What did you do on your layout today? (N scale)

bill937ca

Looking good dustin!  What you are looking for is a "pin vise", which is a tiny hand held drill bit holder.  I got this set myself recently, but any set with small metric drill bits will work.  I really like that kiha 58 SSL, I may have to get one of those for myself!

18 minutes ago, dgreen787 said:

The layout is currently the simple loop with a passing siding, but yesterday I added the small detailed bits to the KiHa58, with the exception of the radio antennas? that sit above the driver's compartment on each car. And yes, the 787 still needs its extra details.

Also, not sure if the question belongs in another section, but does Tomix or any of the other suppliers make a hand drill to make the holes that the piece fits in to? A guide for the holes came with the train, and it specified a .5mm drill bit. I haven't seen anything along those lines on Hobbysearch or the other Japanese online shops, and Amazon is giving me bits for power drills.

The sea side liner is really looking nice there :)

It seems Tamiya for example has 0.5 drill bits (http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10237542) and something called a Pin Vise/Pin Vice (http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10237538) that seems to function as a handpiece to put the drill in? Not 100% sure how this works as I don't have these myself but I think this might be what you're searching for. You probably might be able to get similar stuff from your local Amazon or Tool/Hobby shop.

Edit, Kiha was a tick faster than me there :D

Edited by Gryphr
41 minutes ago, Kiha66 said:

Looking good dustin!  What you are looking for is a "pin vise", which is a tiny hand held drill bit holder.  I got this set myself recently, but any set with small metric drill bits will work.  I really like that kiha 58 SSL, I may have to get one of those for myself!

38 minutes ago, Gryphr said:

The sea side liner is really looking nice there :)

It seems Tamiya for example has 0.5 drill bits (http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10237542) and something called a Pin Vise/Pin Vice (http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10237538) that seems to function as a handpiece to put the drill in? Not 100% sure how this works as I don't have these myself but I think this might be what you're searching for. You probably might be able to get similar stuff from your local Amazon or Tool/Hobby shop.

Edit, Kiha was a tick faster than me there :D

Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for.

13 hours ago, serotta1972 said:

That looks great nah00 and I thought all you did on your spare time was apply car numbers and destinations boards on Shinkansens. :)

Sometimes when my eyes go crossed from doing that for too long I try to do something that doesn't require so much squinting. Although if I lived in Japan and it was easier to get the Geomatrix destination signs that would be a different case. 

• Haha 1

Working on a 17 x 23 bulletin board tram layout first on a small shrine then a shotengai.  Figures and vehicles will come later.

IMG_5530 1024 x 768.jpg

IMG_5534  1024 x 768.jpg

• Like 5

Not so much on the layout, but I managed to create a Adaptor car for the railway, by switching some trucks around on this hopper wagon using some of the cheap rolling stock I picked up a few days, ago now the fact that my US loco and some rolling Stock have buckeye couplings and most of my other rolling stock has Rapido couplings doesn't mater as I can just throw in the adaptor car xD.

WP_20170904_14_04_18_Pro.jpg

WP_20170904_14_05_04_Pro.jpg

Edited by Wonderbolt
readding images
  • Like 2

I've been applying transfers to my Tomix kiha 181 and 182 units. Coach nrs, and destination boards. Tomix doesn't seem to include them. Luckily I have a few from Kato which I can use. Even if the destination doesn't match the train, which nobody can read without a strong magnifier, they look better than with the bare see through destination indicators.

IMG_20170904_183906.jpg

• Like 5

The thin foam boards I've used -not surprisingly, have started to bend a bit a day after I glued them down. Probably used too much glue that started to react with the material. Not really terrible, as the layout could be improved. Today I got an epiphany where adding two hidden sidings would add a lot to operations and add two extra consists to run (previously limited to three consists).

IMG_20170906_041250.thumb.jpg.b581d731c876903092626abede64e605.jpg

The curved sidings on the foreground also add a little bit of extra dynamism, as well as the curved track in the background.

Now secretively thinking of adding another hidden siding in the other running direction for even more operation possibilities... I mean, it's possible when shortening the layout by an S70 length and adding it to the right side... Hmmmm... Well, that's not going to work. It'll make the layout impractical and look chaotic. xD

Edited by Kabutoni
change of mind
  • Like 4

Unfortunately my truck got totaled a month ago, so in the interest of portability I have put my planed layout on hold.  Inspired by kato's track plans I'm making a temporary layout on two folding tables.  I just got two pieces of foam so I can have a space 2 meters by 1 meter, with the hope of eventually making kato plan #29 or 30 in the space.  

20170901_143044.thumb.jpg.ef238bbb5f9c2f4a792c4cbe1b24c856.jpg

20170902_182126.thumb.jpg.8ae04b5a7e039da8ee1627840f65bae0.jpg

Edited by Kiha66
  • Like 4

Oh man, sorry to hear about your truck Sam.  Are you without a car right now?  I was thinking of going to Crocket this weekend?  

