What did you do on your layout today? (N scale)

bill937ca

Pauljag900

image.thumb.jpg.49fcf52862f3afbffb1661075ada60fe.jpg

Hi Gavin,

pretty much the same method really,if you look on the window just to the left there s a diagram with the corresponding stickers that are on the points.

I needed to devise a system that was fairly easy to remember without looking at the diagram every time.So basically the blue stickers indicate the storage/display yard which has two lines in,where it enters from the RH side is numbered 1-7 and where it enters from the LH side is numbered 8-15,counting from the back to the front.

the green stickers indicate the crossovers,1-4 counting from the inside to the outside.

The red stickers indicate the station points,from the back to the front 1-6,7 and 8 are the freight yard.

pretty straightforward really mate,tho I still forget sometimes but it’s usually I forget to close it and end up with a crash👍😂😂

This week I m about to make a control table that will allow me to operate inside the layout as well as from the front by just spinning it around.

next step is to fit some facias to the inside to hide the wires and tidy things up a bit.

thanks for the comments buddy👍👍😀

• Like 4
Pauljag900

Brilliant sammy,

i went in the shed last night and spent 2 1/2 hrs just swapping trains in the yards and sidings and I ran every single train on my layout,not for long as there s quite a few,but great fun.

• Like 2
On 5/30/2018 at 11:13 PM, Pauljag900 said:

Hi Gavin,

pretty much the same method really,if you look on the window just to the left there s a diagram with the corresponding stickers that are on the points.

I needed to devise a system that was fairly easy to remember without looking at the diagram every time.So basically the blue stickers indicate the storage/display yard which has two lines in,where it enters from the RH side is numbered 1-7 and where it enters from the LH side is numbered 8-15,counting from the back to the front.

the green stickers indicate the crossovers,1-4 counting from the inside to the outside.

The red stickers indicate the station points,from the back to the front 1-6,7 and 8 are the freight yard.

pretty straightforward really mate,tho I still forget sometimes but it’s usually I forget to close it and end up with a crash👍😂😂

This week I m about to make a control table that will allow me to operate inside the layout as well as from the front by just spinning it around.

next step is to fit some facias to the inside to hide the wires and tidy things up a bit.

thanks for the comments buddy👍👍😀

This is similar to what I do. I color in the number sticker you get with the Kato switch with a sharpie marker color-coded to the yard it controls, green is for my front container yard, yellow is for the second container yard/industrial sidings, red controls the refinery yards. Station passing sidings, the shortcut in front of my station and the air base line are all just unmarked. 

• Like 2

I was testing some new layouts similar to the real layout of Ombetsu Station (Nemuro Line)

IMG_20180610_114125.jpg

Edited by lighthouse
  • Like 5

And a little more work yesterday on my layout... basically trying out more lighting, and finally imagining a station that we like and running trains on them!

First we have Hachioji station, the one which I like the best! 

TqG3TAT.jpg 

From Left to right - E233-6000 Yokohama Line, E233-0 Chuo Line and 209-500 Musashino Line, running a Musashino-Go service 

qQdYfHp.jpg

Another view, with the SL Ben-etsu Monogatari looking on from above (I know, it doesn't run anywhere near Hachioji but oh well...)

TA0ga62.jpg

205-3000 Hachiko Line and 205-500 Sagami Line sitting in the yard

JrfnpJY.jpg

Added a little Construction site diorama that I always liked... Seen here building a small house. 

And more lights on the layout!

UlqoFtG.jpg

Lights in the Yard, and surrounding office buildings 

L2dQEjX.jpg

Wires are getting messy.... Hey! What's the Helicopter doing on the tracks??? 

PKOt40S.jpg

Lovely garage. I am glad I decided to place this one on the layout!

Ri2k2K9.jpg

Night view of the station... gotta do something about the brightness of the station lights... 

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

I ve got the same problem Sammy,but do you find they re not quite so bad in real time? I think the camera just makes them look worse tbh.

All the same the layout is looking superb buddy,well done👍👍😀

Sammy,

have you thought about styrene tube for hiding the wires? Use it as a kind of conduit,you could always paint it to blend in with wherever it’s running along.

On ‎6‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 7:21 PM, Pauljag900 said:

I ve got the same problem Sammy,but do you find they re not quite so bad in real time? I think the camera just makes them look worse tbh.

All the same the layout is looking superb buddy,well done👍👍😀

Thanks buddy! Yeah the lights look horrible under the camera, and still manageable under the raw eyes... 

