What did you do on your layout today? (N scale)

bill937ca

51 minutes ago, gavino200 said:

I've found this part to be easier said than done. I'm always able to get them perfect on installation. But over time (for me) they have a tendency to loosen. Sometimes one or two carriages need a tap, or flicker. Maybe I need to use a small amount of glue.

I use sticky tape to keep the reflector in place. I had to adjust the contacts a couple of times. Not a major pain. Also, I noticed most flickering happened when using the Kato straight DC controller at low speed. When using the Tomix PWM controller that kind of flickering disappears. All wheel pickup helps a lot, but one needs to keep track and wheels clean.

• Like 1

I have ballasted the gap between the track and the platform on the "back" side. I have grassed the track on the front side.

large.IMG_1383.JPG.66b3dbcd707e943914c7ce9fb5893c5c.JPG 

I need to do something about the red JST connector. I will paint it, and the cables, grey to make it less conspicuous. Then I will raise the green roof so it covers it. I very much like the truss catenary poles. I have to finish the modding so they go from side to side. Then I will think about installing a contact wire :)

large.IMG_1387.JPG.b63b13a277598cdf8ee02a6768760646.JPG

The height for the wire looks about right.

• Like 7

Well, not "on" my layout but more or less for it... I prepared photos from Wikimedia for an additional background.

panorama2_small.png.8d4e0c3b49e23aac06a60c7f75592dd1.png

panorama3_small.png.fc51937966dffbf09c60cb5b40a4e509.png

Both are based on panorama photos of Ozegahara marshland, uploaded to Wikimedia and licensed under CC-BY-SA 3.0 by user Sigma64 (so far for the legal part).

Im not sure which one I should print and use as background. In original size, second one has better resolution and fits better to the divisions of my cardboard support framework.

Since I'm a bit more careless as Pashina in my research, I plan to use it as background for anonymous Tohoku scenery. Well, I have to admit I also would shamelessly (ab-)use it for Hokkaido!

• Like 6

First attempt to model a lavender field. Lavender coloured leaf petals will be added later, I would like to see first how it will looks like after drying.

IMG_3862.thumb.jpg.fd75b5629f38246b9543018a8ba7aa4f.jpg   IMG_3871.thumb.jpg.f3f20c3864bc007f274f2b7a87685e33.jpg   IMG_3874.thumb.jpg.0aabf66e5ce36316a79358a5ee1e39f7.jpg

• Like 10

It was a choice between a fairly large bus depot or a bus lane but I was nt sure about the bus with it being so small,I mocked it up with some old track I had but still could nt decide until I saw jr500 s the other day,so inspired by that I decided to put it In.

Fitted as many street lights as I can for now and wired everything in.The cardboard pieces are the foot prints for the American buildings.The long row on the left are all 2,3 and four story buildings from woodland scenics,the single piece at the back is a police station and the pieces in the center are all from Outland models on eBay,not the best detail wise but offer excellent value for money and with the addition of some detail parts should look ok.I m also getting two of each and intend to stack them on top of each other to double the height,a bit of kitbashing and detailing which I ve never done before so could be a disaster😂😂

I ve got enough german kits here to finish the two rows either side of the plaza area,so that s next after I ve fitted a longer shelf at the front to organise the controllers and switches better.

will post some pics later once it goes dark.90D40F44-2F5F-4A53-B064-00E255B88E1C.thumb.jpeg.4b799363af349542902ed5dcf0786b58.jpeg79291035-FFEA-48E5-A71C-521E00DDBB93.thumb.jpeg.189b503f9dbfc5a75b8bcbc7cacab0cb.jpeg

The only downside at the moment is the slight bump where piece that covers the wiring meets the tram track but I ll try and disguise that at some point.

• Like 4
7 hours ago, Khaul said:

That looks very nice as always, IST. How do you colour the sides of the rails without getting any paint in the ties?

Thanks! Steady hands and lots of luck (because I do not have steady hands). Really, nothing special, paintbrush and Revell paint.

9 minutes ago, Pauljag900 said:

B76E79B2-0A20-44FF-A62E-A26E862380E1.thumb.jpeg.8cca19215545049e383d391ccd131385.jpeg9B6B3947-4DCC-4931-9577-2B71F630317E.thumb.jpeg.bda3fd033dce5657a938b5bc3c58560b.jpegNight time running.

That burning building is amazing. Is there a thread where you describe how you made it? Do you mind sharing?

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, gavino200 said:

That burning building is amazing. Is there a thread where you describe how you made it? Do you mind sharing?

Of course I do nt mind,I m just uploading a short video to YouTube and will put the link up soon as it uploads.

It s actually a kit that comes complete with the lights and smoke motor and the smoke oil,it s made by faller and costs about £70

i ll find a link to the kit and send it to you.

Looks like the result of some of my wiring, that does. 

But do like that McDonald's building. 

Edited by Drunkenclam
Additional line
  • Like 1

Ha ha,I know,it s a nightmare 😂😂😂😂I ve said it before,no matter how hard you try there always comes a point where it ends up looking like a plate of spaghetti,but so long as we know what’s what then it’s fine I guess.👍😀

Still more refinement work on the photo of Ozegahara... slight variation in cut from original image. I think I will go now with the second one.

Cut & paste of the three panorama parts into the common final print frame of 120x80cm.

• Like 2
17 hours ago, Drunkenclam said:

Looks like the result of some of my wiring, that does. 

But do like that McDonald's building. 

As soon as I get the mcDonald’s built I ll put a pic up so you can see it  assembled mate👍

• Like 1

Amazing work Paul! it truly is amazing and beautiful! Gotta love that burning building!

10 hours ago, gavino200 said:

Finally got my TORMs working. No flicker. Much relief :)

I love the Torms too! There are multiple LEDs on each stripe and that allows better lighting... and the best part is, there are even LED on the rear end where the connection is, which is often forgotten, leaving a dark patch there, but the TORM took care of this! Nice!

• Like 2
On 11/25/2017 at 6:46 AM, medusa said:

Still more refinement work on the photo of Ozegahara... slight variation in cut from original image. I think I will go now with the second one.

Cut & paste of the three panorama parts into the common final print frame of 120x80cm.

The second one looked better to me, the trees in the foreground of the first one kind of threw off the sense of scale. I eventually have to get around to this at some point too, sick of seeing basement wall on all 4 sides...

• Like 1

Things move very slowly in the house of clam

But did a little sanding down to my curved crossing and glued some figures down into the shrine complex with some added sakura to add to a tourist attraction.

DSC00240.thumb.JPG.698b8572a25f7e9576cad4ac70a16e94.JPG

DSC00238.thumb.JPG.3d3b866100084613efb495fc3ec68671.JPG

Its only after I looked at the pictures, did I notice I must have knocked the roof. Oh well, At least its not glued in place like that.

DSC00237.thumb.JPG.e1f598ae52a9e1c01b74724be67e2491.JPG

DSC00236.thumb.JPG.f13f43c43dbc2068ad8a6d4e743a7671.JPG

• Like 8

I'm still crawling back to where my layout was before I scrubbed it and started round three....four? Whatever it is now. :::grin::: 

It's getting there. I hope to have things to a point where I can get my buildings back on the layout by 2018. I like running the trains around, but buildings and scenery and figure interactions are what I really enjoy. Today, I hope to get my tunnel set up. I have a gig fixing up another person's layout in return for a Hot Toys sixth scale figure, so I'll be back burnering my layout for a while.

YouTube update can be found here:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1