What did you do on your layout today? (N scale)

bill937ca

The daughter and I set up a temporary oval on the kitchen table.  Due to time constraints we only set a few buildings up.  She drove the Panda Kuroshio and I drove the Resort Shirikami.

7D917DED-2353-45CF-9AC6-EE6E75BE67B5.jpeg

Edited by chadbag
auto correct stupidity
  • Like 6
1 minute ago, serotta1972 said:

Who won the race? 🙂

I gave her a max throttle position on her KATO Power Pack S.   She was obedient.   I could throttle my Athearn power pack to whatever I needed 🙂  

I did not want any derailments and trains falling off the table as the track was close to the edge of the table.   I gave her the inside track as well.

• Like 1

To have a better overview of the back of the layout, I installed an old video camera and 9" Monitor under a table for better surveilance.

Nothing is recorded. But If I want to, I should have enough Tapes for a few sessions. 😅

IMG_20181113_140658.thumb.jpg.d50334627a807fcc7c6bf835a233bfcc.jpgIMG_20181113_141923.thumb.jpg.8db70c5a190983cd9141b925c173cbbd.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
8 hours ago, Waisneed said:

To have a better overview of the back of the layout, I installed an old video camera and 9" Monitor under a table for better surveilance.

Nothing is recorded. But If I want to, I should have enough Tapes for a few sessions. 😅

IMG_20181113_141923.thumb.jpg.8db70c5a190983cd9141b925c173cbbd.jpg

I love the 80s style double cassette deck!! That takes me back. 🙂

On 11/18/2018 at 7:58 AM, gavino200 said:

Finally got my Tomix camera car running under it's own steam. My first Tomix loco conversion. 

SeM284f.jpg

Does it fly?

Well. I took a few days off work. But no time to crack on as wife flew to Milan and left me with the baby. 

Did manage to cut down the first platform roof that goes under the viaduct station.

So now it can slide nicely under the viaduct.

Next install the lift and other assessories at next nap time. (Fingers crossed)

15426205509981774719857551841763.thumb.jpg.82a9709e2c7e62c675b189146d033314.jpg

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

I feel your pain here mate,I remember it all so well!

do nt knock it clam,the day will come when you d give anything to have these days back,believe me😂😂👍nothing more depressing than being a redundant parent ha ha.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Got the viaduct set out again, trying to kill or cure a grumpy motor in the EF81. The Tomix ones are sealed so I can't clean the brushes out properly, may have to work out which motor it uses and order a couple as my Hokutosei version suffers the same way.

• Like 7

In the early stages of steam train layout. Awaiting the end of Canada Post labour disruptions with my track order and Kato C56. Meanwhile  I am running a Kato Pocket Line steam train. Also waiting for a Kato C12 and a Dapol Pannier tank. Two thru train lines plus a goods shed, and  a tram loop. Buildings will be Metcalfe.

IMG_6672 crop  1024 x 768.jpg

IMG_6661crop 1024 x 768.jpg

IMG_6667 crop 1024 x 768.jpg

IMG_6663 crop 1024 x 768.jpg

Edited by bill937ca
  • Like 7
On 11/18/2018 at 12:58 AM, gavino200 said:

Finally got my Tomix camera car running under it's own steam. My first Tomix loco conversion. 

Care to post a guide ?? 😄

5 minutes ago, sid21177 said:

Care to post a guide ?? 😄

I didn't take any pictures but I can describe what I can remember.

Open shell

Remove grey plastic cover 

Remove light board

Remove motor

Four wires to solder - two for pick up, two for the motor.

Pick up first

There are two springs to take current from the wheel trucks to the light board. There are two small metal dots on the other side of the light board that connect with the spring contacts on the other side. Solder a red an black wire, one to each of the metal dots on the topside of the light board.

Motor now

Remove motor. Remove the motor pick up springs.  Carefully solder a grey and orange wire to the motor pick up tabs. Replace motor. Use a tiny drill bit to make holes in the light board to pass these two wires through.

