What did you do on your layout today? (N scale)

bill937ca

Wow, that's high level magic Waisneed!

I did not perform any trick, but I almost finished the first half of my traverser.

IMG_1881.JPG.40770b36d30bedad331f532946317aa1.JPGIMG_1882.JPG.28ad966a8206bfa258934b969828a04e.JPG

First I found a really good use for some of my wife's books. On the right there is the traverser upside down.

IMG_1883.JPG.75efb80c5be4e7ba91fc00caf8f7d410.JPGIMG_1885.JPG.67031b0c9de372475d1c9f58675a1422.JPG

And this is how it looks. The tracks on the right are not glued, just for show. It can fit up to 8, but I think I will start with 4.

This is a modular traverser. So there I still need to build an identical module to reach a 4x248 length, not too bad. The connection to the main line double track will be done with 20-050 expansion track pieces on both sides of the traverser, built on two small custom modules. The modularity is a solution to my lack of storage space, each have of the traverser fits on a shallow drawer, and also to the lack of space to built the layout, as the traverser saves a huge amount of space on the access ladders on both sides.

Edited by Khaul
  • Like 4
12 hours ago, brill27mcb said:

Yes, the Arnold articulated strassenbahn trams operate around Tomix 140mm curves quite well.

Rich K.

That’s a relief! I tried on the Kato CV1 curves and it seemed to be making hard work of it, but then Peco Radius 1 also seems to do that.

I have just ordered a pile of Tomix tram track and I was wondering if it had been a waste of money!

On 7/13/2018 at 5:50 AM, Waisneed said:

Today I did some magic!

I made my layout disapear!

It'll come back. But the space is still our livingroom. And that big TV doesn't watch itself, now does it?

IMG_20180713_123424.thumb.jpg.d26edca423d8958314d8377e2c06d9da.jpg

I like the full length Lego train!!

• Like 1

I put together the second traverser module and laid the central two tracks.

DSC_0754.jpg.013eeb30ee522ebf8374463769c264ef.jpg

A general view.

DSC_0753.jpg.3fe4b762559c6ae9e4cda99cd0f27555.jpg

The seam.

DSC_0755.jpg.185da3c9b60954bc907ddfd61c9d9193.jpg

I have modified the Unijoiners in the tracks on the edge of the traverser. I cut the two side flaps so the sliding track will easily slide in and out. I copied the trick from Kabutoni who did it with Tomix Finetrack in his layout.

• Like 5

Armed with this lot I spent 6 hrs over two days deep cleaning the layout,it was filthy but did nt notice until I started cleaning it.

F404BCF3-380B-4581-B9A6-82222F7E0BDD.thumb.jpeg.b6d964ff3f06b329be90e952be777187.jpeg

Dusted everything off with ladies make up brushes,hoovered with the mini hoover and cleaned the track with isopropanol.

wow,what a diferece😂😂👍

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I ve got the Tomix track cleaner and as good as it is I wanted something that would help clean the track permanently but without looking like a track cleaner so I found these,checked them out on YouTube and bought some.I ve fitted four and will see how they go and if they work ok I intend to fit one to a train on each loop for virtually permenant cleaning.I m not expecting to never have to clean the track,just hoping it prolongs the time in between

they just clip to the wheels on the cars,however they do nt fit to all cars or coaches as the detailing on the prevents it sitting on the track properly.04874393-070D-452E-BDC1-E9E7A43368AD.thumb.jpeg.cdb36ef38324cb342a2019b3e5c5d910.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Interesting stuff, Paul! Could you please let us know if it works well? It's a great idea, especially for me... since loading in a track cleaner means having to open the 20kg glass top ~  😛

I built one of the two access mini-modules to the traverser. The extendable track is not glued in yet. There will be two of them in this module to allow for double track operations. The traverser itself will have at least 4 tracks. There is space for 8 so it can hold almost all my rolling stock. Sorry for the horrible phone pictures.

image.png.76d5d50df08ad350680e5dcc15fb83a3.png

image.png.0172264501258413f8e69e12464eff0e.pngimage.png.8ee185d847d3983818d248631aa09e83.png

