Newbie From England Saying Hi

Snakeman4968

Hi all,

Not sure what to tell you about myself, but in short i've had an interest in Japanese trains, primarily Shinkansens, since i was about 8 years old...and i'm now 48.

I finally got round to visiting Japan back in September 2016 and got to ride on 3 different N700A Series (Odawara to Nagoya, Kyoto to Hiroshima & Hiroshima to Osaka).

Was kind of hoping that would 'scratch the itch' and get it out of my system...but far from it, it's basically opened a can of worms!!

I didn't realise there were so many different types of Shinkansen and i am now planning a return trip to japan, hopefully taking in the Hokuriku E7/W7 from Tokyo to Nagano, 500 Series from Osaka to Hakata, as well as the Kyushu 800 Series from Hakata to Kagoshima..plus any other trips i can squeeze out of a 7 day JR rail pass. Would love to ride the 500 'Type Eva' but may not get there in time for spring 2018.

As for modelling, i am a huge fan of Kato N Gauge. I wanted to buy a Kato set in the gift shop when i visited Kyoto Railway Museum, but couldn't fit one into my suitcase.

Since returning back to the UK i have sourced 2 Kato Unitrack sets (V11 & V12) along with 2 controllers and a pair of 8 car Shinkansens (N700A & 500 Series)...so not a bad start, all be it a pricey introduction!! Sadly i don't have room for a permanent layout, so the snap together/snap apart aspect of the Kato double track really appeals to me.

My current wish list includes a Kato Kyushu 800 Series and a Hokuriku E7/W7...as well as a 500 'Type Eva' if i can get hold of one when they come out.

Sorry to go on...and to think, i started this post unsure if i had much to say about myself :-)

Thanks,

Dave (Snakeman4968)

Edited by Snakeman4968
  • Like 2

Hi Dave, welcome to the forum.  There's plenty of information and help available here, and feel free to ask anything about models, prototypes, or even travel in preparation for your next trip.

• Like 1

Dave,

Welcome to the club! Many are sucked in this route! Unitrak just enables the habit even more, being able to set up on the fly and play trains easily! Out train club here did out show layouts setting up in the fly with Unitrak for 5 years.

Very glad you are getting to Japan to ride the real trains. its so easy to have a great railfaning holifay there!

Lots of interesting stuff here to feed your interests. Eventually maybe a modular or sectional layout will work for your limited space or other compact or stow away options. Also check out Barry lovel's article on setting up on the fly with scenery bits, helps increase the things you can do and still pack things away easily. Btrain shorties are also a way to pack a lot into a small space.

Cheers

Jeff

http://japanrailmodelers.org/pages/modelingjapan/tempoary.html

http://japanrailmodelers.org/pages/modelingjapan/btrainshorty-pt1.html

• Like 1

Hello Dave!

Welcome!

No worries with the introduction, it makes us know you better!  :)

Japanese N gauge modelling is what I have always been looking for in a hobby, something that combines both of my loves; Japan and Train.

The Kato Kyushu 800 series is being re-release soon in March 2017, you can pre-order them here: http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10150093  (But not just limited to HS, there are also many other online retailers including Model Train Plus, Loco1, Ami etc. Please check the retailers section for more) 

The Kato Hokuriku shinkansen E7 or W7 are also available:  http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/search?typ1_c=104&cat=&state=&sold=0&sortid=0&searchkey=kato+e7+hokuriku   and their counter part the W7;  http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/search?typ1_c=104&cat=&state=&sold=0&sortid=0&searchkey=kato+w7+hokuriku

For the Eva 500, it depends which brand you would like. The Kato one is only being made available in Japan, but our friend at Model Train Plus can possibly help you with this. For the Tomix one which I highly recommend, you can get it here: http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10402431  Although HS has reservation closed status, other retailers should still be able to help you order.

Do note that there is also Tomix, which is my personal non-biased choice for shinkansens ~

Have fun!

Edited by JR 500系
  • Like 1

Thanks for all the welcomes,

I think it's time for me to start looking into Tomix models as well as Kato.

• Like 1

Dave,

Kato, tomix, and microace are all great! You will find a huge selection. There are some minor differences between them and you will find various discussions here on the forum about them. Ask questions if you have them, you will get plenty of opinions and answers!

Tomix has a near feature on the Shinkansens with all wheel pickup and power coupling so you have a great amount of wheels getting power to your motor and lights so no flickering! But they don't usually have as pretty of diaphragms, so there are small tradeoffs! Tomix can be a little harder to wire in dcc decoders as well.

Microace does a lot of odder trains that Kato and tomix don't, but usually come with longer and uglier rapido couplers,mbut other forums of prettier and closer mounting couplers can be added on.

Lots and lots to choose from!

Cheers,

Jeff

• Like 1

As for modelling, i am a huge fan of Kato N Gauge. I wanted to buy a Kato set in the gift shop when i visited Kyoto Railway Museum, but couldn't fit one into my suitcase.

I brought a KATO M2 set + E7 train as hand luggage. The check-in staff were so intrigued by the train set that they rebooked me for free to a quieter place in the airplane where I could comfortably stash my train set in the overhead locker bins.

• Like 2