What did you do on your layout today? (N scale)

bill937ca

To a bodywork mechanic  it’s a go faster stripe,to us modellers its road markings! Works out 20metres for £5.

i can t do the back yet as I need to fit a pavement along there.

FEAC4F28-D96D-405A-939F-E7089C263D82.thumb.jpeg.21c037d0867f938900f13e77a80d02c4.jpeg

• Like 5

One thing if you're after more stock for Thomas and Percy to haul, how oversized do they look with standard N wagons? I ask as the "Thomas and Friends Minis" blind bag toys can be converted to N remarkably easily and don't look over wide or tall compared to British N stock. I've fitted three Troublesome Trucks to Peco 9' wheelbase chassis kits and Annie/Clarabel to 10' brake van chassis. Cost works out around a fiver per vehicle for materials. There's a website listing the bag codes for the toys so you can easily find the ones you want.

• Like 1

Nice job Paul! Really fun little diorama layout for the grandkids. Grandpop is a super popular guy I bet! Hey it’s your job to spoil them rotten! 

Jeff

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Pauljag900 said:

To a bodywork mechanic  it’s a go faster stripe,to us modellers its road markings! Works out 20metres for £5.

i can t do the back yet as I need to fit a pavement along there.

Nice layout Paul. I think the garbage truck really brings it all together and makes it come alive! 

• Haha 1

I know, I know. Things move slowly in the Clam house. But added the escalators, some leds (but not tested yet) some window advertisements and billboards.

20181016_155123.thumb.jpg.4715b17e9dccd23c17e095188b938eaa.jpg

20181016_155147.thumb.jpg.e136ad024260a329415bb783547cae4d.jpg

• Like 10

Nice clam! I like the insert ads in the Tomix building big window, going to have to steal that! Escalators add nicecly to the lobby.

hey maybe you know this from your work, are there any resons for when escalators do the X or run side by side? I’m always curious when I notice some places one way and others the opposite. I always assumes it was for potential routing of people. I would guess in a lobby like this with just going up it would keep up and down traffic separated more in the lobby and less of a jam at the base of each. But the x ends up taking more floor space. But I’ve seen multi story ones do it each way in like department stores.

cheers

jeff

It took a while to find so sports ads I could use and not have to rely on Tokyo 2020 promo ads.

Not sure. I assume it's space saving to have them stacked next to each other and above each other. Also it help with fire breaks between floors and positioning of fire shutters. One store in Guildford they decided that when you step off the escaltor on to one floor and want to continue up to the next. You can't just do a 180 deg turn to go up as thats the down escaltor from the next floor. So you have to walk through the department to go up again. It's also the same in reverse. So forcing shoppers who want to go from ground floor to floor 3 to walk through each floor. Both on the way up and the way down. 

Oh I did mine in the X formation as they help hold each other up when glued together. :D

silly thing is. I glued it in place with people on them. Then read the stickers already on the entrance/exit doors and put them the wrong way round. Never let me design a store

• Haha 1
33 minutes ago, Drunkenclam said:

One store in Guildford they decided that when you step off the escaltor on to one floor and want to continue up to the next. You can't just do a 180 deg turn to go up as thats the down escaltor from the next floor. So you have to walk through the department to go up again. It's also the same in reverse. So forcing shoppers who want to go from ground floor to floor 3 to walk through each floor. Both on the way up and the way down. 

That is pretty standard.  I've seen it everywhere (including lots of places in Japan). I know (IIRC 🙂 ) Yodobashi Umeda does that.  Makes you walk around.

Thanks clam, I thought there might be some other reasons. I’ve seen the x as well in multistory department stores here do both the fast up/down and make you walk all the way around so as to walk thru each floor. 

It seems parallel escalators tend to run with the running of roads around the world.

Ive found myself at times putting kanji upside down not looking carefully. It’s a good test to see if your viewers can find these! 

Cheers,

Jeff

Added a bit of detailing to the Thomas layout and ballasted the tracks.

i ve got four more buildings to make for the back wall then I can start adding the lights and do the wiring.

507D4087-7AF0-42EB-8DFA-47EDCF75B194.thumb.jpeg.12ac3801d6bba3a9fd541719df5180e2.jpeg

• Like 5

About this bus turnout, I had a bit more of footage so here below is an edited video.

I also have some "lessons learned" after completing this:

• Too much priming/painting can deform plastic
  • Choose carefully your filling putty cos it also can deform plastic (due to shrinkage)
  • Review and reinforce points under mechanical stress of your design
  • Reinforce your design but try to dont overdoing it (it could block screw holes and guiding wire holes, also it increments the printing time and material)
  • A really basic one, carefully check and adjust the screws and bolts of your printer before printing. Doing that,  it can really increase the printing quality.

As you can read above, I am still quite novice about printing and painting but keep trying. Cheers.

• Like 9
6 hours ago, NX: said:

About this bus turnout, I had a bit more of footage so here below is an edited video.

That is just super! Thanks for making that lovely instructional video! Now I see how 3D printing is! Nice job! 

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Pauljag900 said:

Superb work buddy,well done you👍👍😀

8 hours ago, JR 500系 said:

That is just super! Thanks for making that lovely instructional video! Now I see how 3D printing is! Nice job! 

Thank you! I am glad people find it interesting.

Today I set up the wiring loom and switches for the thomas layout 

5EF9B9E4-EC8A-4053-8AB9-98F878D3AA76.thumb.jpeg.633698743686c69e1025e6695fa12e4b.jpeg

Also my friend turned up with the glass for the cabinet.

18A082F3-A1A2-438C-AB37-FA01AECB26F3.thumb.jpeg.b9daa09109166016c819487bc2273ed0.jpeg

• Like 5
5 minutes ago, Pauljag900 said:

Today I set up the wiring loom and switches for the thomas layout 

It looks great. What's the idea with the glass cabinet? Toddlers?

Not so much toddlers but a five year old who can t keep his hands off anything moving!! Ha ha

also it s going to be in the house So there s two reasons really,to keep it clean and to protect it from the grandkids when I m not here to watch them.

i want them to enjoy it,it would be unfair for me to not let them use it but as you know this stuff s expensive so it needs looking after..

i have four grandkids Gavin,an 9 year old boy,2 x 7 year old girls and a five year old boy,the girls are worse than the lads!,ha ha

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Hey forum! Long time no talk!

I updated my forum post on the Layout building forum, but for the quick version here, I've been away for a bit because I bought a house! Now I have a whole big basement to live out my model railroading dreams, you can go there if you want the longer version 🙂

So, what did I do on my layout today? Well, I unpacked boxes to finish moving in so I can start getting to the important stuff - Model railroading!! 

Glad to be back and catch up on all the posts. Everyone's stuff looks amazing as always. 

• Like 4
On ‎10‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 7:44 AM, Drunkenclam said:

its not till I saw the second video I understood what you were trying to do.

Its all clear now. Well Done.

Thanks! Next time I will add more info from the beginning. Cheers.

20 hours ago, Pauljag900 said:

Laminated, plate or APG glass. 

APG toughened glass safest around children. Just it the heaviest and most expensive 

• Like 1