Laser cutter

tossedman

Finally got the laser cutter up and running. Spent some time with training and working out the software for the cutter and still have lots to learn. Here are a couple of pics of my first attempt at cutting 6mm baltic birch plywood last Friday. These are just the end pieces of the base for a T-Trak module that I tried out on some scrap. The fit is amazing. I cut them as separate pieces, with the joints cut separately, not using the interlocking part as the cut line. The width of the cut (kerf?) is about about .5mm. These two pieces took a grand total of 12 seconds to cut in one pass. Can't wait to try more. Looking for a supplier of Polybak now as well.

IMG_7367.jpg

IMG_7369.jpg

Cheers eh,

Todd

Edited by tossedman
  • Like 4

Yeah, I was amazed. It did the cut, just looked like it etched the line and the machine stopped and indicated job done. I picked up the plywood and the pieces fell right out. Next plan is cribbage boards for a teacher who wants to start up a cribbage club. Here's the prototype, cut out of matte board.

IMG_7371.jpg

Had a chance to play a bit more with the laser cutter. Here's the first T-Trak module. Need to adjust the size so it matches up with the ones we already made but that'll just take a minute or two on the computer.

Cheers eh,

Todd

laser.jpg

laser1.jpg

laser2.jpg

Edited by tossedman
  • Like 7

Ah Jeff, but I've hardly begun... Made 93 name badges for staff members yesterday. Those took 39 minutes to engrave the school logo and staff names and then cut out. Cool stuff man. I'm loving it. Getting more training next week to find out more of its capabilities. Everyone should have one. And one of these too. We should all have one of these. https://formlabs.com/3d-printers/fuse-1/

Cheers,

Todd

Bought some Polybak today for school. Three 49" X 97" sheets. Cost me about 30 bucks. Found a local place that will sell the school individual sheets, not 100 sheets at a time like I'd read about online at some places. Got a 0.011",  a 0.020" and a 0.024" sheet to experiment and see which works best for what. Need to cut it up into small enough pieces to fit the laser cutter and then see what we can come up with. This stuff can be cut with scissors. It's pretty thin.

IMG_7607.JPG

Oooh cool stuff! I know what it is but I've never seen it sold as a separate material! Should be great for structure base material. 

How do colored red construction papers cut with this? Do the edges cut clean or do they singe? Could use them for the colored surfaces (large variety out there of colors) and this stuff for the core.

being a teacher as well to get places cut you a break! Folks tend to be nice to teachers! I've had luck at the plastics warehouse in the past when they had a minimum purchase when I told them of what the project was and they usually got into it. Now they don't have that minimum anymore luckily. 

So envious! 

Jeff

Hey Jeff,

Haven't tried construction paper as of yet. Cardboard doesn't singe at all so I'm hoping the construction paper doesn't as well. I'll see if I can try some tomorrow. This teaching thing though is interfering with my playing.

The thin polybak is only 0.011" thick so might be good for window mullions and other fine details. Don't know if it's thick enough to send on it's own though.

I play the teacher card every chance I get. It often opens a lot of doors. It was funny though, as I was picking the stuff up another customer looks a me and says "I know you! You were my junior high school teacher back in 1994!" Turns out he has his own millwork business now and was picking up some laminate. I didn't recognize him for some reason. Last time I saw him he was 14. Now he's 36. Lol.

Cheers,

Todd

Lol, that's great Todd, you taught him well.

oooh does sound great for window mullions! 

I think you need class projects now of making 1/150 buildings. 

Jeff

This week I went to the Fablab near my home to try a new thing: make my own cardboard kit...
The fablab is equipped with a Speedy300 Laser Cutter and after a few tests on the cardboard, I have I was able to try cutting a first building.
 IMG_20171031_215821.thumb.jpg.8e9cb17a907590e898bae74ff1dcb5a2.jpg

IMG_20171031_215919.thumb.jpg.90221f668c1ee3312559b18a75d12746.jpgIMG_20171031_215913.thumb.jpg.ec473227dfd3eb95285168ce2ec55eb1.jpgIMG_20171031_215913.thumb.jpg.295179b0c4f8bcbd345ae52d66253155.jpgIMG_20171031_215905.thumb.jpg.8dd0fa3fdaad981585c044b5c47b9cef.jpgIMG_20171031_220351.thumb.jpg.af33b26a54dfe3a2ca63ff398cd5644a.jpg

Some details are too small and many joints are not good (calculation error, I did not take enough into account the loss of material from the laser and the thickness of the material). I am still very happy for a first test.

• Like 7

excellent Edos! Especially for a first whack!

i am tempted to try our local maker shop, but last check it was quite expensive and a bit of a process to get in and it's a nasty drive from the house... more excuses to get my own, right?!

jeff

Cool Edos2300! I've been playing with mine a lot. No train stuff yet but finding what the "kerf" is and incorporating it into your cuts take a bit of effort. It's not large but enough to be noticeable. What kind of paper did you use? Thanks for sharing.

Todd

Edited by tossedman

On the thin stuff you have to reduce the power and kick up the speed. Don't worry about the single pass as the time evens out but it is the quality of the cut that counts.

The thin stuff chars easy so the fast multi pass allows the material to cool down. It reduces the charing.

There is a 14 pt card stock called Tuff white that is a good all around paper board. you can cut good detailed pieces with it.

small.IMG_2356.JPG.6d30df21f7d345427f071

One note the width of the cut should not exceed the thickness of the material. 

Create a Material setting sheet.

This is a sheet that will allow you to dial in any new material you add to your inventory.

The sheet has all the colors lines listed with its power, speed and pulse settings.

You draw your test box one of each color and list the values on the sheet.  When the job is complete inspect the cut and note the best cut. This speeds up the dialing in process.

Its tedious but worth the effort. You want the material to vaporize not burn or melt. All material has its threshold and the sheet will help you find it. 

Inobu

Edited by inobu
On 10/31/2017 at 5:38 PM, cteno4 said:

excellent Edos! Especially for a first whack!

i am tempted to try our local maker shop, but last check it was quite expensive and a bit of a process to get in and it's a nasty drive from the house... more excuses to get my own, right?!

jeff

Go try it Jeff. It's worth the drive.

Todd

Well it's more driving time that play time, not a fun drive in traffic most times and the rate ain't cheap and you need to take a costly class before getting to play.... time is precious enough right now I'd rather save the money and time and get my own small cutter later here when more time opens up and they keep getting better slowly here! 

Jeff

• Thanks 1