bill937ca

What did you do on your layout today?

Kamome

I think he advertised Kirin lager in the mid 90s. There are a wealth of odd Hollywood stars advertising things in Japan. A few years ago I seem to recall a boss coffee commercial with Arnold Schwarzenegger, Bruce Willis and Tommy Lee Jones.

• Like 1

cteno4

Yep and Sean Connery, bill Murray, and even Sammy Davis doing Suntory whisky ads!

• Like 3

lighthouse
Posted (edited)

Ah ok, i thought the movie "Lost in Translations" with Bill Murray was a fiction with Suntory! 😀

Edited by lighthouse

cteno4

Yep I guess was a free ad for suntory! Maybe they ended up Paying for it to actually be suntory and not a made up brand (or their competition).

i has foegottonen about Peter falk and orson Wells. I think we had a discussion on this like 10 years back.

jeff

• Like 1

nscalestation
On 8/11/2019 at 3:25 AM, lighthouse said:

Is it Harrison Ford in the poster? 🤔🤣

Yes it is.  I found that poster on the internet.  The building had a scar from some other sign that had been on it and removed so I was looking for something to cover it up.   From my own observation it would seem the most common non Japanese in advertising these days is Tommy Lee Jones for Suntory.    Since I am trying to represent the 1990's on this set of modules I am using the old Suntory Boss image near the station.   I have always thought it looked like Joe  Stalin.  Does anyone know you it really is ?

people2.jpg

• Like 2

Madsing

Worked on my level crossing this weekend. It's a standard Tomix 5569, in a "difficult position". I had to cut many small styrene pieces...

IMG_8658.thumb.jpg.9088bbc8be5801f08e36a11e8c1108e2.jpgIMG_8659.thumb.jpg.27153b4e175b86d5fba6b40f1bc891a7.jpg

• Like 15

Coromant

Hello All!

I remodelled my cherry trees on the T-trak, up the first version, and below the rev.2.0. I use the original trees, cut the branches a half and put Model Scene fine bushes (701-03S), after that i sprinkling with the Kato cherry blossom powder (24-371) and fixing with hair spray:

20181024_092908.thumb.jpg.fe327f260369e2dbe6f9b149f007cec0.jpg20190813_160626.thumb.jpg.09a25ea52b08239d1f43e7d2cefb5524.jpg

Best regards,

Coromant

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

bill937ca

Filled an odd spot on the tram layout with a piece of TGW Scenery Mat S Spring Green. It is a fabric like material. I made a cardstock pattern  before cutting the piece out.

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10383054

IMG_7499 1024 x 768.jpg

• Like 2

Madsing

I had some time to run trains this weekend, and I took the opportunity to record this short video

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Pauljag900
38 minutes ago, Madsing said:

I had some time to run trains this weekend, and I took the opportunity to record this short video

That’s the quickest welding repair I ve ever seen😂😂

absoloutely superb layout mate,the night shots with all the animated lights is fantastic,well done buddy,fantastic layout👍👍😀

serotta1972

Wow, awesome video and layout!  Thanks for sharing.

cteno4

Marc,

really stunning! Lots of great scenes there and fantastic automation. Kudos!

cheers,

jeff

gcmr_new_zealand

You are setting a high standard for us to follow!  Love your attention to detail.

NX:

Having some spare time today, I made a couple of CDUs.

Both tested, both working.

02.thumb.jpg.753648da7e0532275d7e483807ab1a27.jpg

• Like 2

cteno4

Nice, they are so simple to wire up and add indicators, you can even do cascades with them.

jeff

katoftw

What is a CDU?

cteno4

Capacitor Discharge Unit. It’s the BCD circuit talked about before on the forum. It’s basically a way to throw a single coil switch one way with the discharge of the capacitor and the other way with the back current from the charge of the capacitor. Simple and clean way to give just then right charge pulse to the coil to make  a perfect switch throw. Better than the momentary pulse sent by the usual manual switch throws.

jeff

cteno4

That’s a different design that is a little more complex, but the older traditional design to have a cap to charge and fire to each direction/polarity so you need 2 caps per point and a bit more wiring.

the BCD circuit uses only one cap and uses the feature that you can get a reverse pulse when the cap is the reverse charging polarity so when you flip it that way you get a pulse just like the other way you get the other polarity when the cap discharges. It’s an odd thing to wrap your head around and just has to do with this odd feature of electrolytic caps in reverse polarity. This reduces the circuit down to  just a cap and a spdt switch. Uber simple and you can wire it up in a terminal strip (ie no soldering) like nx did. You can add led for direction indicators and even set up memory and cascade circuits for ladders or routes with multiple circuits. 

Pm me and I can send you George’s docs he would had our. He passed away a couple of years ago, but in my last communication with him he stil did not want his docs published as he wanted to publish them. He was fine with folks passing the docs around. I just honor his wishes. KVP reversed engineered the basics in this thread.

jeff