What did you do on your layout today? (N scale)

bill937ca

6 minutes ago, chadbag said:

I think that gold car in the middle of the scene is going the wrong way up the street...

Yes it is,thank you,luckily they are nt glued yet,just placed on foe effect😂😂😂

It looks like they're street racing.  You'll have to get some police from gavino to keep the city safe from these dangerous hashiriya!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Finished wiring everything up and will replace all the broken detail parts and connect it up to the power supply later on todayB72405BA-15DA-4BDD-9851-5A6EB16B727A.thumb.jpeg.ded9f8826efab91d071ff962bfc898eb.jpeg

• Like 8

Finished the repairs and tidying up of 4 of the 6 plates,the two furthest to to the left need to be on the layout as I ve got height restrictions with a bridge which runs across at an angle so dificult to know it’s exact position so tomorrow I ll take them all out and try them in place then bring the last 2 back inside to finish off.But I m guessing it ll look something like this.

3AD27521-BE2A-427F-936E-4D51A71E6187.thumb.jpeg.13ce3ccdbdbef116f5fb9cc3e1b5cde7.jpeg

• Like 10
3 hours ago, Pauljag900 said:

Finished the repairs and tidying up of 4 of the 6 plates,the two furthest to to the left need to be on the layout as I ve got height restrictions with a bridge which runs across at an angle so dificult to know it’s exact position so tomorrow I ll take them all out and try them in place then bring the last 2 back inside to finish off.But I m guessing it ll look something like this.

Looks very nice but, it seems very bright. Or is it maybe just the picture?

It could be the picture, tho it is quite bright,they re bright white LEDs and a modern city area look has s what I was after.

i have actually used these plates before and I ve used the same no of lights,just replaced old with new and they were ok so I ll have to see what they look like outside on the layout.

• Like 1

That looks awesome paul!  Nice work.  Did you paint the buildings yourself?  Do the outland buildings match the spacing for the buildings on the kato road plates?

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Kiha66 said:

That looks awesome paul!  Nice work.  Did you paint the buildings yourself?  Do the outland buildings match the spacing for the buildings on the kato road plates?

Hi Tim,

how was it Saturday? Did you get any nice pics?

the Outland models are good value for money mate but they are the basic four walls,roof and base.As for the size,I m not sure if you know but on the normal rd plates the beige area for buildings is 82mm to take Kato buildings but on the station road plates the beige bit that goes up against the station is only 50mm so you re limited to what you can fit on them.The Outland models do quite a few that are 50mm so they re ideal.So to answer your question mate,yes they fit but for the length you would have to work it out so they fit,you can always put a flower bed or something in any small gaps,

hope this helps mate,

paul

no i did nt paint them mate they came pre coloured

Edited by Pauljag900
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Paul!  I'm planing to order a few to fill up the city module when the time comes,  The lights look spectacular and adding details will be a good way to distract me from ordering more trains.

Just now, Kiha66 said:

Thanks Paul!  I'm planing to order a few to fill up the city module when the time comes,  The lights look spectacular and adding details will be a good way to distract me from ordering more trains.

Just now, Kiha66 said:

Hi SAM, 

no idea why I called you tim😂😂😂😂ha ha too early in the morning mate brain not working yet

let me know if you want the links to the buildings or lights mate and I ll email them to you, just be careful on the lights buddy as there s a big price diference in them depending where you get them from

paul

No worries!  I have a teacher that is convinced my name is Adam, even after working with them for over three years!  I actually got a reel of the lights to use in the buildings already, and then a bulk pack of led's from china.  They can be very cheap if you dont mind the wait for shipping.  

12 minutes ago, Kiha66 said:

No worries!  I have a teacher that is convinced my name is Adam, even after working with them for over three years!  I actually got a reel of the lights to use in the buildings already, and then a bulk pack of led's from china.  They can be very cheap if you dont mind the wait for shipping.  

Hi sam,

ok mate nice one,unless I need something in a hurry then all my lights come from China mate.

It s obvious you know what you re doing and not wanting to insult your intelligence here but just be mindful of the voltage buddy, most of the LEDs for buildings are  12v but most of the street lights are 3v,so you’ll need to either fit resisters or use a seperate supply.

paul

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Pauljag900 said:

Hi sam,

ok mate nice one,unless I need something in a hurry then all my lights come from China mate.

