U.S. Army operated trains in occupied Japan.

Atomsk

Imho, the name of the closed shop could yield the name of the old owner, who (or any of his relatives) in theory could give a clue about the fate of the car.

I'm not sure it's a replica, as I don't know why they would bother to add a fictitious maintenance (?) date.

It definitely looks narrow gauge to me, as it seems to be sitting quite low to the ground.

I checked for railroads around Hinckley, MN and there are some SG lines.  However, there were a good number of NG logging lines in the region.

I can't decide if that's O.A.R.K. or G.A.R.K.  In any event, I didn't get any hits for it in MN.

Unfortunately I wasn't there on an operating day but I measured the operational trackage in the museum grounds and it was 3 foot gauge, I thought it was a curious choice for a Japanese operation but their operating loco came from South America I believe.  I've since found a better photo of the train with caboose. 

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Otaru_Museum#/media/File:Steam_locomotive_Ironhorse.JPG

There is a similar looking Rio Grande NG caboose with the same number but it is on the C&TS.  My thought was that it was a replica and O.A.R.K or G.A.R.K. was the builder but like you I couldn't find any reference to them anywhere.

Just one of the many mysteries of Japan, you never know what you will find behind a door or around the next corner.

Edited by westfalen

I don't know if they provide a contact email address on their site or not, but that's probably the easiest way to get the fact of the matter.

I contacted the Aspen Historical Society to see if they had any info on the D&RG Frederick.  They sent me photos of a newspaper article from 1991 announcing the pending closure of the Parlour Car restaurant.  The owner states that the car was being used as a chicken coop when he found it, so a lot of restoration work was involved.  This is in two large files 2.5+ Mb, so if anyone is actually interested in seeing them, send me a PM.  I'll try to crop the images to make the file size a bit smaller.

Now - if only we had some closure on the Japanese end.

Edited by velotrain

Allied Forces car 2530 ​Toowoomba​ on display on my sister-in-law's military museum T-TRAK module at the Toowoomba model train show on the weekend.

post-182-0-88102000-1496640658_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I'm curious - the background hardly looks like a T-Trak layout, and her module seems far deeper than T-Trak standards?

Is this some alternate design?

I'm curious - the background hardly looks like a T-Trak layout, and her module seems far deeper than T-Trak standards?

Is this some alternate design?

It is a standard inside corner module.

post-182-0-44806200-1496651584_thumb.jpg

Edited by westfalen