Edited by Khaul
7 hours ago, JR 500系 said:

Aaahhh I see! We're always learning something new each day!  🙂

Full disclosure: I’m not really a car expert. I  used to own one of those suckers. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
On 7/18/2018 at 12:00 PM, JR 500系 said:

Interesting stuff, Paul! Could you please let us know if it works well? It's a great idea, especially for me... since loading in a track cleaner means having to open the 20kg glass top ~  😛

Sammy,and anyone else who may be intrested,I took delivery of a fairly large box of Trains this morning and needed to swap a few freight cars around.When doing so I took a look at the four dust monkeys that I fitted five days ago,bearing in mind I d thoroughly cleaned my track as mentioned above,this is how they look today,

A01779E0-EC2F-48FD-84B0-E0763467DD91.thumb.jpeg.474b1b94f3246edefd798bba9a3b7659.jpeg

I m not sure what normal running is in terms of time but I reckon I run mine virtually every day for at least an hour,sometimes a lot more,so it seems they re doing their job.

I d also like to add that I ve had no issues whatsoever using them,no snagging or falling off,in fact,this is the first time I ve touched them Since fitting them.

Its a big thumbs up from me gents👍👍👏

the only thing,as I mentioned before is that they wo nt fit on all the coaches,freight cars are no problem,but on some of the coaches they foul on the detailing of the coach cars.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
2 hours ago, gavino200 said:

Full disclosure: I’m not really a car expert. I  used to own one of those suckers. 

Lucky so and so.

we had a normal celica back in 02,beautifull car.Glad we hav nt got it now tho,I d never get in it😂😂😂

Having spent a lot of time this week cleaning the track and the layout and organising things for the new arrivals I too the opportunity to do a video film of the Trains running using iMovie on the iPad.

Appologies for the music but it was the best of the choices👍😂

• Like 9
serotta1972

Wow, just wow!  Love all the trains running around.  Did the F7 Santa Fe sustain any front end damage, thank goodness for the buffer stops.  You did well pulling the EF30 in. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ha ha,it’s very dificult to operate the train and the iPad!!😂😂😂especially as it was my left hand on the controller,I turned it the wrong way!!😂😂

i was kinda hoping no one would notice,I should have known better!!!😂😂😂😂

thanks for the nice comments tho junior👍👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

What is the blue two-tone loco and the end of the loading dock ??

Also, funny to see the EMD passenger locos hauling freight - lol

On ‎7‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 10:41 PM, Pauljag900 said:

Sammy,and anyone else who may be intrested,I took delivery of a fairly large box of Trains this morning and needed to swap a few freight cars around.When doing so I took a look at the four dust monkeys that I fitted five days ago,bearing in mind I d thoroughly cleaned my track as mentioned above,this is how they look today,

A01779E0-EC2F-48FD-84B0-E0763467DD91.thumb.jpeg.474b1b94f3246edefd798bba9a3b7659.jpeg

I m not sure what normal running is in terms of time but I reckon I run mine virtually every day for at least an hour,sometimes a lot more,so it seems they re doing their job.

I d also like to add that I ve had no issues whatsoever using them,no snagging or falling off,in fact,this is the first time I ve touched them Since fitting them.

Its a big thumbs up from me gents👍👍👏

the only thing,as I mentioned before is that they wo nt fit on all the coaches,freight cars are no problem,but on some of the coaches they foul on the detailing of the coach cars.

Thanks mate! Seems like it works pretty well, I might want to have a look into one of those!

10 hours ago, Pauljag900 said:

Having spent a lot of time this week cleaning the track and the layout and organising things for the new arrivals I too the opportunity to do a video film of the Trains running using iMovie on the iPad.

Appologies for the music but it was the best of the choices👍😂

Excellent video! The more I look at your layout, the more I love it... That mirror really does wonders and often I thought there was another 200 series running in an opposite direction on the other side! Really nicely done!

A noob question, how did you place music in your video again? I used to make videos myself, but ever since I lost the windows movie maker on the newer computers I just couldn't find another software that was as easy and free...