Japanese Modelling & Japan Rail Enthusiasts Forum
bill937ca

What do you do today on your layout?

Kiha66   

Looking good dustin!  What you are looking for is a "pin vise", which is a tiny hand held drill bit holder.  I got this set myself recently, but any set with small metric drill bits will work.  I really like that kiha 58 SSL, I may have to get one of those for myself!

Gryphr   
18 minutes ago, dgreen787 said:

The layout is currently the simple loop with a passing siding, but yesterday I added the small detailed bits to the KiHa58, with the exception of the radio antennas? that sit above the driver's compartment on each car. And yes, the 787 still needs its extra details.

Also, not sure if the question belongs in another section, but does Tomix or any of the other suppliers make a hand drill to make the holes that the piece fits in to? A guide for the holes came with the train, and it specified a .5mm drill bit. I haven't seen anything along those lines on Hobbysearch or the other Japanese online shops, and Amazon is giving me bits for power drills.

The sea side liner is really looking nice there :)

It seems Tamiya for example has 0.5 drill bits (http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10237542) and something called a Pin Vise/Pin Vice (http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10237538) that seems to function as a handpiece to put the drill in? Not 100% sure how this works as I don't have these myself but I think this might be what you're searching for. You probably might be able to get similar stuff from your local Amazon or Tool/Hobby shop.

Edit, Kiha was a tick faster than me there :D

Edited by Gryphr

41 minutes ago, Kiha66 said:

Looking good dustin!  What you are looking for is a "pin vise", which is a tiny hand held drill bit holder.  I got this set myself recently, but any set with small metric drill bits will work.  I really like that kiha 58 SSL, I may have to get one of those for myself!

38 minutes ago, Gryphr said:

The sea side liner is really looking nice there :)

It seems Tamiya for example has 0.5 drill bits (http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10237542) and something called a Pin Vise/Pin Vice (http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10237538) that seems to function as a handpiece to put the drill in? Not 100% sure how this works as I don't have these myself but I think this might be what you're searching for. You probably might be able to get similar stuff from your local Amazon or Tool/Hobby shop.

Edit, Kiha was a tick faster than me there :D

Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for.

nah00   
13 hours ago, serotta1972 said:

That looks great nah00 and I thought all you did on your spare time was apply car numbers and destinations boards on Shinkansens. :)

Sometimes when my eyes go crossed from doing that for too long I try to do something that doesn't require so much squinting. Although if I lived in Japan and it was easier to get the Geomatrix destination signs that would be a different case. 

• Haha 1

Working on a 17 x 23 bulletin board tram layout first on a small shrine then a shotengai.  Figures and vehicles will come later.

IMG_5530 1024 x 768.jpg

IMG_5534  1024 x 768.jpg

• Like 3

Not so much on the layout, but I managed to create a Adaptor car for the railway, by switching some trucks around on this hopper wagon using some of the cheap rolling stock I picked up a few days, ago now the fact that my US loco and some rolling Stock have buckeye couplings and most of my other rolling stock has Rapido couplings doesn't mater as I can just throw in the adaptor car xD.

WP_20170904_14_04_18_Pro.jpg

WP_20170904_14_05_04_Pro.jpg

Edited by Wonderbolt
readding images
  • Like 2

ianlaw   

I've been applying transfers to my Tomix kiha 181 and 182 units. Coach nrs, and destination boards. Tomix doesn't seem to include them. Luckily I have a few from Kato which I can use. Even if the destination doesn't match the train, which nobody can read without a strong magnifier, they look better than with the bare see through destination indicators.

IMG_20170904_183906.jpg

• Like 4

Kabutoni   

The thin foam boards I've used -not surprisingly, have started to bend a bit a day after I glued them down. Probably used too much glue that started to react with the material. Not really terrible, as the layout could be improved. Today I got an epiphany where adding two hidden sidings would add a lot to operations and add two extra consists to run (previously limited to three consists).

IMG_20170906_041250.thumb.jpg.b581d731c876903092626abede64e605.jpg

The curved sidings on the foreground also add a little bit of extra dynamism, as well as the curved track in the background.

Now secretively thinking of adding another hidden siding in the other running direction for even more operation possibilities... I mean, it's possible when shortening the layout by an S70 length and adding it to the right side... Hmmmm... Well, that's not going to work. It'll make the layout impractical and look chaotic. xD

Edited by Kabutoni
change of mind
  • Like 4