiha66 like this

#31 velotrain

velotrain
  • Members
  • LocationBoston, MA

Posted 04 June 2017 - 10:01 PM

I'm curious - the background hardly looks like a T-Trak layout, and her module seems far deeper than T-Trak standards?

Is this some alternate design?

Charles

#32 westfalen

westfalen
  • Members

Posted 05 June 2017 - 12:30 AM

I'm curious - the background hardly looks like a T-Trak layout, and her module seems far deeper than T-Trak standards?

Is this some alternate design?

It is a standard inside corner module.

Attached File  vs170605-001.jpg   176.83KB   0 downloads

Edited by westfalen, 05 June 2017 - 12:33 AM.

#33 velotrain

velotrain
  • Members
  • LocationBoston, MA

Posted 05 June 2017 - 12:40 AM

Thanks, that explains it - and you saved 993 words ;-)

Charles

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users