What did you do on your layout today? (N scale)

bill937ca

In the next episode ( :) ) I will:

...and maybe add one tiny walkway to the edge of the module, so people don't have to teleport/portal/walk on the grass to get inside.

Had a crack at the corner module today, this used to be a road module but due size and weight I decided to make it smaller so it's now become a canal module. To be based roughly on the river that's next to Ochanomizu station. Not a copy by any means but used for reference. It required a lot of re engineering of the base board but I'm happy with it thus far. The river will be made separately and installed at the end. This lets me continue working on it while waiting for the realistic water to dry on the river.

This was the module in original form

post-921-0-75583300-1492841466_thumb.jpg

New size and cut out with reinforcement

post-921-0-42710000-1492841602_thumb.jpg

Edited by Eurostar25
  • Like 7

Thanks guys! Since this hobby can be a solitary activity, compliments mean a lot! This layout is 18" by 36". I made it to be portable, so I took it outside to get some sunlit photos.

post-1699-0-43873000-1492990122_thumb.jpg

post-1699-0-75016600-1492990167_thumb.jpg

post-1699-0-60874700-1492990186_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Great work! Perfect for btrains. Take this to a local train show or get together with some btrains and you will get a lot of interest and maybe find some others locally to play with.

Kudos,

Jeff

Very nice, but I think you hired the wrong staff. ;)

(Buddhist temple <-> Shinto priest(esses))

Oops, my ignorance shows. Thanks, I'll get the right figures. However, my daughter bought the figures at Yodabashi in Tokyo on her last trip, so they stay a while! Edited by Rmsinsd

Not much going on the layout due to elder care issues consuming much of my time and energy. But I revised my 60 x 30 layout to a simplified three track layout (R243, R280, R317) with a potential four track station. The station should be able to accommodate five car trains.  The key to all this is the Tomix 1278 and 1279 R280-317 curved turnouts. Added a few cables today for turnouts and power feeders.  Looking forward to trains constantly arriving and departing at the station once its all finished and running.

Overall view.

post-75-0-94119100-1493235146_thumb.jpg

Kato Chuo Line Kokuden and part of my Kato 10-1170 Series 101 Chuo LIne train.

post-75-0-10382100-1493235173_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Same here. Playing with trains. I put up a rare temporary layout today:

IMG_20170427_103509.jpg

IMG_20170427_104306.jpg

IMG_20170427_103445.jpg

The coreless motors from Greenmax. I can't get enough of them! It really was a good investment, as it's a pleasure to see my trains crawl around with very little sound. The new Tomix Sanriku 36-700 is a growling monster compared to my Tōbu 6050/634s!

Also, I hope I can get a day off next week to hop on a 6050 somewhere in Tochigi-ken during the Golden Week...

Edited by Kabutoni
  • Like 7
serotta1972

Same here. Playing with trains. I put up a rare temporary layout today:

IMG_20170427_103509.jpg

IMG_20170427_104306.jpg

IMG_20170427_103445.jpg

The coreless motors from Greenmax. I can't get enough of them! It really was a good investment, as it's a pleasure to see my trains crawl around with very little sound. The new Tomix Sanriku 36-700 is a growling monster compared to my Tōbu 6050/634s!

Also, I hope I can get a day off next week to hop on a 6050 somewhere in Tochigi-ken during the Golden Week...

What are you talking about rare temporary layout - everything you've been building has been temporary, up one week and gone the next including your contest winning and magazine worthy T-trak module. :)  Glad to see others just playing with their trains.

• Like 3

What are you talking about rare temporary layout - everything you've been building has been temporary, up one week and gone the next including your contest winning and magazine worthy T-trak module. :)  Glad to see others just playing with their trains.

It's a constant battle towards progress. Can't have progress without deconstructing old ideas.

Edited by Kabutoni
  • Like 2

Thanks guys! Since this hobby can be a solitary activity, compliments mean a lot! This layout is 18" by 36". I made it to be portable, so I took it outside to get some sunlit photos.

This is a really cool layout and really nicely done,good effort there buddy

It's a constant battle towards progress. Can't have progress without deconstructing old ideas.

