Yesterday and this morning I did some retrofitting and upgrading of models I made in the 1970s and 80s. All of these models have since been superseded by more modern offerings, but I wanted to get these running again as momentos of what we early N scalers had to do "back in the day" to get decent running models.
The models are Lone Star rubber band drive and Ibertren 3-rail models that I repowered with Minitrix mechanisms, which were some of the best running and pulling locos of the day. However, over time, the bushings on the motor shafts began to slip, so I removed these and squared off the shafts. I fitted square brass tubing over these to seat into the drive shaft connector to the trucks. This prohibits any slippage and the locos all run great again.
In the process, I also replaced some of the worn motor brushes, cleaned up all the electrical contacts, relubricated everything and touched up some paint.
Attached are photos of the locos involved: First: two British Lone Star models: Type 2 D5100 Class 24 Bo-Bo and Type 2 D5900 Class Bo-Bo.
Second: Ibertren RENFE (Spanish) 2100 Class ALCO and Ibertren New South Wales (Australian) 44 Class ALCO "World".
Finally, my A-B-A Canadian Pacific set. All three units are powered, drawbarred and interwired for reliability. Canadian modelers: I now know about the roof stripe - which I didn't back in the 1970s - so no "rivet counting", please!
- Paul Ingraham, AsiaN (and other) Rail
Edited by Railtunes, 20 June 2017 - 10:59 AM.