Your setup looks good - a couple of green table clothes and you're good to go. :)

Thanks Junior!  Luckily my sister is studying abroad for semester, so I'm borrowing her car for the time being.  I was also thinking of visiting Crockett, I'll make a post on the bay area modelers thread.  The green cloth is next on my list, I'm going to try to get one this weekend.  Today I tested out the buildings I have already and stuck on some catenary poles.  Also a picture of my new Kiha 81 at the station, I've wanted this train for a few years now. 

20170925_115247.thumb.jpg.2a31fde1c8bfcd30428f5c2eebb39f43.jpg

81.thumb.jpg.c3b44ec97e37efb94e080919912bca61.jpg

• Like 3

This week I finished my art commissions early, so I took also me some time off to replace those ugly Arnold couplers with TN couplers. I maybe should go for body mount couplers on passenger coaches...

IMG_20170929_145153.jpg

• Like 5

Bleh. Fixing stupid 2nd hand ultra cheap locomotives... The fleet is becoming substantial.

IMG_20170930_165646.thumb.jpg.93975ccac8f278f361b0e9b7e8d4b519.jpg

I really need rolling stock to match.. luckily these engines ran in double traction often.

IMG_20171001_005110.thumb.jpg.2cda18c0569dfb70eb7d08ee2004b1b8.jpg

• Like 7

I noticed the beer wasn't there on the first pic but were after the work was done pic.  Was it a reward for work well done or used to calm the nerves during? :)

Edited by serotta1972

Tony-

For double heading do you just take the motor out of the second locomotive? I have a couple ED75s that I found that was the best way to get them to double head. 

I've finished the design for the storage/transport boxes for the new jrm club layout. They are a bit beefier than our old caskets from the last layout and each crate will hold 3-8 modules. The crates are full 6 sided boxes and the one end will come off with latch clips and the modules slide in from the end. Modules will be supported with 3/4" aluminum L stock runners that will bolt on the inside sides of the boxes Thru holes in the side of the crate with a column of holes every 1/2" so we can adjust the heights to get the max efficiency of space with varying scenery heights. 

The sides and ends will be 3/16" luan that is framed on the outside in strips of 3/4" x 1/2" Finnish birch ply. This will give an nice frame to grip to pull and lift with a 1/2" finger purchase. Top and bottom are 3/16" luan screwed down into the frame work of the sides. One end is screwed on and the other is held in by 4 latch clamps (like those on toolchests). Two thin skids also along the bottom to help them slide in and out of vehicles. Metal corners covers on all corners so no splintering from banging into things there. Flip out metal handles on each end for easy carrying from the ends and good grip.

The basic layout takes 4 crates, the yard 1 crate and each expansion section takes 1 crate (we have 2), so 7 cases total. The basic layout modules fit in the Prius v and should fit in the medium to larger SUVs as well. These should be very sturdy and be able to be stacked for storage as well as pretty well sealed once closed to keep out dust and dirt.

We need to make the boxes before we go any further with adding viaduct structure base.

I've tried to strip the construction down to the minimums for cost and weight. Unfortunately hardware like handles are not cheap, but I think will make these a lot easier to handle and less potential to drop cases while carrying around. The aluminum L stock also is not cheap, but trying to do wood slides gets a lot more work and takes up room for potential scenery in the top corners of modules. The L stock is very simple and fast to construct and gives the max internal space. I think the overall design is down to the quickest and sturdiest design to give the best space efficiency.

few more little tests and hope to get construction going later this week (we have to vote on the funds).

cheers

jeff

Edited by cteno4

Nice "pastoral"! wheres your pastor? sorry i coulnt resist being punny...

jeff

Edited by cteno4
  • Like 1

The TN Coupler Replacement Project continues and worked on my new Series 733 Hakodate Liner.  It's almost as if Tomix is purposely making the gap really big with Rapido couplers as compared to using their TN couplers.

IMG_3230.thumb.jpeg.1dd01f5edc7ea035613ed9883f502689.jpegIMG_3232.thumb.jpeg.c7ac4974a110b9d23479ac1272dca024.jpegIMG_3236.thumb.jpeg.3f7a84fe31e53f64042b32c78d008f72.jpeg

• Like 3
17 minutes ago, serotta1972 said:

The TN Coupler Replacement Project continues and worked on my new Series 733 Hakodate Liner.  It's almost as if Tomix is purposely making the gap really big with Rapido couplers as compared to using their TN couplers.

It's a plot by Tomix to make us buy the TN couplers... Till now the TN couplers are getting out of stock fast...

It sorts of also deters me a little to get Tomix model, if Kato is also offering the same model... Kato's default couplers are so much closer than those ugly Rapido ones...  While the TNs are the best, it gets expensive really fast when it is a long train...

Junior, that Hakodate Liner comes with pre-installed TN couplers for the front cars, right? Usually these Tomix models come with front cars TN pre-installed...

Edited by JR 500系

Yes, the end cars do have TN couplers as most of them do - this set only needed 8 TN couplers which still requires you to buy 2 sets.