I see it more as a constant battle with lack of storage space and a layout building material shortage. Imho keeping old stuff to collect dust is not a bad thing as long as you can put it somewhere. (btw. i also have a problem with storage space, but i'm still keeping old stuff anyway)

• Like 3

Playing with scenery.

This was the starting point for a T-trak modul:

post-212-0-99814000-1493325324_thumb.jpg

I glued the fence and some parts of the wall that is under construction, and started to play with other scenery items just to see how the modul will look like in the future.

post-212-0-70385200-1493325422_thumb.jpg   post-212-0-33169800-1493325429_thumb.jpg

Beside of this we built a test track from T-trak moduls in the club, so now we can run our trains on it anytime, instead of using the Hungarian modul system (that would mean a lot of cleaning works). And I forgot to take a picture about it, but next time I will.

• Like 6
enodenlover

I got all the track for my current layout glued down the other day and tonight I finished the last of its five grade crossings. Next comes a project that I'm not really looking forward to, cutting roadways out of sheet styrene.

• Like 1

Time fairy! haha that's a good one! Just that he/ she didn't visit me for sometime now...

By the way I love how the road lines up nicely in level with the tram tracks! Are those original Tomix ones, or some other material? It's perfectly level!

Time fairy! haha that's a good one! Just that he/ she didn't visit me for sometime now...

Try having a toddler in the house...

By the way I love how the road lines up nicely in level with the tram tracks! Are those original Tomix ones, or some other material? It's perfectly level!

Didn't you ask this before? ;) Anyway the Tomix tram tracks are 6mm high, which is precisely twice the height of two sheets of 3mm Tamiya foamboard stuck together.

Laid out this track with all the stuff that I have and it seems to work, except maybe the 3 parallel sidings should be set the other way so that locos leave in the running direction.

Because I have to set up and take apart on the dining room table I want to get a layout that i can replicate and then try to add modules of scenery (e.g the housing square) on foam board, so that eventually it can all be put down as a temporary layout but looking more permanent.

For layout see http://www.jnsforum.com/community/topic/12906-please-help-with-identification/

post-3935-0-60742100-1493388874_thumb.jpg

post-3935-0-46668700-1493388876_thumb.jpg

post-3935-0-15771700-1493388878_thumb.jpg

post-3935-0-95467900-1493388879_thumb.jpg

post-3935-0-33929900-1493388881_thumb.jpg

post-3935-0-96858000-1493388882_thumb.jpg

post-3935-0-35674800-1493388884_thumb.jpg

post-3935-0-21831100-1493389040_thumb.jpg

Edited by buckingham
  • Like 7

Great progress buckinham!

Bummer to have to take it down, but your concept works great for this. I assume you may have seen this article

http://japanrailmodelers.org/pages/modelingjapan/tempoary.html

If not, it's basically what you are describing. Wargamming is a great place to look for inspiration here as they do to all the time. Brown or green sheet works well to protect the table and give a neutral, natural ground cover and if it's not the wife's best sheet you can poke holes in it to run wires under the material. Also fabric stores usually have a bargain bin that you can't find hunks of material you can cut up to make some other colored areas and even glue them down to the base sheet. Even colored construction paper works well for this. Lots you can do on the fly fast to create perceived scenery and amazing how much the minds eye will fill in bleaker spots withnjust a little nudging!

One warning on doing scenery on foamcore is moisture and paint can sometimes shrink on the top side and pop a good warp into the small piece. You can try doing a few light coats of spray paint (like cheap primer gray laquer) evenly on both sides to help seal it up, but even this can warp some pieces and try not to get it on the foam much as it can eat it. Experiment some first. Plain stryene sheet works well for this and is pretty resistant to warping. For larger areas Formica sheeting works really well as it's super rigid and flat. I've gotten it very cheaply on sale and at second hand builder shops. It's basically fiberglass so a little itchy to cut up (need to use a saber saw or band saw) but makes really robust, thin and flat base material.

Have fun and will love to see what you do with this!

Cheers

Jeff

• Like 1

I ve read that article jeff,which just proves that a really good layout can be made as a temporary one if you can store it away safely.

scotspensioner

Buckingham

I was very interested to see this because it's a few steps further than what I'm doing myself at present. Maybe given time?

• Like 1