What did you do on your layout today? (N scale)

bill937ca

Sometimes you are not doing anything ON the layout, but BELOW... Yesterday's task was to clean the desks and prepare the next 2 T-trak moduls. Mission accomplished! (And I really do not want to show you what was on the desks before.)

cleandesk_20171026.thumb.jpg.e8d298e6c7114acb9a49babda1582294.jpg

• Like 8

kvp made this post a few days ago, including a plan for trams.

As I have some Unitram tracks at home, I thought I build it just for fun, playing on the floor.

So I started to look after what I have:

forfun_20171101_1.thumb.jpg.dcf006a8ba2378f9c9a37f7bcae6f032.jpg

It seemed I will have enough tracks while I can put additional sidings:

forfun_20171101_2.thumb.jpg.aaa14b914bb6ecfb8a49078139d5a495.jpg

So I connected the tracks, made the neccesary wirings and added some catenary:

forfun_20171101_3.thumb.jpg.3902abfca1e6db9e9a737315027dec2c.jpg

At the end, it is fun to play on it. It would need blocks to run more trams safely at the same time, but without them it is OK, I could run 3 trams with lots of attention.

I made a small video, including a tram running on the tracks:

• Like 11

Wow! Nice! The layout is big enough for a nice run! Well done!

I see you have that lovely police tram! I always wanted that guy!

somehow, shinkantram comes to mind ~~ strange sound your motor is making though...

7 hours ago, JR 500系 said:

somehow, shinkantram comes to mind ~~ strange sound your motor is making though...

Yes, I know. Long time no run these trams, so some cleaning and oiling are needed.

IST - very nice, but would there really be any reason to create a video without a tram running?

> I made a small video, including a tram running on the tracks:

20 minutes ago, velotrain said:

IST - very nice, but would there really be any reason to create a video without a tram running?

My point was only A tram running on the tracks, not 2 or 3. Sorry for my poor English. :-)

• Like 1

"I have some tram tracks" is quite an understatement IST, it's like Sammy saying I have some Japanese trains. :)

Edited by serotta1972
  • Haha 4
22 minutes ago, IST said:

My point was only A tram running on the tracks, not 2 or 3. Sorry for my poor English. :-)

I suspect the concept is the same in Hungarian ;-)

2 hours ago, serotta1972 said:

"I have some tram tracks" is quite an understatement IST, it's like Sammy saying I have some Japanese trains. :)

Hey I really do have some Japanese trains, but someone I know has some more trains!  *looks at Junior*

• Haha 2
30 minutes ago, JR 500系 said:

Hey I really do have some Japanese trains, but someone I know has some more trains!  *looks at Junior*

Just for fun, both of you should count how many trains do you have. :-)

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, IST said:

Just for fun, both of you should count how many trains do you have. :-)

I m guessing they d both need a calculator😂😂😂👍

3 hours ago, velotrain said:

I suspect the concept is the same in Hungarian ;-)

Not quite. You can use the same words for saying 'a tram' and 'one tram'. The exact meaning is usually determinable from the context. This is why you could leave out the 'a' part most of the time. So saying something like 'tram runs', but usually you would say 'one tram runs'. (with 's' and not with 'is -ing') The whole language is different, that's why i tend to make lots of errors when writing in english.

• Like 1

Not to mention that in Hungarian you say "tram", "trams", but "one tram", "three tram" - you use the singular form of the word after a quantifier.

• Like 1

Yusss! I think this works pretty nicely.

Also, changed all couplers on my Kato 485 Series to shibata-type couplers. No real change in car distance, but it looks really nice.

• Like 7

Looks like a big thumbs up there buddy👍👍👍I assume the power feed is on the track that connects to the transverse?

5 hours ago, kvp said:

Not quite. You can use the same words for saying 'a tram' and 'one tram'. The exact meaning is usually determinable from the context. This is why you could leave out the 'a' part most of the time. So saying something like 'tram runs', but usually you would say 'one tram runs'. (with 's' and not with 'is -ing') The whole language is different, that's why i tend to make lots of errors when writing in english.