It s obvious you know what you re doing and not wanting to insult your intelligence here but just be mindful of the voltage buddy, most of the LEDs for buildings are  12v but most of the street lights are 3v,so you’ll need to either fit resisters or use a seperate supply.

paul

Thanks paul!  You can never be too careful, Its good to be reminded about the small things.  I know I forget them often enough!

• Haha 1
5 hours ago, Kiha66 said:

Thanks paul!  You can never be too careful, Its good to be reminded about the small things.  I know I forget them often enough!

Hi Sam,

i m the same mate,I connected 10 street lights up on the tram layout and connected them to the 12v by mistake,bang,blew the lot and had to re do them,ha ha,but that’s how we learn.As I use red/ black two core cable for everything I now put a piece of yellow heat shrink on the end that’s being connected to the power supply,yellow for 3v,blue for 6v and nothing for the 12v.

sometimes the resistors can get quite warm and they re a bit fiddly so now I just use a seperate supply like this,

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F381256616144

Cheap enough from china mate and a 1amp supply will power about 50 LEDs at 20ma,assuming that’s what they are but most seem to be that,personally I keep it to 40 leds per amp to be safe.

pity you were nt a bit closer buddy I ve got about 3 spare ones,I bought 5 last year for £1.99 each!!

paul

Edited by Pauljag900
  • Thanks 1

What I did yesterday on my module layout at a train show in Monroe, WA was watch my brand new Shikishima Express take a 4' fall onto a concrete floor when somebody pulled it off the layout. 4 people helped me get down on the floor to find pieces of plastic and bogies. Needless to say, I am not a happy camper right now. I wrote to Hobby Search to see if they would sell me another, even though the site says limited to one per household. I explained my situation and they agreed to put a new one in the mail. If this keeps up, the model will eventually cost as much as a ride on the 1:1.

• Sad 7
27 minutes ago, TCC Railroad said:

What I did yesterday on my module layout at a train show in Monroe, WA was watch my brand new Shikishima Express take a 4' fall onto a concrete floor when somebody pulled it off the layout. 4 people helped me get down on the floor to find pieces of plastic and bogies. Needless to say, I am not a happy camper right now. I wrote to Hobby Search to see if they would sell me another, even though the site says limited to one per household. I explained my situation and they agreed to put a new one in the mail. If this keeps up, the model will eventually cost as much as a ride on the 1:1.

Oh no!!😡you must have been devastated buddy,did you get all the pieces and more importantly have you managed to re assemble it and get it running ok? Gutted for you mate,I have two grandsons and I have to watch them like hawks,the temptation to grab is all to normal,especially in youngsters.Last year the youngest one grabbed my narita express,luckily,if that’s possible,he grabbed it and did nt drop it but I was very lucky.

So today I placed the rd plates in position, now I know where the height restriction is I can finish the last two plates before fixing in position and wiring them up.

Damm it was cold out there.

491CDBB5-B0EA-46A0-AF9A-118B5D4950A5.thumb.jpeg.49c0935886549e553354c9d2694ccc97.jpeg

• Like 8
12 hours ago, TCC Railroad said:

If it's any consolation at the last show I went to one of the members of the club I'm in was getting a car out of one of those cardboard and foam storage cases when the whole thing slipped and fell on the floor. It was full of loaded flatcars (mostly WWII tanks/trucks) and troop cars, all that Saturday and all Sunday we were finding grab irons and bits on the floor. Upside is if the motor ever goes in it you have a replacement...

• Like 1
23 hours ago, Pauljag900 said:

Oh no!!😡you must have been devastated buddy,did you get all the pieces and more importantly have you managed to re assemble it and get it running ok? Gutted for you mate,I have two grandsons and I have to watch them like hawks,the temptation to grab is all to normal,especially in youngsters.Last year the youngest one grabbed my narita express,luckily,if that’s possible,he grabbed it and did nt drop it but I was very lucky.

I don't know if I got all the pieces or not. Putting it back together is going to be tough. I was able to contact HobbySearch, and, after describing my loss, they agreed to sell me another one even though their policy was one per household. At least now I have a parts bin...(looking for the silver lining here).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
12 minutes ago, TCC Railroad said:

I don't know if I got all the pieces or not. Putting it back together is going to be tough. I was able to contact HobbySearch, and, after describing my loss, they agreed to sell me another one even though their policy was one per household. At least now I have a parts bin...(looking for the silver lining here).

