What did you do on your layout today? (N scale)

bill937ca

a small amount of progress on my Picton Layout (TT scale) changed the original resin block house for a recently assembled and painted 3D print model with lighting added. Soldered up some more fencing for around the property and added cattle stops. using 1/148 sheep which i have added wire to for mounting in paddock. still thinking on ways to add more wool to them. slowly getting there.

20180808_181419.jpg

20180808_231512.jpg

20180812_215244.jpg

20180817_164637.jpg

• Like 13

I m trying to work my way around the layout making small,removeable diaramas to fill in the gaps.I m trying to do this while it’s still warm as once the colder weather comes it ll be back to building the kits indoors for the tram module.

This next area is going to prove a bit of a challenge,it s where the tram and train layout meet and is on two diferent levels.Neither area is big enough for a village or town so after trawling the Internet yet again for Tomix and Kato Buildings my initial thoughts are for a restaurant on the lower level and a church with a wedding on the top level and try and tie them together with a roadway.

6058B048-DFE4-4C05-8615-7796F273063C.thumb.jpeg.1c4878f5dc234b52e47fd2c678345529.jpeg

• Like 6

Paul mate your layout just looks better with each day! The multi-tier tracks are really something to behold, bet your grand children have a great time each time they run some trains on that beautiful layout!

Not exactly doing something on my layout, but somewhat layout related, and giving my display cabinet a little more love...

hxnCsmm.jpg

Making a little name tag especially for visitors who are not so proficient with Japanese trains ~

SxDGszC.jpg

One and only JR Kyushu shinkansen~

9OX3YxG.jpg

9f8HaAb.jpg

Not bad at all, especially more so when the spot lights are switched on! (which reminds me, time to clean that glass...)

• Like 12
58 minutes ago, JR 500系 said:

Paul mate your layout just looks better with each day! The multi-tier tracks are really something to behold, bet your grand children have a great time each time they run some trains on that beautiful layout!

Not exactly doing something on my layout, but somewhat layout related, and giving my display cabinet a little more love...

hxnCsmm.jpg

Making a little name tag especially for visitors who are not so proficient with Japanese trains ~

SxDGszC.jpg

One and only JR Kyushu shinkansen~

9OX3YxG.jpg

9f8HaAb.jpg

Not bad at all, especially more so when the spot lights are switched on! (which reminds me, time to clean that glass...)

Thanks sammy👍👍😀

I love this cabinet sammy,great idea with those name tags too buddy👏😀👍

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, JR 500系 said:

9f8HaAb.jpg

Nice Sammy, well done!

Though I think I would have looked into adhesive vynil printing if I were you. It is relatively cheap and you probably could have applied the vynils directly to the side of the shelves. That said, it would have required a bit more work.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Running my motley collection of Shinkansens to check for clearance etc.

Last year, December:

38427365925_866f39a7ab_z.jpg

tunnel-test-e4 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

This week:

29238202597_16703ae366_z.jpg

Tomix E1 and E4 Shinkansens by Rail Squid, on Flickr

Recent scenic additions (work-in-progress) have allowed some additional "depth" without showing wallpaper (though a bit of curtain does creep in):

29238395117_80df056c34_z.jpg

Tomix E2 Shinkansen by Rail Squid, on Flickr

And another shot from a different angle which would show an expanse of wallpaper but I GIMPed it into a vaguely sky-like colour:

43269912325_fccfb6f43b_z.jpg

Tomix E2 Shinkansen by Rail Squid, on Flickr

• Like 10

After two hours of measuring,cutting ,glueing and pinning in place .i finally managed to make the base for the area between tram and train.

2EDD6E7A-CDDE-4663-B50E-D33A5BEAF4E4.thumb.jpeg.9c11f642205e48989e8e1e93ad254bab.jpeg

• Like 4

Left to dry whils I pinned the wires underneath in place.

i then pinned it In Position on the layout.

waiting for tarmac sheets now so I can start to scenic it.Just enough clearance under the “Low bridge” for the bus to get under it.

