What did you do on your layout today? (N scale)

bill937ca

It's not really on the layout, but it is in the train room. I got this freebie two years ago in Japan at a JR office, and I just got around to putting it together. It's a tissue box holder. I like it.

ttyjUzR.jpg

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

Added some fake snow and extra figures to my Xmas market scene. All came about after I was given the Glühwein stall kit by Noch and noticed the miniature illuminated trees in Marks and Spencer for £3...

• Like 6

Thanks, the original plan was that it would sit inside a half circle of 150mm curves, but the foamboard had bowed so it caught on passing coaches. I've put the straight edge against the track instead which doesn't cause a problem. The other trees were 95p cheapies from the local model shop, dabbed with the same mix of white acrylic paint and snow powder I used for the ground covering. The stall roofs were coated with Glue 'n Glaze and given a dusting of the same snow powder.

Finally had some time to improve the look of the Tomytec Uzui Station, still a work in progress. I bashed two kits together to make the station section of the bridge full length.  Now I just have to scratch build the rest of the bridge. Ignore the mess of the base, also a work in progress 😉

IMG_5854.thumb.JPG.f8f8e555d2a74dda9d614a3c6f93df46.JPG

I removed the molded on lip and glued on Tomix railings which makes a world of difference.

IMG_5856.thumb.JPG.1458416d34032d2aec94b59ff623abda.JPG

Experimenting with paint on the station, I used Polly Scale concrete paint which is no longer available and I am out of it. Eventually I will paint the entire structure to get rid of the plastric look. I left the back of the platform edge unpainted so the glue for the fence would bond better however I think I might use a photo etch chain link fence instead of the oversized plastic one included with the kit.

IMG_5858.thumb.JPG.a9efcc73b4f0338497972dca7c851f13.JPG

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Not so much what I did but what I plan to do next year.It s just too awkward to keep getting underneath and to maintain so I want to make it slightly easier to maintain by changing the layout to an L shape.Overall it will be 340cms long and 225cms side with the boards 100cm deep.It s taken weeks to finally fit everything in that I want.I originally wanted to use the smaller board at the back for the yards and station area but I just could nt get the length in the sidings to accommodate my trains so I decided to use the main board for this and the smaller board for the city area.The two small loops are the tram lines.I ve reduced the no of loops to 6 from 8 and a few less sidings but it can still accommodate a total of 25 trains.

its gonna be one heck of a long walk through the subway from the station entrance to the main line and Shinkansen line!😂😂😂But I guess there s always a compromise.

it will be built straight on to the fixed boards already there and any wiring will be straight through to underneath,extended to a master board on the side of the shed at waste height,a lot more cable but no strain or pain on my aching joints!! This will include all track and point motor cables also.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, katoftw said:

How you gonna support all that viaduct? Lots of structures underneth.

When I first made the plan the viaduct was running directly above the sidings in the Center of the board so I altered  it,so as where ever it’s crossing over the ground level one or the other track pieces are curving,this makes it easier to do.I ve got two options,I ve got some styrene tubing so I ll drill o hole in the baseboard and glue it in and make my own,or the other option is to support it on either side of the sidings and I have a friend who s a glazier and will cut me some glass to bridge across the two outer supports.To be honest,it s something I ve thought about and I ll deal with it when I get there,I guess there s always a way.

• Haha 1

Amazing as always Paul... that huge layout is impressive indeed! Just looking at the plan is enough to give me quite a headache, let alone building it! 

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, JR 500系 said:

Amazing as always Paul... that huge layout is impressive indeed! Just looking at the plan is enough to give me quite a headache, let alone building it! 

Thanks Sammy.

it wo nt be so bad mate,it s just L shaped loops with a few sidings really,the only fiddly bit,as Kato rightly pointed out,will be supporting the viaduct track but I ll get around it somehow mate👍😂😂

Finally, I got my Orient Express D51 up and running. It's a great little loco. Kato steamers are surprisingly fast and strong. I have it set up as a double header now with my regular D51. Unfortunately I left my double crossover open and had a full speed head on collision with my 500 Shinkansen. It was quite spectacuular. Luckily nothing damaged. I would have take a picture for the crash thread, but I was far too shocked.

z0Gkxg0.jpg

2rJSpNE.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

Despite promised the whole day to work out in the shed. I only got a couple of hours. 

Enough time to get the raised section glued and screwed into place with removable access panel to the tracks below. With section clamped whilst glue takes hold.

