What did you do on your layout today? (N scale)

bill937ca

Tony Galiani

Not sure if this belongs here but thinking the moderators can move it if necessary.

Taking Jeff's advice, I have been working on some scenes to get practice and improve my skills.  I have some T-Trak modules that I want to complete but have been nervous about messing them up so this is a test run for some scenery.  It didn't quite work out but thought I would post anyway.

I thought I would do a test diorama with a Hokkaido scene - one of the small, wooden platform stations.  But as I was doing this, it become clear that I had not ordered the best size of flock and ground cover.  This is way too coarse but rather than totally start over, I shifted gears a bit.  Rather than waste one of the wooden platform kits I have, I changed the scene to model one of the stations that had been removed.  I had seen a video where some railfans had traveled to different stations on the Soya Main Line and took pictures of the derelict sites and the trains passing by them.

I temporarily placed a couple of my otaku photographers and their vehicle by the area where the platform had been removed and took a couple of pictures.  Now back to the drawing board so to speak - I need to reorganize my ground cover supplies and probably order a few more packs of the finer flock.  Also need to review my method for gluing the scenic cover down.  I used spray adhesive but it dried glossy on the areas that I ended up not covering.  I then used cheap hair spray on the added layers of flock - seemed to need quite a bit - and "unscented" really isn't unscented (though the smell went away after it dried.

Anyway, posting some pictures.

Ciao,

Tony

IMG_1238a.jpg

IMG_1239a.jpg

IMG_1240a.jpg

• Like 8

I've been using the web and Google Earth to find interesting Japanese modern city buildings that I think I might be able to make into a 3D print.

Any suggestions, with pictures, more than welcome.    🙂

Edited by b.nice2000

Yesterday night, I was able to set the streetmarks an my T-Trak module...

DSC_0011.thumb.jpg.79ec59950795d6fc43fb5e35497017b0.jpg

DSC_0012.thumb.jpg.1a8b0008d56d8c0368ed4f4f1b0aaec5.jpg

DSC_0013.thumb.jpg.1b412bd89ca22399f4394515eaade911.jpg

Edited by lighthouse
  • Like 3
b.nice2000

Made an absolute mess cutting down some styrofoam at the far end of the Mt FooGee layout.

I found 4 more temples I must have bought ages ago, so have to find somewhere to put them.  🙂

DSC01672.JPG

4 temples.JPG

For the first rough cuts and shaping a scalloped steak or bread knife works well with little eps dust created. Keeping humidity higher also tends to keep the static cling down some on the dust. But it does get everywhere!

jeff

b.nice2000

Shop Vacs are a blessing ! 🙂

Couple of sections still to do...  wait for a cooler day when I don't need the big fans on !  😉

more to do..JPG

Edited by b.nice2000
  • Like 2