What did you do on your layout today? (N scale)

bill937ca

15 hours ago, Eurostar25 said:

The clothes line looks brilliant Beaka, hopefully those log wagons run well too!

Cheers Eurostar. A bit of fine tuning required initially with the dreaded brake lever mech near bogies, but good now. Just applied some weathering to hide the shiny glue spots,etc. 

20180214_133404.jpg

20180214_133412.jpg

20180214_133421.jpg

• Like 7
7 hours ago, Pauljag900 said:

After five months of being boxed away it was finally time to track test the new layout.

They took a bit of getting going,a combination of being stored away,dirty track and cold weather!!

Few lumps and bumps to iron out and a couple of viaduct track pieces needed.

next step will be to level everything out,fix the support piers and track down to the base to give it some stability,then it ll be on to finishing the sidings/ display area.

oh wow! Paul that is really nice! i love the double height viaduct for the bullet train, looks really nice! can i ask what you use as the pillars?

27 minutes ago, beakaboy said:

Cheers Eurostar. A bit of fine tuning required initially with the dreaded brake lever mech near bogies, but good now. Just applied some weathering to hide the shiny glue spots,etc. 

20180214_133404.jpg

wow that is so cool! i bet no one can beat the realism of your logs! Great idea to use twigs as logs! 

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, JR 500系 said:

oh wow! Paul that is really nice! i love the double height viaduct for the bullet train, looks really nice! can i ask what you use as the pillars?

Hi Sammy,

i used 1” polystyrene on the bottom which will be blended in with ground cover then used two standard supports glued together.

On 2/13/2018 at 9:54 AM, Pauljag900 said:

After five months of being boxed away it was finally time to track test the new layout.

They took a bit of getting going,a combination of being stored away,dirty track and cold weather!!

Few lumps and bumps to iron out and a couple of viaduct track pieces needed.

next step will be to level everything out,fix the support piers and track down to the base to give it some stability,then it ll be on to finishing the sidings/ display area.

CCC80C51-3929-40FA-B0F4-E63E79E9F39D.jpeg

There goes Paul making me feel like a darn slacker again. 😀 All I can manage at most are 2 basic oval loops and he has 10 including the trams and has 3 levels. This is where I send my surplus trains to run and I think they’re much happier. Good stuff Paul!

• Haha 1
On 14/02/2018 at 1:05 AM, JR 500系 said:

Hi Sammy,

i used 1” polystyrene on the bottom which will be blended in with ground cover then used two standard supports glued together.

4BD3E89D-7A6B-468A-A4D0-53099F3D845C.thumb.jpeg.c6716d587846432f568cde7a0585ecfd.jpeg

I set the points out for the sidings/ display area today,need 15 long straights which I managed to get along with the double viaduct piece I need to finish the trackwork.Got the lot  pre owned for £15 including postage.I just need 3 crossovers now which I ll get in due course.

the grey foam will be cut down the middle of the two rows of points,pulled back then I ll dig out a one centimetre wide x 3 centimetre deep trench to bury them in,then fold the foam back down over the top.Time to see if this method is going to work.

got a total of 15 sidings on ground level and six on the station area,a total of 29 Trains inc the 8 running,tho I m guessing some of the sidings will be long enough to take more than one train.

• Like 7

Hey you two,have fun tomorrow,can t tell you how gutted I am that I m so far away😞😞😞

do nt forget some nice pics👍👍😀

Edited by Pauljag900

There's been some rezoning going on today in Layoutland. An old industrial area becomes gentrified. A housing estate springs up next to the site of a proposed tram link to the city. 

These residents must be expats, as you can tell from the decidedly American look of the architecture. Rumour has it the whole area will soon be razed and replaced with residential blocks and condos. Shhh! Don't tell them.

7EsOeu3.jpg

Specific attractions are the dogpark and the kids playground.

czqjRS4.jpg

Meanwhile, close by, a new container depot opens.

y9oKCp5.jpg

Before long, Yakuza types and other na'er-do-wells take a foothold there.

PTsnSLn.jpg

Some say they're planning a certain job in Italy.

tp8Qwj5.jpg

Edited by gavino200
  • Like 7
16 minutes ago, serotta1972 said:

Nice scenes Gavino200! Man, even model train towns are susceptible to gentrification. :)

Just keepin' it real.  :)

Edited by gavino200
  • Haha 1

Goodness gracious, the layout envy is strong in me... Excellent work, everybody! All of your scenes look incredibly realistic and I can't wait to get there someday.

As far as me, I'm working on putting in the accessories for my station area road plates. A bit confusing, though, as there aren't many pictures to go off of and the instructions are all in Japanese :) Has anyone here put in the accessories and have a picture to share? That would help me out a lot.

How are the station area road plates?  I've been thinking of making a T track module with the double plate track station, and the road plates.  Would you recommend them?  I'd like to make the top half of this plan as it perfectly fits two triple modules, but I've been having trouble finding the buildings and I've hesitated on ordering the road plates.