F026291D-3BEC-4CCF-9A95-8C7BAA5410BF.thumb.jpeg.501826e5a3c760499e4dc62e5beb68dc.jpeg

• Like 9

I upgraded my viaduct to four track shinkansen style. Just missing side platforms ans the correct catenary hangers now. But those will have to wait.

IMG_20180823_134905.jpg

• Like 9

I found enough tarmac sheets to put the roads and tarmac areas in on the module.

33930BF1-90CC-41F1-B496-0FA0F0BD5B03.thumb.jpeg.935efeedd274129f69ca56b0ee2bd273.jpeg

Starting to take shape now.

• Like 4

Did a bit more to the current module today by adding some road  markings(which should please Sammy😂👍) some trees and foliage.Tomorrow I ll tidy up the front edge.

I wanted to use one of the Tomix churches and raised up restaurants but just can t squeeze them in so I ve found a small church from kestrel designs, only basic but not much of it will be seen,and I ll use two of the older style Kato restaurants at the front.(white paper)

tomorrow i ll return it to the layout until I get the buildings in a few weeks.Once I have them I ll fit street lights and building lights.

this is more or less the angle it will be seen from.

47A4AD67-E0D0-4469-A99E-9BD17130EA2C.thumb.jpeg.79d2530ba376dbc78961101743f440d0.jpeg

• Like 6

Wow Paul buddy that road looks great with its gradient and all, and of course the road markings are the beautiful final touches! The trees and folliages are very nicely done too, great job there!

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Pauljag900 said:

Did a bit more to the current module today by adding some road  markings(which should please Sammy😂👍) some trees and foliage.Tomorrow I ll tidy up the front edge.

I wanted to use one of the Tomix churches and raised up restaurants but just can t squeeze them in so I ve found a small church from kestrel designs, only basic but not much of it will be seen,and I ll use two of the older style Kato restaurants at the front.(white paper)

tomorrow i ll return it to the layout until I get the buildings in a few weeks.Once I have them I ll fit street lights and building lights.

this is more or less the angle it will be seen from.

47A4AD67-E0D0-4469-A99E-9BD17130EA2C.thumb.jpeg.79d2530ba376dbc78961101743f440d0.jpeg

Nice scene! What power pack is that in the top left of the screen. It looks just like the one I had as a kid.

16 minutes ago, gavino200 said:

Nice scene! What power pack is that in the top left of the screen. It looks just like the one I had as a kid.

Hi Gavin,

it s a hammant and Morgan duette,which is powering the two trams at the moment,fantastic controller but old ,big and heavy.I m slowly changing all mine to Kato with one Tomix.

but I ll be keeping one of them as they have the 16v ac output on the side which I need to power the fair ride motors and the smoke motor in the burning building.

Edited by Pauljag900
6 minutes ago, Pauljag900 said:

Hi Gavin,

it s a hammant and Morgan duette,which is powering the two trams at the moment,fantastic controller but old ,big and heavy.I m slowly changing all mine to Kato with one Tomix.

but I ll be keeping one of them as they have the 16v ac output on the side which I need to power the fair ride motors and the smoke motor in the burning building.

Ah, yes. Mine wasn't a duett. It was more like this.

https://www.google.com/search?biw=1440&bih=763&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=SD6AW7TrNYS8tgWvkZnwBg&q=hammant+and+Morgan&oq=hammant+and+Morgan&gs_l=img.3..35i39k1j0j0i24k1l4.13106.13242.0.14569.2.2.0.0.0.0.72.144.2.2.0....0...1.1.64.img..0.2.144....0.SMhVxuTZ3Mw#imgrc=nidJZs_8KqczGM:

I used the outlet on the side with an added switch to power an extra track. Memories.....

• Like 1

That sounds like the “clipper”, which is a single version of the duette,and as you quite rightly said,you can buy a slave controller that connects via pins to the power outlet on the side👍👍

That sounds like the “clipper”, which is a single version of the duette,and as you quite rightly said,you can buy a slave controller that connects via pins to the power outlet on the side👍👍

19 minutes ago, Pauljag900 said:

We weren’t that fancy. We just connected directly to the track.On/off only.