By concept I meant that if a video was made there's an expectation that some motion is shown, so there should be no need to mention that "any number" of trams are running  ;-)

This should be language independent.

1 hour ago, Pauljag900 said:

Looks like a big thumbs up there buddy👍👍👍I assume the power feed is on the track that connects to the transverse?

Thank you. For this video I quickly used a 9V battery, but I intend to attach wires to both ends of the connecting tracks on the traverser and possibly even integrate a controller within the traverser at some point to make it completely standalone.

The next steps are to raise the tracks to 6cm height, put sliding locks into place for when not in use, and give the traverser module a nice finish. However, these aren't very urgent.

More urgent is a mirror module to compensate this one. This one will be connected by the bridge tracks you see partially in the video to make a loop.

I want to have at least a runnable setup in December so I can clean up the house before the second child is born. :P

Edited by Kabutoni
  • Like 1
16 minutes ago, velotrain said:

By concept I meant that if a video was made there's an expectation that some motion is shown, so there should be no need to mention that "any number" of trams are running  ;-)

This should be language independent.

Yes, but it was a video to show that a single controller and a single (=one) tram could be used to go over every possible routes on the layout, including both crossovers and both directions on the main loop without any special measures to avoid a short circuit. It just works. The video ends when the tram arrives back to its starting position. The video also doesn't show how to operate more than one tram with a single controller, but it's possible with at least up to 3 trams and you can even stop 2 of them without adding extra feeders, blocks or traction power switches.

ps: Languge independent or not, the important thing was that unlike unconnected loops built without the S connections, this layout has double tracks all over, but still handles like a big single track setup, so it's fully traversable with a tram, a single tram.

• Confused 1

I would like to turn back the topic to its original content, so here are some pictures from this evening in the club. I started to build another 2 T-trak moduls, so I made some Tomytec buildings and tried 2 different methods to weather a bus stop (with Tamiya Weathering Master powder and with Tamiya Panel Line Accent Color brown paint, the last one is better I think, you can see both results on the 4th picture), and glue down some styrene sheets for road and parking places. I put the buildings into their future places, just to have a first expression, how it will look like.

IMG_3810.thumb.jpg.ca4121d732128ca83e7f0ffed244e531.jpgIMG_3811.thumb.jpg.21f01f6dcd25850e1bef68db72e932fd.jpgIMG_3812.thumb.jpg.847432ba5f841d6faa12d9a22cdce537.jpgIMG_3813.thumb.jpg.8578c49b6d65d719805331dd35659a63.jpgIMG_3814.thumb.jpg.d946b5dbe66c29cc36b9c47856803142.jpgIMG_3816.thumb.jpg.f3bba5782f4ff7450effb166b5988319.jpg

• Like 3

I think the tracks in modules look far too clean for the Tsurumi line in the early 80s. So I have done a weathering experiment with a 124mm piece. Then I had some spare wash that went into a Hoki. 

large.IMG_1316.JPG.956a5a950e15917c6a257f914292b87d.JPG

large.IMG_1315.JPG.2ebb6a094fe61905be1f7a9780550d23.JPG

I quite like this one.

large.IMG_1327.JPG.57a7c26db863be66014c74debd2bdbf9.JPG

I was too impatient and removed the paint at the top too early. I'll have to retouch the sides of the rails.

large.IMG_1319.JPG.e56f65df883deb6d41200d6ec791744b.JPGlarge.IMG_1318.JPG.90e1d001cfb9c39abad0d8c5f421bc1c.JPG

This is the newly weathered Hoki. I just used some rust wash on it.

large.IMG_1320.JPG.22ba3b45cab1e7f19dffa4438c964389.JPG

I went medieval on this other one.

large.IMG_1313.JPG.b9a4b3987b02bc5b1c436281f67a0acd.JPG

Hook line up.

• Like 7

weathering is not as easy as it looks and is very much trial and error,but this looks pretty good mate for your first effort,well done 

Yes it takes experience to know what gives you what effect. I buy cheap old cars at train shows as practice cars to learn new weathering or get back in practice after a hiatus from it.

jeff