0945__09.thumb.jpg.b53c27bec3fcf948a67a258fa659960e.jpg

• Like 2
6 hours ago, gavino200 said:

Specific attractions are the dogpark and the kids playground.

czqjRS4.jpg

Wow i like that kids playground! Does it comes in a kit? the colors and the cones are very nice for a kids playground!

21 minutes ago, Kiha66 said:

How are the station area road plates?  I've been thinking of making a T track module with the double plate track station, and the road plates.  Would you recommend them?  I'd like to make the top half of this plan as it perfectly fits two triple modules, but I've been having trouble finding the buildings and I've hesitated on ordering the road plates.

The station area road plates are definitely good overall, you just have to make sure you know what you're getting with them. Here are some pictures I just took as I put on the accessories.

IMG_20180218_215147557_LL.thumb.jpg.e61b1bf0376ed18e9dd2de955fe2d5f5.jpgIMG_20180218_215118670_LL.thumb.jpg.c79dfccc499049c17ec86b4fc9773eb1.jpgIMG_20180218_215101710_LL.thumb.jpg.7bba121ff1fa2af53686d8cc4a84a452.jpg

As you'll notice, they're DEFINITELY not compatible with the Unitram roadplates. Also, they have a lot of that ugly tan space that I'm going to have to do something with. And lastly, they are pretty flimsily held together, but that's nothing a little glue can't fix.

For a T-Trak layout, that sounds phenomenal. I think the station looks a lot better with that context, especially with a plaza area out front and bus stations/taxi stations. If you do end up doing it, please post pictures :) Or if you have any ideas of how to fill that tan space or to integrate them more with the Unitram plates! 

• Like 3
14 minutes ago, gavino200 said:

I got it years ago off ebay. It came assembled. Here it is on AliExpress

Thanks! now to start finding some real estate space to place this on....  

30 minutes ago, JR 500系 said:

Thanks! now to start finding some real estate space to place this on....  

Yes. That can be a problem. I'm looking to expand the playground btw, so if you see anything "same-same-but-different" let me know.

Edited by gavino200

Beware the current playgrounds similar to this one on ebay are a bit overscale even though they say 1/150-1/200 they are more like 1/100.

jeff

• Like 1
1 hour ago, tt0880 said:

The station area road plates are definitely good overall, you just have to make sure you know what you're getting with them. Here are some pictures I just took as I put on the accessories.

As you'll notice, they're DEFINITELY not compatible with the Unitram roadplates. Also, they have a lot of that ugly tan space that I'm going to have to do something with. And lastly, they are pretty flimsily held together, but that's nothing a little glue can't fix.

For a T-Trak layout, that sounds phenomenal. I think the station looks a lot better with that context, especially with a plaza area out front and bus stations/taxi stations. If you do end up doing it, please post pictures :) Or if you have any ideas of how to fill that tan space or to integrate them more with the Unitram plates! 

Wow, thanks for sharing those pictures!  The tan space fits kato diotown buildings, I believe the tan space is designed for 81mm squares (a third of the length of a kato long straight, which is the standard the road plates are made to) , although some of the buildings are slightly wider or shorter but add up to 81 eventually.  I found a kato page that gives the dimensions of each building that can help for figuring out what buildings fill each space.  The plates that directly touch the station have slightly thinner and are designed for the kato station structures set or the Town shops buildings which come with detachable sidewalks to have them either match the 81mm standard tan space, or they can be removed to match the thinner station plate distance.

http://www.katomodels.com/unitram/product_diotown.shtml

4 hours ago, Kiha66 said:

0945__09.thumb.jpg.b53c27bec3fcf948a67a258fa659960e.jpg

Hey Sam,  I was thinking the same thing since I have a bunch of them and then placing buildings and other scenery items on 3mm plates.

LkkbC%zDTdG6aXJzulv%wA.jpg

Edited by serotta1972
missing word
  • Thanks 2

Awesome work Junior!  I have a loop set of the plate track coming in the mail an I plan to have two triple length modules with the plate station and plate roads with a city scene (the top half of the plan above with another station platform section added to bring it up to full legenth), and then another two modules with the plate track and a rural farm land scene.  Maybe we can have our own setup at the Hiller Museum show! 

MorningFB390993-2770-4046-B510-F0A5E97E08DF.thumb.jpeg.e144e125c2853f9ffd384f0de0906f35.jpeg gents,

i m a big fan of the road plates and was talking yesterday ti serotta about them,mine are quite badly damaged after some issues with them bucklingcand having been moved 3 times.my options are to replace them,repair them or do my own thing,I m going to attempt to repair them but if not I ll buy new.

just a word of warning,be aware that if exposed to heat they expand quite a lot and will buckle if fastened down with glue.If you need to fix them in place I would suggest a flexible adhesive that will stretch with them,like silicone or similar or even blue tac will hold them as they re not very heavy

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3