• Haha 1

Nice scenes Gavin.

I did a bit of work today. I have started the scenic separations and put together a mock-up to see how things could be in module 1.

IMG_1970.JPG.004115e9804440f3f820f684d2dd5a4d.JPG

A general view of the module mock-up. The road on the side of the module serves the stations, a few buildings and it finishes in a factory yard. This way I don't need to worry about the road finishing abruptly against a wall. 

IMG_1972.JPG.f43dc184fa31101f4f18fb4c00ea5f8f.JPG

The platform.

IMG_1971.JPG.5f8eda594a5c33cd9f32784c3ec8746b.JPG

The street side, under construction. The shops are next to the station, then a couple of houses and then a shrine. There is big factory across the road. 

IMG_1974.JPG.7bd5cfc21ad3dd5916dd04a00679ccdb.JPG

You can tell I have fixed my balast. The catenary is meant to frame the hole. You can also see the factory yard here.

IMG_1976.JPG.fa56a21f6cb75720fd9ecdc03c19bc88.JPG

The factory yard surface will be made of the koboru sheets. I will rip the dark road to the North. i like the booth at the factory yard entrance. There will be nice translucent windows in the factory buildings and doors in the truck entrance. The yard is, sort of, wide enough for the trailers to manoeuvre, but well, I may just get shorter trucks.

IMG_1977.JPG.09b86e14b3d2aefe49215b2bdac90acf.JPG

A busy moment in the Tsurumi line.

IMG_1975.JPG.e40d8e2769c8e2d8774127218c57f918.JPG

Another view of the factory yard.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
55 minutes ago, gavino200 said:

Continued growth in layoutland. The Sagawa depot expands and Kansai TV opens a local buro.

Nice work! I love that cute little camera man! Which set does that comes from? Does it also come with a reporter with mic in hand?  😛

9 minutes ago, Khaul said:

Nice scenes Gavin.

I did a bit of work today. I have started the scenic separations and put together a mock-up to see how things could be in module 1.

The platform.

Beautiful work! I especially love the platform, the greens on the tracks, the weathered roof and support pillars and the trees along with the angle of this shot makes this looks really nice and realistic! 

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, gavino200 said:

Continued growth in layoutland. The Sagawa depot expands and Kansai TV opens a local buro.

Ubg3VFp.jpg

1gQ0NH7.jpg

Your Sagawa yard is bustling with activity, very nice!

• Thanks 1
32 minutes ago, JR 500系 said:

Nice work! I love that cute little camera man! Which set does that comes from?

Bandai Working Vehicle Vol. 7

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10051925

32 minutes ago, JR 500系 said:

Does it also come with a reporter with mic in hand?  😛

Each truck in the set comes with a different figure, so I think yes. I got a second one in more plain colors that I'm going to use as a "communications truck" for my riot police. 

If you do get one of these, be careful with the little satellite dish. The joints are fragile. You have to place the base on the truck first. Then add the dish to the base. Otherwise you're likely to break it and have to glue it together. Don't ask me how I know this. 😞

• Haha 1
49 minutes ago, Khaul said:

Nice scenes Gavin.

A general view of the module mock-up. The road on the side of the module serves the stations, a few buildings and it finishes in a factory yard. This way I don't need to worry about the road finishing abruptly against a wall. 

The platform.

The street side, under construction. The shops are next to the station, then a couple of houses and then a shrine. There is big factory across the road. 

You can tell I have fixed my balast. The catenary is meant to frame the hole. You can also see the factory yard here.

The factory yard surface will be made of the koboru sheets. I will rip the dark road to the North. i like the booth at the factory yard entrance. There will be nice translucent windows in the factory buildings and doors in the truck entrance. The yard is, sort of, wide enough for the trailers to manoeuvre, but well, I may just get shorter trucks.

A busy moment in the Tsurumi line.

Another view of the factory yard.

I agree with JR. The whole piece is outstanding. The vegetation is fantastic. Could you write a few sentences about your process/method? I'd love to know how you achieved this.