Rail buffs swarm Osaka station as new Series 323 loop train starts

bill937ca

Japanese newspaer Asahi.com reports on the launching of the new Seris 323 on the Osaka loop line Decembe 24, 2016.

OSAKA--With rail buffs waiting excitedly to crowd in, West Japan Railway Co. (JR West) introduced the first train dedicated to serving this city’s loop line on Dec. 24.

The launch of the new train is meant to standardize all trains serving the Osaka Loop Line to a three-door type. The loop line has been serviced by differing types of trains whose number of doors varied, inconveniencing commuters.

http://www.asahi.com/ajw/articles/AJ201612250032.html

Of course, there is railfan video of the event.     Dr.YELLOW movie by charonzoom You Tube video.

Edited by bill937ca
  • Like 3

An amazing amount of people! the Japanese really love their trains! It's at events like these where the JR staff are at their busiest ~~

Funny everyone rushes to the front of the train to get the front view train video!

However, one week later, it will just be another train...   :)

There's actually a HUGE number of videos on YouTube showing the first day of operations of the 323 Series EMU, including many zenmen tenbou videos. Here's an interesting on showing the craziness of railfans on what appears to be the first operational service of this trainset, starting at JR West Kyobashi Station:

This is where the normal politeness of the Japanese goes out the window....

• Like 2

I don't like this thing. Simply because it's there to replace the 103 and 201 series EMUs which I really like. :sad10:

Edited by Suica
  • Like 3

I don't like this thing. Simply because it's there to replace the 103 and 201 series EMUs which I really like. :sad10:

While I kind of agree, the combination of the 103 and 201 Series EMU's rapidly aging and the need to standardize on a single three-door car design (necessary since JR West plans to install platform doors at every station on the JR Loop Line) is why the 323's are arriving to replace them.

The shoe that has the same colour looks cool though! Although the train looks more or less the same as the 225 series...

I believe the 323 Series is based on the 227 Series now running in the Hiroshima area, which in turn is based on the 225 Series running in the Keihanshin region. Indeed, when you hear a 323 accelerate out of a train station, it sounds almost exactly like a 227 doing the same thing.