Toei announces 5500 series for Asakusa Line

Toei has announced the 5500 series for the Asakusa Line.

The exterior design 'tells you it is fast' and has a livery using colours inspired by Kabuki theatre. The interior 'evokes the image of traditional Japanese washi paper' and features patterns of the Edo Kiriko glass craft.

The train features a wheelchair space, larger open spaces around the doors and more hand handles. Seats will also be wider than those of the current trains.

The maximum speed of the Toei 5500 series is 120 km/h, opposed to the 110 km/h of the current 5300 series rolling stock from 1991. The first new unit will be delivered in Spring 2018, after 7 other units will be delivered in the same year. The other units replacing the remaining 5300 series will be delivered subsequently, to make it in time for the Tokyo 2020 Olympics.

Source: https://trafficnews.jp/post/61002/

• Like 1

Looks very Kansai-esque. Not really a fan. It was about time the 5300s were getting a replacement, but this is not very much in their spirit, though in line with the recent designs Tokyo Metro has ordered.

I would consider Kansaiesque a positive characteristic wrt to rolling stock, though really this looks like Nippon Sharyo's modular design. With proper bolster bogies to run on Keikyu rails.

back to 3 doors per side?

i like the design, new face for tokyo area trains.

Toei interline partners Keikyu and Keisei use 3 doors/side as their standard.

Not bad, but it looked like the result of one 323 series ran away from home and met the queen of Chuo line the 353 series and had a night of passion....

Edited by JR 500系
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Guest keio6000

it's like the cheap chinese car mod kit version of a E353 at least tarted up the correct toei asakusa colors more or less easily visible (something the new yamanote sets could not accomplish).

I'm not seeing any Kansai in this new train.  Looks like most of the recent Tobu or Toei trains of recent years.  I do like the front shape compared to the regular Tokyo subway trains.

Toei interline partners Keikyu and Keisei use 3 doors/side as their standard.

i see..

You mean just like the 5300 series?

wait, i didn't realize that 5300 also had 3 instead of 4 as the shinjuku and mita line had 4  :laughing6:

• Like 1
On 28/9/2017 at 2:41 AM, Densha said:

I quite like the slanted door windows. Can't remember having seen that before on a train.

As far as i know, the only trains with similarly-designed windows are the Type H (Grossprofil) and HK (Kleinprofil) of the Berlin U-Bahn

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/pEoTtWQyjT4/maxresdefault.jpg

and the series MA200 for line A of Rome's metro.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-KyViiReR3mY/T3cNcWgoyGI/AAAAAAAAAuk/wtkUzwOERpw/s1600/atrbcfemttibb_ma200.jpg

Edited by Socimi
added MA200 series

I think there is an art deco feeling to the sides but the two front flaps next to the coupler is a bit forced. Maybe if the middle part wasn't painted black...

10 hours ago, railsquid said:

Looks like a flattened Keisei Skyliner from the front

Actually the same end styling as the Tokyu 2020 series.  Video by  こつあず鉄道ちゃんねる

Or Tokyu 6020 series.  Video by SeikyuLine.

Edited by bill937ca