20181223_164731.thumb.jpg.7a04ac6aa15b751f296a1bbeafdf151d.jpg

• Like 7

So I completed the base board section and put the cut outs to support the single section of viaduct track being used as a road bridge.

Now so tempting to put a small section of Tomix stone bed wide tram rail in this top section. I only plan on running Keihan 600s on this section anyway.

20181229_111008.thumb.jpg.2cd4ace88c1ad9945a6beab75052da27.jpg

• Like 11
3 hours ago, Coromant said:

The school is awesome, i want it! 😄

It is nice. But I actually have no where to put it. I wanted to put it on the rasied section. I'll probably end up cutting it in half or using it as a lift out section in the middle of the loop.

I've been cleaning and making room in my basement to set up my semi-permanent, approx 8'x4' layout.   I went to Lowe's today and got some wood and foam board and some metal straps/corners and some silicone to build it with.   I also moved a table with my old 2008 era Mac Pro out next to my main computer corner where my Mac and day job Mac are so it will be easy to use next to the layout [which Mac now has Windows 10 natively on it (as the train software for my command station and DCC programmers is Windows only)].

We are getting closer.  I hope to build the layout frame/board on Monday.   Basically an approxc 8x4 frame with a cross in the middle made of 2x4 using metal straps, corner brackets, etc to hold it rigid.  We'll see how it goes.   I have 2x  1" x 2' x 8' blue foam boards to use as the top, and i may add a layer of approx 4-5mm foam board on top of that.  Silicone used to hold it firm on the wood and to tack track down.  The white shelf will be screwed to one of the long ends of the layout and used to hold a laptop and programming track, the command station, boosters, and any other electronics and modules.

IMG_0188.jpg

IMG_0189.jpg

Edited by chadbag
  • Like 3

Spent a few days in the shed looking at the new plan and trying to imagine where things will be,came to the conclusion that it s going to be just as awkward to maintain with having to reach around the viaduct track.I was nt bothered about supporting it,I d have got around that but reaching over and under to clean Just is nt practical.So I ve removed it and will keep it all on one level.I know it looks good and is prototypical of Japanese rail systems but I need to be practical.

i ve added in an extra two loops and will use Kato s V16 and V11 sets as the basis for the plan. It will be the same size as the original plan,340x225cms with 100cm deep boards.The mountain on the LH side should be big enough to accommodate my three modules,shrine,farm and church.

AAF1063B-995F-4DEE-82A7-9126A728EA3B.thumb.jpeg.1a472f86c4cb84ddb5ad2e502cb79056.jpeg

Wife went back to work today,6-6 days,no prizes for guessing where I ve been for most of it!😂😂 Ran almost all of the trains,one or two were a bit sluggish having not been run for a while,so I did a bit of a movie,probably the last one before the tear down.

.,for anyone who s intrested.

Hope you all had a great Xmas, 

All the best for 2019 gents,hope you all have a good year👍👍😀🍾🍻

Edited by Pauljag900
  • Like 6
1 hour ago, Pauljag900 said:

Spent a few days in the shed looking at the new plan and trying to imagine where things will be,came to the conclusion that it s going to be just as awkward to maintain with having to reach around the viaduct track.I was nt bothered about supporting it,I d have got around that but reaching over and under to clean Just is nt practical.So I ve removed it and will keep it all on one level.I know it looks good and is prototypical of Japanese rail systems but I need to be practical.

i ve added in an extra two loops and will use Kato s V16 and V11 sets as the basis for the plan. It will be the same size as the original plan,340x225cms with 100cm deep boards.The mountain on the LH side should be big enough to accommodate my three modules,shrine,farm and church.

AAF1063B-995F-4DEE-82A7-9126A728EA3B.thumb.jpeg.1a472f86c4cb84ddb5ad2e502cb79056.jpeg

Wife went back to work today,6-6 days,no prizes for guessing where I ve been for most of it!😂😂 Ran almost all of the trains,one or two were a bit sluggish having not been run for a while,so I did a bit of a movie,probably the last one before the tear down.

.,for anyone who s intrested.

Hope you all had a great Xmas, 

All the best for 2019 gents,hope you all have a good year👍👍😀🍾🍻

I like the video. I really love how many trains you can run at one time. Someday I'd like to have a layout this lively. Looking forward to seeing your progress with the next version!

• Like 1

Wow. That's a lot of crossovers in a row. 

As for the school building. Seem mostly out of laminated card. Built up in layers

20181230_194208.thumb.jpg.15061f33ac2c0165d688954130bd0f19.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1