What did you do on your layout today? (N scale)

bill937ca

A place to quickly post  what we accomplished on our layout each day.  Some days we would get more then others.  We could look at this thread as encouragement to do more each day.  No a layout is never done but by just putting in 10 minutes or 3 hours each day, we can all be a big step closer to being finished.

So what did you do today on your layout?

Last night I created a smaller portable tram layout. The base is a 24 x 18 inch cork bulletin board. This is more convenient and easier to work with.Since i took the photo I have started cutting the 3/16 balsa I use as a building base.  A photo of the new base and a photo of Tomytec buildings and a Tomytec Hankai Tramway 161.

post-75-0-82926700-1479818350_thumb.jpgpost-75-0-51269800-1479818457_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Yesterday added electric poles and catenary poles to my micro-layout (mental note: next time put the catenary BEFORE scenery :BangHead: )

Martin

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I glued a small stretch of pavement down yesterday, if it helps. Psyching myself up to adding some fencing to it. Devoting most of my time to developing an off-switch for toddlers.

• Like 1

Good thread with a well appreciated motive! I guess we all need some motivation sometimes!

Unfortunately, I cant work on my layout anymore since it has been totally removed....  

• Like 1

Nice topic.

Today checking information about the IR sensor (QRD1114) and some videos of people using/testing it in their layouts (working signals).

No having a permanent layout at the moment, just still testing stuff with temporary ones.

Nxcale, with that sensor you'll have to add modulation and demodulation yourself and drive each one on a different frequency, just to avoid interference. Not to mention the transistor doesn't have agc and background level filtering, so you have to add that yourself. Imho this chip is better suited to a covered, dark environment. (the biggest problems of IR is sunlight, flashes and halogen lamps, usually avoided by using integrated filter/demodulator receivers)

Nxcale, with that sensor you'll have to add modulation and demodulation yourself and drive each one on a different frequency, just to avoid interference. Not to mention the transistor doesn't have agc and background level filtering, so you have to add that yourself. Imho this chip is better suited to a covered, dark environment. (the biggest problems of IR is sunlight, flashes and halogen lamps, usually avoided by using integrated filter/demodulator receivers)

Thanks for the information kvp.

I already ordered few so it will be a matter to wait (until the parcel arrives), test and see.

Cheers,

p.s. I also ordered some LDRs (I thought I had some but not).

Edited by nxcale
Martijn Meerts

For the foreseeable future everything I do on the layout will be wiring, testing, programming, testing, programming again, and possibly fix wiring :D

Edited by Martijn Meerts

Today I removed some unijoiners and installed feed wires. I also connected half of the automatic crossing sensors. Removed some of the pointwork to drill the holes through the board for the power cables.

Completed track on my larger layout.  Did a touch up on my small shrine scene.  Started work on restoring my Micro Ace Green Frog. Planning a trip to the local hobby shop after dinner tomorrow night for balsa and X-Acto blades.

Edited by bill937ca
  • Like 1

Demolished the unstable base I made and created a new one. Much more pleased with the result this time. Perhaps I'll get a bit more creative with this one and, instead of the straight corners, make more smooth transitions partially. Let's see...

Last night I cut the last of the balsa inserts for the tram layout and the larger train layout. After a busy few days on to other stuff.

Photos before and after painting the last piece.

post-75-0-89876200-1480257898_thumb.jpgpost-75-0-72619600-1480257923_thumb.jpg

Edited by bill937ca
  • Like 3

Nothing of substance, yet again - life (work, toddler and illness) is getting in the way. I did manage to re-plan a tricky set of pointwork, just need to find the time to implement it...

Today, dispite being called out, I got the last 4 crossing sensors wired up. Then tested the crossing with my fingers :D  Also threaded the in the wiring for 2 points, 1 crossover and 2 track feeds. So the underside of the baseboard is starting to look a little messy :D Now studied the rest of the track to work out where to put other feeds and isolation sections.

• Like 1

Today, dispite being called out, I got the last 4 crossing sensors wired up. Then tested the crossing with my fingers :D

Hi Drunkenclam.

What sensors are you using? could you share some info about it and pictures if possible?

Cheers,

Davo Dentetsu

Frustratingly not much at all.  Need a replacement transformer for my Kato controller as the casing around it broke.  Can't even run at home because of it.

Spot on. Its the IR sensors for the Kato road automatic crossing. I did have to resolder one of the power supply wires onto tbe main circuit board as it seems to have come detached

-rural traction layout: city side station platform planning (=no idea what to do)

-ttrak: new station idea, Chuo dori (level/underground/elevated double track side platform stop based on the JNR Chuo and Keio Inokashira lines) It will be really tight with a 210mm depth...

Martijn Meerts

Did a test setup of the helix and yard sections, levelling them out, adjusting track where needed. After that I need to figure out the dimensions of the first main station section, since I'll need to get the base for that built before I can fully finish the helix. Getting really close now though, only took several years :D

• Like 1

Assembled and stickered a B Train Shorty Toden Arakawa 7511 after dinner. Dug out a couple of old Kato Pocket Line items from a few years ago and photographed them.

post-75-0-09306700-1480376480_thumb.jpgpost-75-0-46760500-1480376499_thumb.jpgpost-75-0-83524300-1480376521_thumb.jpgpost-75-0-67729700-1480376542_thumb.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Finally got around to installing the handrails, number plates and whistle on my kato 9600 SL.  Also switched out the rapido for a knuckle coupler.

post-3846-0-01328200-1480492047_thumb.jpgpost-3846-0-57150500-1480492049_thumb.jpg

• Like 8