I feel like saying sorry for your loss here,but I guess we need to keep things in perspective ha ha😂😂👍Although At a cost, you managed to get it replaced,pretty good of hs I guess.

it s a pretty expensive silver lining tho buddy,as you say you ve got spares now and as someone else pointed out,a spare motor unit.

Not sure how prototypical it would be but you could always use the spare coaches and make it a larger consist? It’s a fantastic looking train anyway but would look unbelievable longer.

2 hours ago, Pauljag900 said:

I feel like saying sorry for your loss here,but I guess we need to keep things in perspective ha ha😂😂👍Although At a cost, you managed to get it replaced,pretty good of hs I guess.

it s a pretty expensive silver lining tho buddy,as you say you ve got spares now and as someone else pointed out,a spare motor unit.

Not sure how prototypical it would be but you could always use the spare coaches and make it a larger consist? It’s a fantastic looking train anyway but would look unbelievable longer.

Half the cars were not damaged so I can add 4 more cars to a train. Yes, it was an expensive silver lining, but I love the train and I love the expression on people's faces when they see it. It's like "What is that?" "Is that a real train?" When I tell them how much it costs to ride the 1:1 version, their eyes glaze over and I get to talk about the train and why I decided to buy the model. Besides, I'm building a 6' module just to show off the model, so I HAD to have another one. (How's that for justification for busting model railroading budget for three months?)

Kurt

Edited by TCC Railroad
grammar error
  • Haha 1
23 minutes ago, TCC Railroad said:

Half the cars were not damaged so I can add 4 more cars to a train. Yes, it was an expensive silver lining, but I love the train and I love the expression on people's faces when they see it. It's like "What is that?" "Is that a real train?" When I tell them how much it costs to ride the 1:1 version, their eyes glaze over and I get to talk about the train and why I decided to buy the model. Besides, I'm building a 6' module just to show off the model, so I HAD to have another one. (How's that for justification for busting model railroading budget for three months?)

Kurt

Hey Kurt,

i doubt there s anyone on here that would be any diferent.What starts as a hobby very quickly becomes an obsession.

we re all the same deep down,but what else we gonna spend it on?😂😂👍👍👍

i ve got to admit I was slightly put off at first by the price tag and was a bit confused as to what all the fuss was about.

then it started to appear in posts on here and I. Videos on YouTube,I then realised exactly why it caused such stir and was a bit pricey,by comparison it was nt that expensive.It certainly is a lovely train model and one day I ll probably end up with one.

Edited by Pauljag900

Some photos from last week's clubday and today.
I have a corner module which was upgraded with the flowers in the recent weeks. I told you some weeks ago that I would like to correct the basement of the house on it, here is the original version:

sIMG_4319.thumb.jpg.7ed1293c91305520f006299460730466.jpg

I added a mixture of water and sand around it, tried to reshape it, and added the necessary white glue to keep the sand in place:

sIMG_4323.thumb.jpg.a6149c8470f6a0801031f098e1fdc6a4.jpg

After it dried out I used a GrassMaster to have some grass around it (and next time maybe I will color the driveway to the house).

sIMG_4343.thumb.jpg.fd1da1f6469ee0b0395bcb18b4bc9a50.jpg   sIMG_4348.thumb.jpg.bc57051a6157a9ce304976c0d5c97a92.jpg   sIMG_4349.thumb.jpg.9a093d14ccbad7f4fc4ca2e5fc9678af.jpg

I had progress with a single T-trak module also, I made the parking places in the front of the shops with the help of masking tapes. As the road was made with a Tamiya Diorama Texture Paint its surface is not so flat, so the white paint run below the masking tape therefore a friend of mine made some correction with a grey paint. The result is OK for me, from a normal distance it will be more than good and beside of this I plan to weather the road.

sIMG_4340.thumb.jpg.aca2c59afd262a5a66d1be4c54d89411.jpg   sIMG_4341.thumb.jpg.a5bb7f60df67a0b1fb32fd38b99b75ba.jpg   sIMG_4342.thumb.jpg.d88c4b33de34b9a4870c06022b08f26f.jpg

And here is how it looks like with the shops and cars (not fixed yet):

sIMG_4345.thumb.jpg.cb4cc25d1a6ae1fd7e288eb272760188.jpg   sIMG_4347.thumb.jpg.daedaa36baf5a61bf26e790ae60de8a3.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Accident waiting to happen there IST, I can see someone backing into the tracks and getting plowed by a speeding train. But Im sure you’ll be putting up a fence or barrier along the tracks. 😀

• Haha 1