What did you do on your layout today? (N scale)

bill937ca

Thanks for the tip paul!  It sounds like they are pretty well liked so I'll bite the bullet and order a set.  Kato prices seem reasonable till you realize how many buildings and accessories you have to order!

And for what it’s worth imho that station you both have is crying out for the road plates,they will look superb on o module in front of that.

Sam,

One of my options was to make my own usin the Busch adhesive roadway but to make something similar in style to the kato places would cost me £46 with delivery,the rd plates are £50, Altho the Busch stuff is top quality it wo nt look as good as the kato stuff.

• Thanks 1
9 hours ago, Kiha66 said:

Awesome work Junior!  I have a loop set of the plate track coming in the mail an I plan to have two triple length modules with the plate station and plate roads with a city scene (the top half of the plan above with another station platform section added to bring it up to full legenth), and then another two modules with the plate track and a rural farm land scene.  Maybe we can have our own setup at the Hiller Museum show! 

Let's start our own little T-Trak group, we can use my office on weekends to set up.  I will be getting some more modules in the next few weeks.  The Hiller Show is in about a month, we can shoot for next year. :)

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Pauljag900 said:

FB390993-2770-4046-B510-F0A5E97E08DF.thumb.jpeg.e144e125c2853f9ffd384f0de0906f35.jpeg gents,

Morning, Paul! (At least it's morning here...) Your layout looks so good! The road plates are a great addition. Do you happen to have any more close up pics of the road plates with the accessories on them? If not, that's fine, I know you're in the middle of rebuilding your layout. But I could definitely use it as a helpful guide. That picture is super useful already! 

11 minutes ago, tt0880 said:

Send me your email and I ll send you as many as I ve got buddy,I can t post them here because of the restriction on file size,my email is

pauljag900@yahoo.co.uk

👍👍

1 minute ago, Pauljag900 said:

Send me your email and I ll send you as many as I ve got buddy,I can t post them here because of the restriction on file size,my email is

pauljag900@yahoo.co.uk

Sent you an email :)

Thanks a ton! 

Gents,

The other issue I forgot to mention this morning is that be carefull when you re putting the accessories into the holes on the plates,they re really tight going in and if you need to remove anything coz you ve put it in the wrong place then it will more than likely snap at the base,very easy to put things in the wrong place,as you said this morning the instructions are nt very clear.

A little tip,which is what I did 2nd time around,is that I opened the holes up very slightly then when they were finished and I knew they were right I glued everything into the holes,bit fiddly but nothing got broken.

• Thanks 1

WOW Paul buddy seriously, your layout rocks! Makes me really guilty of not working harder on mine... those lights really makes the city alive! 

• Like 1
20 hours ago, Pauljag900 said:

MorningFB390993-2770-4046-B510-F0A5E97E08DF.thumb.jpeg.e144e125c2853f9ffd384f0de0906f35.jpeg gents,

i m a big fan of the road plates and was talking yesterday ti serotta about them,mine are quite badly damaged after some issues with them bucklingcand having been moved 3 times.my options are to replace them,repair them or do my own thing,I m going to attempt to repair them but if not I ll buy new.

just a word of warning,be aware that if exposed to heat they expand quite a lot and will buckle if fastened down with glue.If you need to fix them in place I would suggest a flexible adhesive that will stretch with them,like silicone or similar or even blue tac will hold them as they re not very heavy

Holy shite!!! That looks amazing!! I'm loving all the LEDs.

• Like 1

Yeah, I was pretty floored by Paul's setup, too. You should see all the pictures he sent me... Unreal! 

Paul, even with your new layout going, it is definitely an inspiration to me! I dream to have a layout like that someday!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, tt0880 said:

Yeah, I was pretty floored by Paul's setup, too. You should see all the pictures he sent me... Unreal! 

Paul, even with your new layout going, it is definitely an inspiration to me! I dream to have a layout like that someday!

And one day you will Tim,it does nt happen overnight buddy but you ll get the layout you want one day,no doubt.👍👍

Thank you for the kind words gents.It was nt always like that,I ve made some horrendous mistakes with various things but that’s how we learn and joining this forum has been priceless!! There s some really nice,knowledgeable people on here who are only too happy to help us,without them I d have been stumped.

in the beginning my priority was always to have a nice layout to look at,I was always more into modelling than Trains,but the accidental discovery of the  Nozomi500 on YouTube and serotta 1972 on here changed all that ha ha. He s my no one supplier and has become a very good friend,along with others ha ha, 😀😀👍I have some slight mobility issues which I m hoping will be sorted soon,but 

i m not getting any younger and I ve now collected  about 30 Trains in total.I have no specific type or region,I buy them because I like how they look.My priorities now are more about seeing and displaying my Trains whilst making the layout easy to maintain.I know the way I’ve constructed the base boards is a bit unconventional but I can now do all the wiring etc from the top,no more disconnecting tracks to tip it up or having to lie underneath plus for the cleaning I can now reach all the tracks easily and with all the sidings I can display all my trains on the layout.They may just be boring loops but they suit my needs and wants plus I tend to forget the loops when all 8 trains are running at the same time.There will be some scenics on it,just not as much as before.

thanks gents,really appreciate the comments👍👍😀

Edited by Pauljag900
  • Like 3
29 minutes ago, nah00 said:

Nothing wrong with loops, heck all the Yamanote line is is a big circle!

Ha ha,cheers buddy,well I wanted to see all the trains all the way around and now I can👍👍😀

On 2/19/2018 at 12:01 PM, Pauljag900 said:

A little tip,which is what I did 2nd time around,is that I opened the holes up very slightly then when they were finished and I knew they were right I glued everything into the holes,bit fiddly but nothing got broken.

Thanks a ton for this tip, Paul, and I want to second it!! I snapped a few little pieces trying to force them in and I learned just putting in a hobby knife and turning it in a circle once is enough to get everything in there well. With adding glue, things worked perfectly.

I spent all of last night putting in the accessories for the road plates and I'm super happy with how it's turning out.

IMG_20180221_221442366.thumb.jpg.39fe22d5326837ab525063cc77d1b01a.jpg

Included in the team is my favorite beverage from Japan - Milk Tea! When I was in Japan I drank like two bottles a day... There's only one Japanese Market that I know of in Michigan that sells it and it's like an hour and a half away, but I had to visit recently to get it. I definitely felt very Japanese working on it! 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Had a go at repairing the first two rd plates today,I ve replaced the working st lights with new ones,placed cars and buses over the holes and put people over the worst areas of the pavement.Tomorrow I ll tip them and connect all the wires up and then drill out and replace the rd signs,traffic lights and telegraph poles.

2937CA7D-80AE-4534-AB98-C01233AC2000.thumb.jpeg.acecd0fbf0407a6868758a2fb08d4707.jpeg

• Like 3
Had a go at repairing the first two rd plates today,I ve replaced the working st lights with new ones,placed cars and buses over the holes and put people over the worst areas of the pavement.Tomorrow I ll tip them and connect all the wires up and then drill out and replace the rd signs,traffic lights and telegraph poles.

2937CA7D-80AE-4534-AB98-C01233AC2000.thumb.jpeg.acecd0fbf0407a6868758a2fb08d4707.jpeg

Which building is the lowest one?
41 minutes ago, Pauljag900 said:

I think that gold car in the middle of the scene is going the wrong way up the street...

• Haha 5