What did you do on your layout today? (N scale)

bill937ca

I was having too many problems with Trains catching inside the mountain so I ve removed it for now and will try again using a diferent method next year.So I removed the buildings and will use then in this area and it will look something like this.

7A07324A-2A85-46DE-96CF-B7AB667BB362.thumb.jpeg.1b19990bf18f438fa0046b8d1d594249.jpeg

• Like 6
6 hours ago, Pauljag900 said:

Is that car broke down or just parked somewhere it should nt be?😂😂

There's an ongoing game of 'Cops'n'robbers' going on. I don't remember exactly what's happening here, but the freight depot is generally where the bad guys hang out. 

• Haha 2
8 hours ago, serotta1972 said:

Can't wait to see  the complete setup. Great use of those little Ikea tables - how many did you get?

I got twenty for now. But I have space to store 30 of those.

Finishes laying track and wiring up. Had some trains run on my new trunk lines ^^;;

IMG_20180815_152800.jpg

Edited by Waisneed
  • Like 7
51 minutes ago, Waisneed said:

Finishes laying track and wiring up. Had some trains run on my new trunk lines ^^;;

Wow, two full E5s!!!! That’s hardcore!

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, gavino200 said:

Wow, two full E5s!!!! That’s hardcore!

If you look carefully, you can see that it's an H5 in the foreground and an E5 in the background (look at the logo's)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
2 hours ago, Yavianice said:

If you look carefully, you can see that it's an H5 in the foreground and an E5 in the background (look at the logo's)

Ah, yes. That's still hard core in my book!

Edited by gavino200
  • Like 1
17 hours ago, Waisneed said:

IMG_20180815_152800.jpg

Are those the "LACK" tables?
And are there any problems with height differences between the tables  or are those small enough that it doesn't matter?

I just looked them up and with that good a price this seems to be just the kind of solution I've been looking for to get my layout off the ground.

• Like 1

Small village for the front of the layout,viewed as it will be once in place,B4792EF9-12E3-4012-9651-A8376C705745.thumb.jpeg.484110113e6c3834e4b98539e0b6c403.jpeg

just needs some figures and rd markings both of which I m waiting for.

• Like 10
42 minutes ago, Gryphr said:

Are those the "LACK" tables?
And are there any problems with height differences between the tables  or are those small enough that it doesn't matter?

I just looked them up and with that good a price this seems to be just the kind of solution I've been looking for to get my layout off the ground.

These are indeed "LACK" tables.

The gaps are neglible. Don't have any problems with my E5 Series, which has very low tolerances for such things.

IMG_20180816_111543.jpg

• Thanks 1
JR 500ç³»
1 hour ago, Pauljag900 said:

Small village for the front of the layout,viewed as it will be once in place,B4792EF9-12E3-4012-9651-A8376C705745.thumb.jpeg.484110113e6c3834e4b98539e0b6c403.jpeg

just needs some figures and rd markings both of which I m waiting for.

Lovely! Very nicely done mate! And I see more of those Tomytec buses which are great!  🙂

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, JR 500ç³» said:

Lovely! Very nicely done mate! And I see more of those Tomytec buses which are great!  🙂

Hi Sammy,

thanks mate,ha ha,yeah,I put the cheap one at the back where it s half inside the tunnel entrance!😂😂😂

10 hours ago, Waisneed said:

These are indeed "LACK" tables.

The gaps are neglible. Don't have any problems with my E5 Series, which has very low tolerances for such things

Nice! At $9 a table those are a steal to make temp setups like this! They look nice and are nice and flat, unlike many folding tables and the like that can be plastic and wavy and not meet up well. Stores flat as well. Do they put any threaded inset for the leg screws or are those just into the particle board?

jeff

1 hour ago, cteno4 said:

Nice! At $9 a table those are a steal to make temp setups like this! They look nice and are nice and flat, unlike many folding tables and the like that can be plastic and wavy and not meet up well. Stores flat as well. Do they put any threaded inset for the leg screws or are those just into the particle board?

I have a few myself, they are very nice but the legs screw directly into the particle board, so often when you try to remove the legs you are left with exposed screws in the bottom of the table.  Great for the price though!

On 8/15/2018 at 2:56 AM, Waisneed said:

Next Console City is underway.

This time, I try something different.

IMG_20180814_173856.jpg

Oh, I see a metabolism style building made of Cuboro.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Kiha66 said:

I have a few myself, they are very nice but the legs screw directly into the particle board, so often when you try to remove the legs you are left with exposed screws in the bottom of the table.  Great for the price though!

Mmm I wonder if a couple of threaded inserts, epoxy and some threaded stock connectors would work. Would add a few bucks to it, but they are not too expensive. Nice for temp stuff and easy stow away.

Could try to epoxy the double end screw into the leg hole, but have to epoxy it I guess deeper in and let it set while screwed in at the right place, but then that will be a different thread start on each hole then. Particle board doesn’t like multiple on/off of screws like this unfortunately.

I guess you could just stack them like 5 high to save room or even interlocked sideways you could fit a stack of 8 (2x4). They do look sharp and simple.

jeff

• Haha 1
On 8/14/2018 at 11:56 AM, Waisneed said:

Next Console City is underway.

This time, I try something different.

IMG_20180814_173856.jpg

Even though this is a temporary layout, I really like how it looks. The one thing I've never liked about my layout is the bare wooden legs. The masonite 'fascia' isn't great but isn't terrible. I see a lot of pleated cloth skirting at shows, but I don't like how it looks.

Next time I build a layout I'd like to have this kind of finish for the legs and fascia. 

42 minutes ago, Waisneed said:

It's possible to stack 15 + 2 interlocked under a standard ceiling.

IMG_20180814_153852.thumb.jpg.038f519b3721177ad8b413d6db4ce0bd.jpg

WOW!!

And my ceilings are higher than standard... Pity 55cm does not seem to fit easily with Unitrack or Fintrack for module length.

Edited by Khaul
  • Like 1

Look at wood veneer. It’s easy to apply and you can finish it nicely. Nicely finished wood really gives the subconscious a good feeling and just slides into the background nicely. Also makes us monkeys want to just touch it w.o thinking which is a nice connection to what you are interfacing with. We go thru this all the time in exhibits. The laminates just don’t say smoothly interface with me. There is a reason why the Apple stores have this nice simple wooden tables, you just want to approach them and put your hand onto and lean into the products (same idea in their product design, it’s doento makemyou just want to touch it, that’s magic). 

Its funny the Apple store in the mall nearby has a Microsoft store just 100’ down from it. The ms store is all hard ms blue Formica high thin tables to put the products up closer to eye level I guess, but if you watch folks closely in the two stores folks tend to stop a foot back from the ms tables and stay there, interacting at arms lenght mostly, even with all the sexy new surface machines. It’s totally sub conscious. The lower but very sturdy and natural wood table in the Apple store practically invite you to climb on them. Folks are draped all over them and come right up to them touching them with bellies from the get go and because a bit lower folks can hunch over the product and practically hug them. I do this all the time to evaluate the public interface to exhibit bits, only way to do this is to just observe carefully for a while. I mention all this as these are design bits that can relate to layouts in the subconscious elements like just the fasha and legs give you.

jeff

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
49 minutes ago, Waisneed said:

It's possible to stack 15 + 2 interlocked under a standard ceiling.

IMG_20180814_153852.thumb.jpg.038f519b3721177ad8b413d6db4ce0bd.jpg

Way cool I was wondering how well they would stack like This! 

Jeff