Dont forget to replace the drive shafts into the motor now.

Replace lightboard.

Using a tiny drill, make four tiny holes in the grey plastic cover and pass all four wires directly up from below. 

Replace grey plastic cover.

You will now have a motor chassis with four wires (red, black, orange, grey) exiting the topside.

Choose any decoder. I think I used a Digitrax. 

Fix the decoder to the chassis (tape or blue tac)

Cut the unnecessary wires (white, yellow, brown?, blue) at slightly different lengths ( so they won't short)

Cut the four remaining wires and corresponding wires from the chassis at a suitable length.

Connect corresponding wires by soldering. Make sure there's no shorting. You can used liquid wire to insulate the soldered section. Instead I cut the wire lenghts to ensure the joints would be in different locations. 

Tape the wires down to the chassis floor.

Optional: paint the wires and decoder the same grey as the chassis. Otherwise they'll be quite obvious through the window.

Replace shell

Enjoy.

• Like 1

With the arrival of my HS order I have all the remaining pieces of track.  Layout has 2 thru lines and a tram loop.  There are sidings for a goods shed.

IMG_6688 small 1024 x768.jpg

IMG_6690  1024 x 768.jpg

• Like 9

My C56 on mixed train duty. Track is finished, although I am planning some changes before it becomes permanent.  Still waiting for a Kato C12 and a Daphol GTW 5700 Pannier.

IMG_6692 small.jpg

• Like 10
Das Steinkopf

More work on parts for Kamisakaemachi Up Platform, these started off as a set of bench seats that came with the Tomix 4060 Mini Platform Set. I first removed the sign above them and then cut them in two with the Razor Saw, after that I removed the pins underneath that they attach too the platform and cracked out the brass wire and strip for the legs.

D96BAB17-4A31-44A7-B561-BF4322B43FFF.jpeg

• Like 13
On ‎11‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 1:08 PM, gavino200 said:

One more little Tomytec building ready to join the Layout 🙂

I'm loving those billboard LEDs!

• Thanks 1

A little blue light to give the Tomytec Bar some ambiance. I was going to use a red or pink light but it looked suspiciously like a brothel 😧

CmoelY3.jpg

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

Some nocturnal work on the Showa Layout adding a yard walkway and the car wash platform by a  Tomytec  Building Collection 021-3 Train Shed.

IMG_6695 1024 x768.jpg

IMG_6696 1024 x 768.jpg

IMG_6697 1024 x768.jpg

• Like 9

Pachinko Parlor ready to add. The middle floor has a mixture of pink and blue lights. The top floor interior is very basic. Just a couple of chairs, sofas, and people sitting around. 

4G37kpN.jpg

• Like 10

Maybe just spread old cigarrette ash around the ground floor for that classic "Eau du pachinko parlour" olfactory experience 😉

• Haha 3

The semester is almost over and I am anyway done with marking so I finally came back to the layout. I almost finished one thing and started to finish another. Let's see:

A general view first, for reference:

large.IMG_2059.JPG.0ba85110637472d390d512443da69817.JPG

I glued down the supports for the factory yard. I also glued down the gate for the pedestrian access.

large.DSC_1016.jpg.4168db32fd1035351021a38b8fa56b0e.jpglarge.DSC_1023.jpg.ed20cc1fada03169151e4f54b0399938.jpg

The gate requires a tiny bit of adjustment.

And I also glued down the beam support for the pipes going over the tracks. The idea is to frame the cutout of the scenic separator.

large.DSC_1018.jpg.516cc6c45c117bb192702ca4898b0d02.jpg

• Like 9

Ever had one of those days that you spend so much time on the research. That you never actually seem to get anything done? 

Well. Not that bad. But I did drill the holes in the platform for leds. Then spent time researching for the best adhesive to use. Then dragged out by Mrs Clam. It seems 2 part epoxy resin is the winner. I'll try it later. After son's swimming lesson, Food shopping, dinner, etc 

• Haha 2