On ‎6‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 5:44 AM, Pauljag900 said:

Sammy,

have you thought about styrene tube for hiding the wires? Use it as a kind of conduit,you could always paint it to blend in with wherever it’s running along.

Good idea, the wires are getting out of hand, especially those above the maintenance shed... 

Let's have some fun building a diorama I am very familiar with, a construction site! (apologizes for those on facebook as they would already have seen this) 

jZMUtWb.jpg

Let's construct a construction site! (Pun intended)

gQU5Vtw.jpg

I like that cement truck, nice colours on it ~ 

PGYUDwb.jpg

Arial View 

8njyLTY.jpg

Frontal view... No space for a nice gate, so just some cones and a worker as a guard will have to do...

VimrspF.jpg

Always cordon off the lifting zone for safety.... And standing at a place where the crane operator can see you is very important 

i3J6yoH.jpg

View from the right side 

XnqIWs9.jpg

View from the rear side 

9Xoswx2.jpg

View from the left side. As there is an existing railway building right next to it, scaffolding is required to prevent flying debris 

Time to place it back onto the layout 

jTYe7J0.jpg

Little space between the two overhead viaducts 

Wed1ptc.jpg

As we can see, space is VERY cramped up, but a new house is still needed to be built near the maintenance yards to house the railroad workers...

nmKZ6Lo.jpg

And a street view 

DbWOLhX.jpg

Lastly an arial view... 

All in all quite satisfied with this, and one little component of the layout completed!  🙂

• Like 10

Superb buddy👍👍😀

I had a bit of fun yesterday sorting my trains and trying to make a few spare sidings.I joined some of the Trains together,not very prototypical but great fun running them so I m leaving them as they are for now.

6BB0D5CA-68D4-4C01-96FA-6B9C3EB8FF66.thumb.jpeg.d7eeabb98a49c01a6c0d7ef8b76f9e88.jpeg

Got a few loccos and freight cars on their way in the next few weeks so need space for them.I may be able to fit a couple more in the freight yard extension but wo nt know till I get the freight platform and see how much space is left.

• Like 8

I just installed all the new lighting kits I received yesterday.

It looks so beatifull now!

IMG_20180620_091206.jpg

• Like 11

So now I have a better idea of how the freight yard will develop.

the chemical plant and tanks will go to the left of the sub station with the loading point to the right either side of the track.

it also means I should get an extra two sidings in along the back.

As some guinea pigs live in the corner, I had to get a passageway free, else it wouldn't be possible to clean them out.

But I'll use the occasion to change some things on the layout.

IMG_20180621_231653.jpg

• Like 1
On ‎6‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 9:50 PM, railsquid said:

I hacked (literally) the Tomix viaduct double-to-quad-track adapter plates (part number 3066) to take a double slip, to save some space:

That's a great idea! Though I don't have straight turnouts, but it does look good!

On ‎6‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 11:47 PM, Pauljag900 said:

My two favourite things,opening parcels while running trains👍👍😀😀

Your yard is looking much grander each day mate!

6 hours ago, Waisneed said:

As some guinea pigs live in the corner, I had to get a passageway free, else it wouldn't be possible to clean them out.

But I'll use the occasion to change some things on the layout.

Guinea pigs! Those cute and fluffy little things?  😛

Maybe you can have a train running across their enclosure? (within a plastic tubing of course)... Sure will look pretty nice! Your N scale people can also get a feel of 'Jurassic Park' haha ~~  🙂

Edited by JR 500系
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

I had a short running session the layout today.  First I motorized a Tomytec Tosaden 800 from 7 years ago with a spare Tomytec TM-TR01 drive.  I got the fenders on the drive Ok, but when I try to put the body on only one end will fit down over the drive.  I've tried filing the inside of the body but without results. I ran the Tosaden 802 and a Hiroden 3004 for awhile.  Still lots of work to be done on the Euro layout finishing sidewalks, adding more vehicles and figures and on the separate Showa Layout which has been a time eater in recent weeks. Rain today and tomorrow so I may get some work done.

The photos show the two cars entering Centralplatz  and Centralplatz stop from above. I'm trying to keep those as generic modern as possible to fit the Euro theme.  But I have a feeling there may be Sushi restaurant coming soon.

IMG_6148 1024 x 768.jpg

IMG_6150  1024  x 768.jpg

Edited by bill937ca
  • Like 9

CA5841C5-3B33-43BB-8018-7908F98B801F.thumb.jpeg.2f2705b35671e52ae9061f4eedbb723a.jpeg

The refinery will fit along the back next to the sub station and the yard will have 4-5 sidings.

• Like 5