Some more 1/80th scale projects.

marknewton

Some other modelling projects in progress:

gallery_22_66_422413.jpg

Kato Kumoha 40. Bought second-hand, it had a damaged pantograph and was missing one roof ventilator. I've replaced the panto with one from Tomix as a stand-in until the correct pattern is available. The ventilator will be replaced by a similar one from a HobbyModel set intended for a 101 series EMU.

While I've got it on the workbench I've given the roof, underframe and running gear some light weathering with my favourite medium, Tamiya weathering sticks and packs.

Cheers,

Mark.

Edited by marknewton
  • Like 5

Turns out this is an even worse case of Engrish than I thought... I'm not even sure what to make of it.

Looks like Endo does indeed really calls it the "PRUS series" officially. They do so on their official website as well. At first glance I assumed this was a misspelling of "PLUS," as does the Wikipedia article on Endo.

Looking at the official description of the "PRUS series" at the official website, it says "made of plastic" in Japanese. Plastic in Japanese is written in katakana as (in romaji) "PURASUCHIKKU". If you get rid of the "CHIKKU" part and remove the "A", you also get "PRUS".

So it may even be a sort-of abbreviation of the word "plastic", which actually makes more sense in this context because I don't see why a plastic model would be superior over their brass series models.

So far my late-evening Engrish rumblings...

• Like 3

Never understood the never ending fascination with Japanese misspellings (or rather romaji renderings of katakana) of English words- yeah it's good for a momentary laugh but nobody cares in Japan because the products are intended for domestic consumption. Btw great models Mark!

• Like 1

Thanks bb. I've got a few book-off days in the next roster, so I should be able to get some more work done on them.

Cheers,

Mark.