What did you do on your layout today? (N scale)

bill937ca

8 hours ago, serotta1972 said:

Accident waiting to happen there IST, I can see someone backing into the tracks and getting plowed by a speeding train. But Im sure you’ll be putting up a fence or barrier along the tracks. 😀

Of course there will be something. :grin

8 hours ago, IST said:

Some photos from last week's clubday and today.
I have a corner module which was upgraded with the flowers in the recent weeks. I told you some weeks ago that I would like to correct the basement of the house on it, here is the original version:

sIMG_4319.thumb.jpg.7ed1293c91305520f006299460730466.jpg

I added a mixture of water and sand around it, tried to reshape it, and added the necessary white glue to keep the sand in place:

sIMG_4323.thumb.jpg.a6149c8470f6a0801031f098e1fdc6a4.jpg

After it dried out I used a GrassMaster to have some grass around it (and next time maybe I will color the driveway to the house).

sIMG_4343.thumb.jpg.fd1da1f6469ee0b0395bcb18b4bc9a50.jpg   sIMG_4348.thumb.jpg.bc57051a6157a9ce304976c0d5c97a92.jpg   sIMG_4349.thumb.jpg.9a093d14ccbad7f4fc4ca2e5fc9678af.jpg

I had progress with a single T-trak module also, I made the parking places in the front of the shops with the help of masking tapes. As the road was made with a Tamiya Diorama Texture Paint its surface is not so flat, so the white paint run below the masking tape therefore a friend of mine made some correction with a grey paint. The result is OK for me, from a normal distance it will be more than good and beside of this I plan to weather the road.

sIMG_4340.thumb.jpg.aca2c59afd262a5a66d1be4c54d89411.jpg   sIMG_4341.thumb.jpg.a5bb7f60df67a0b1fb32fd38b99b75ba.jpg   sIMG_4342.thumb.jpg.d88c4b33de34b9a4870c06022b08f26f.jpg

And here is how it looks like with the shops and cars (not fixed yet):

sIMG_4345.thumb.jpg.cb4cc25d1a6ae1fd7e288eb272760188.jpg   sIMG_4347.thumb.jpg.daedaa36baf5a61bf26e790ae60de8a3.jpg

Nice work there buddy,looks really good👍👍😀

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
20 hours ago, valkyriepm said:

Finished the Walther's Refinery kit, now moving to the Greenmax factory. :toothy12:

Martin

IMG_20180227_160659.jpg

IMG_20180227_160708.jpg

IMG_20180227_160753.jpg

IMG_20180227_160810.jpg

Hi Martin,

is that the kit no 933-3219. I ve been looking at that on the internet but could nt find any good pictures of it so thanks for posting here,it s on my wish list now,and like you,so is the greenmax kit👍😀😀

• Like 2
On 27/02/2018 at 5:51 PM, TCC Railroad said:

Half the cars were not damaged so I can add 4 more cars to a train. Yes, it was an expensive silver lining, but I love the train and I love the expression on people's faces when they see it. It's like "What is that?" "Is that a real train?" When I tell them how much it costs to ride the 1:1 version, their eyes glaze over and I get to talk about the train and why I decided to buy the model. Besides, I'm building a 6' module just to show off the model, so I HAD to have another one. (How's that for justification for busting model railroading budget for three months?)

Kurt

Ha ha,and it deserves it.

if it was mine I d have it on the module on the viaduct station with illumination on the kato rd plates and buildings.😂😂👍👍

On 2/26/2018 at 10:43 AM, TCC Railroad said:

What I did yesterday on my module layout at a train show in Monroe, WA was watch my brand new Shikishima Express take a 4' fall onto a concrete floor when somebody pulled it off the layout. 4 people helped me get down on the floor to find pieces of plastic and bogies. Needless to say, I am not a happy camper right now. I wrote to Hobby Search to see if they would sell me another, even though the site says limited to one per household. I explained my situation and they agreed to put a new one in the mail. If this keeps up, the model will eventually cost as much as a ride on the 1:1.

Ouch! Sorry to hear about that. How exactly did it go off the layout if you don’t mind me asking? Over 15 years of doing shows with the club layouts we have had a few spills. We are always looking for ways to prevent this sort of thing with the club layout as other folks trains are on the layout. We had a few off the end of the yard spills onto the ground either thru inattention, wrong direction thrown and trains talking a short while and too much voltage, and wrongly thrown points. We finally put a deadman pushbutton switch to power the yard so if anything does start to go sideways just letting go kills the power and errant train entering the yard will stop. A couple times cases were knocked off the yard while putting up or taking down trains.

we use to use those 2’x2’ interlocking foam floor mats around the layout for both relief of the feet and to help cushion a falling train, but they got to be too much a pain to schlep around. They did save a few.

fortunatley over the years we have had fewer and fewer disasters. Once you have seen one it does make you more careful!

jeff

5 hours ago, Pauljag900 said:

Hi Martin,

is that the kit no 933-3219. I ve been looking at that on the internet but could nt find any good pictures of it so thanks for posting here,it s on my wish list now,and like you,so is the greenmax kit👍😀😀

Hi Pauljag! Yes is that same kit. Was hard for me to find images also, so had to make a lot of research on refinerys. The railings and ladders are photo-etched replacement for the ones of the kit wich were overscaled. Let me know if you need more pics ;)

Martin

serotta1972
On 2/26/2018 at 7:43 AM, TCC Railroad said:

What I did yesterday on my module layout at a train show in Monroe, WA was watch my brand new Shikishima Express take a 4' fall onto a concrete floor when somebody pulled it off the layout. 4 people helped me get down on the floor to find pieces of plastic and bogies. Needless to say, I am not a happy camper right now. I wrote to Hobby Search to see if they would sell me another, even though the site says limited to one per household. I explained my situation and they agreed to put a new one in the mail. If this keeps up, the model will eventually cost as much as a ride on the 1:1.

