Suggestions for a new "L" shaped layout

gavino200

This is a project that I'm doing with my 8 year old son. The shape and size of the table are the result of how much room I could talk my wife into giving up. I don't have any specific plan in mind. Usually I just start laying out track and see what happens.

Can you give me some suggestions or pointers? 

Bridges, tunnels, different levels would be great. Hoping to have at leas one city area, and a decent stock yard.

This is my biggest layout yet, so I might be a bit out of my depth. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

post-2435-0-51256100-1480981670_thumb.jpg

Edited by gavino200
  • Like 1

Attached is a layout I came across while browsing in Japanese pages.  Basically double track main line and 3 controllers.

post-75-0-36798300-1480983435_thumb.jpg

The outer border of the "L" is 9' x 14'. It's 2' deep. (' = feet).

It's going to be pushed into the corner against the wall.

Most of our trains are Kato. Most are modern but we have a few steam engines too.

We also might add one of those tomix bus lines. I'm not sure how big the turning loop as to be for those, so it may not fit.

Edited by gavino200

Attached is a layout I came across while browsing in Japanese pages.  Basically double track main line and 3 controllers.

attachicon.gifm_20160215-1.jpg

Thanks. That layout is interesting. I doubt that I could fit the inner track. My "L" right angle is tighter than this one. Also, the blue loop looks like the radius might be too tight for steam engines (not a deal breaker, but definitely a minus)

Regarding the controllers, we have DCC, so I don't think that applies.

Gavino - If you go back a couple of pages in that thread - specifically messages 1828-1833, you'll see some info on a recently released bridge set from Kato that this track plan was specifically designed for.  There's no reason you can't use this bridge, but as you'll see it is intended for a rather rural setting, and you mention wanting a city.  You might be able to work it in on one of your return loops - say at the long end of the L.

Most of the guys want as many trains running at the same time as possible, which is why double track and/or an elevated Shinkansen line are prominent in most trackplans.  You could perhaps have double track loop through much of the layout - perhaps using two of the wider end sections for turning around, and then switch to single track at one end if you want to use this bridge.

If you haven't already, look through the "Inspirational Layouts" thread to get an idea of what's out there, and what you might want.  Since you've already built the table, you've limited yourself to some extent, but you still have many options.  It might be best to try multiple temporary set-ups before committing yourself to a permanent design.

BTW - when I see "stockyard", I tend to think of cattle pens and slaughterhouses.  There are other terms, and folks can chime in on what they think is most appropriate, although to some extent that depends on how you plan to use these tracks operationally.

Interesting project! By the way, nice wood work for the tables! A big enough space for a nice complex L-shaped layout, you have a very understanding wife!

Have fun with ideas compilation to see which layout you would finally like to adopt. Here are some more sites that gives good ideas on layout tracks and diorama building:

http://primmodel.web.fc2.com/layout.htm

http://layout.client.jp/index.html

http://www.katomodels.com/unitrackplan/

This is a good L-shaped layout too:

Plan02_58_78_th.jpg

It has 2 yards and a long length to run trains on ~

Edited by JR 500系
  • Like 1

Gavino - If you go back a couple of pages in that thread - specifically messages 1828-1833, you'll see some info on a recently released bridge set from Kato that this track plan was specifically designed for.  There's no reason you can't use this bridge, but as you'll see it is intended for a rather rural setting, and you mention wanting a city.  You might be able to work it in on one of your return loops - say at the long end of the L.

Most of the guys want as many trains running at the same time as possible, which is why double track and/or an elevated Shinkansen line are prominent in most trackplans.  You could perhaps have double track loop through much of the layout - perhaps using two of the wider end sections for turning around, and then switch to single track at one end if you want to use this bridge.

If you haven't already, look through the "Inspirational Layouts" thread to get an idea of what's out there, and what you might want.  Since you've already built the table, you've limited yourself to some extent, but you still have many options.  It might be best to try multiple temporary set-ups before committing yourself to a permanent design.

BTW - when I see "stockyard", I tend to think of cattle pens and slaughterhouses.  There are other terms, and folks can chime in on what they think is most appropriate, although to some extent that depends on how you plan to use these tracks operationally.

Thanks Velotrain. Yes, we want to run as many trains as possible. We had three on our last layout (4x8) but the smallest line had tight radii. I'm gussing I'll have two mainlines and a bunch of sidelines.

I like your suggestion of trying temporary set-ups. I think I'll do that. That takes the pressure off needing to get it "right" first time. 

The 'Inspirational layouts' are amazing. Lot's of great ideas there. 

Point taken about "stockyards". What I mean are those branching sidelines, for parking trains. 

Interesting project! By the way, nice wood work for the tables! A big enough space for a nice complex L-shaped layout, you have a very understanding wife!

Have fun with ideas compilation to see which layout you would finally like to adopt. Here are some more sites that gives good ideas on layout tracks and diorama building:

http://primmodel.web.fc2.com/layout.htm

http://layout.client.jp/index.html

http://www.katomodels.com/unitrackplan/

This is a good L-shaped layout too:

Plan02_58_78_th.jpg

It has 2 yards and a long length to run trains on ~

I LOVE it!!!!!  Those urban scenes are awesome. 

Yes, my wife is pretty understanding :) 

Edited by gavino200

My ten year old has a mess of Kato track and two doors that we arrange end to end or in an L shape. The layout changes monthly as he explores different ideas.

• Like 1