Not the severity of your incident but I'm kind of embarrassed to share that I fried the motor in my Greenmax Osaka Power Loop train during our running session at the club this past weekend.  I think I've read somewhere that it's not advisable to run coreless motors in DCC layouts in DC mode, we suspected that something wasn't right as it was running slow and whining a little and eventually it just stopped.  I've run DC trains on the layout many times over and this is the first time this happened.  Oh well, lesson learned and a new motor is on order. 

• Sad 3
5 hours ago, valkyriepm said:

Hi Pauljag! Yes is that same kit. Was hard for me to find images also, so had to make a lot of research on refinerys. The railings and ladders are photo-etched replacement for the ones of the kit wich were overscaled. Let me know if you need more pics ;)

Martin

Hi Martin,

that would be great if you do nt mind buddy? And if it’s not too much trouble the size of the base please Martin?

if it s easier,as I know file size is limited on here,you can email them to me,my email is,

pauljag900@yahoo.co.uk

thanks a lot mate,really appreciate that,

regards

paul

10202440-20AA-4FB7-989C-5692E1FE380F.thumb.jpeg.ab4ace700da5ed2c6148ef4ca76d232e.jpeg

With the exception of some figures,which I need to organise,today I Finally finished the last two road plates.These two took the longest as they had the most repairs to do plus they ve got more buildings on so took 4 1/2 hours to wire up.Tomorrow I ll put them on the layout and connect them all up.

• Like 13
30 minutes ago, tavora said:

That's really nice,  should look amazing when all together. :notworthy:

Cheers buddy,I ve put them out on the layout and will attempt to connect the wires tomorrow and then take a pic.They turned out ok considering they re so badly damaged.Obviously if you look closely you can see the imperfections but just looking at them on the layout they look fine.It was a pain to do but glad I did now that they re finished.

23 hours ago, serotta1972 said:

Not the severity of your incident but I'm kind of embarrassed to share that I fried the motor in my Greenmax Osaka Power Loop train during our running session at the club this past weekend.  I think I've read somewhere that it's not advisable to run coreless motors in DCC layouts in DC mode, we suspected that something wasn't right as it was running slow and whining a little and eventually it just stopped.  I've run DC trains on the layout many times over and this is the first time this happened.  Oh well, lesson learned and a new motor is on order. 

I don't know the specifics of it but coreless motors are a no-no on DC DCC. The constant high voltage is too much for them and they overheat and burn themselves out. I was glad to learn this BEFORE I put my Skytree Train on the DCC track. 

• Like 1

8D29AD7F-966F-4FE2-A732-B0A62ED835CF.thumb.jpeg.cffc512d8be2721e110dfe2dc1f61bed.jpeg

I braved the weather and fitted and connected up tne rd plates.

Next step is to re configure the station platforms.They need re arranging and new lights fitting to them,on the bright side they re no where near as bad as the rd plates were 😀😀👍

• Like 11

So I fianlly tried the new ikea legs under the JRM layout 3.0 support structure. I put M8 threaded inserts into the girders for the ikea legs hoping it would be stable enough as would give us much more storage space under the layout and smaller stuff to transport for the legs that the centipede supports. Also easier to move the layout some on legs as opposed to the centipede which once in place don’t like to move (but that’s what makes them sooo stable!).

unfortunarle there is a bit too much wobble with the legs and our interlocking girders and joists. They were designed to rest on a very stable platform of the centipede and not take any of the lateral stress. It was a good shot, but oh well.

the system with the centipedes goes up in like 5 minutes with just one person! Very easy as you can lay things out on the centipedes and just pop it together! Just as we planned. I’ll finish the leveling bolts that will fit into the top of the centipede top ends to give us 4” of leveling room for the street shows.

cheers

jeff

46FACAA3-20BE-4D89-9D74-58E2161990CD.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
7 hours ago, cteno4 said:

So I fianlly tried the new ikea legs under the JRM layout 3.0 support structure.

So the trackplans are still a secret?

• Haha 2

No secret, just have not had the time to write something up for the club website on all that first. Lots to do to get this ready for the sakura Matsuri.

jeff

• Like 1

Finished scraping the last of the muck off the recycled base board for my Hakone Tozan layout (and bought two more EMU’s for it).

• Like 1
On 2/26/2018 at 12:33 AM, Pauljag900 said:

Hi Tim,

I know this is super late, but I think I found where the confusion came from, since my name is Tim, and we were just talking a few days before. Thanks for the help as always, Paul (It's convenient that your name is in your username!) 

On 3/2/2018 at 1:34 PM, Pauljag900 said:

8D29AD7F-966F-4FE2-A732-B0A62ED835CF.thumb.jpeg.cffc512d8be2721e110dfe2dc1f61bed.jpeg

This looks SO good! I was wondering, how did you wire up the Kato Diotown Shops with lights? I just finished putting stickers on those and wanted to dabble in interior lights, but I'm thinking I'll have to drill a hole for the wire in the bottom of the shop. Is that what you did?