What did you do on your layout today? (N scale)

bill937ca

25 minutes ago, railsquid said:

Before:

Dapol BR Class 27 D5381 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

After:

class-27-cutting by Rail Squid, on Flickr

You added lights to the number sign? Nice.

It's funny you should post this. I was close to buying one of these a few days ago (in blue/yellow BR colors). I'm build to build a little BR passenger train, until I eventually build up the skill to convert it into an Irish 1980s CIE train. 

How does that loco run? Speed, strenght, pulling/climbing power? Anything you could tell me would be great. I have zero experience with Dapol.

Edited by gavino200
14 minutes ago, gavino200 said:

You added lights to the number sign? Nice.

No, they were there all along, it's the background wot changed a bit.

It's funny you should post this. I was close to buying one of these a few days ago (in blue/yellow BR colors). I'm build to build a little BR passenger train, until I eventually build up the skill to convert it into an Irish 1980s CIE train. 

How does that loco run? Speed, strenght, pulling/climbing power? Anything you could tell me would be great. I have zero experience with Dapol.

This one is a nice little runner, responds well at low speeds. Doesn't run very fast but then neither did the protoype. A little growly but that's typical of Dapol diesels. Haulage-wise I think it passed my test of 5 Mk1 coaches up my incline; note modern N gauge British diesel/electric locomotives (both Dapol and Farish don't have traction tyres).

The main problem with Dapol is that the lighting circuits are prone to failure. Had a brand-new Class 33 (big brother of this) which literally went up in smoke, had to send it back for a replacement. I've had better luck with 2nd hand models from reliable vendors (mainly Hattons).

4 minutes ago, railsquid said:

No, they were there all along, it's the background wot changed a bit.

This one is a nice little runner, responds well at low speeds. Doesn't run very fast but then neither did the protoype. A little growly but that's typical of Dapol diesels. Haulage-wise I think it passed my test of 5 Mk1 coaches up my incline; note modern N gauge British diesel/electric locomotives (both Dapol and Farish don't have traction tyres).

The main problem with Dapol is that the lighting circuits are prone to failure. Had a brand-new Class 33 (big brother of this) which literally went up in smoke, had to send it back for a replacement. I've had better luck with 2nd hand models from reliable vendors (mainly Hattons).

Ah, yes. The shrubbery! Very nice. I was totally focused on the loco.

Thanks for the review. I have been checking out Hattons. A second hand loco might be a smart way to go. After all, I may ruin it when I try covering it with black and orange paint.

21 minutes ago, gavino200 said:

Thanks for the review. I have been checking out Hattons. A second hand loco might be a smart way to go. After all, I may ruin it when I try covering it with black and orange paint.

For your purposes you might want to check out DCC Supplies, who are the official repair people for Dapol, they often have useful bits and bobs on sale, including bodyshells, albeit not 26/27 ones at the moment.

https://www.dccsupplies.com/cat-811/bodyshells-n.htm

Somewhere on the site they also sell off reject locos.

• Thanks 1

If you re anything like me jeff then I guess you re more annoyed with yourself than anything else for having done it ,still,no harm done mate 👍

5 minutes ago, Suica said:

This weekend we set up a temporary 10 m² layout again.

That's amazing!! I love that you have it running through your living room. What kind of tables are those?

11 minutes ago, Suica said:

Very cool! So wish I could participate in stuff like this!

Edited by Yavianice
2 minutes ago, gavino200 said:

That's amazing!! I love that you have it running through your living room. What kind of tables are those?

Unfortunately my own living room isn't anywhere near this size. We set it up over at a friend's.

Most of those tables were bought at a DIY market many years ago. A few were later selfmade to fit them.

They're very simple. A tabletop and four legs, attached with bolts and wing nuts.

DVgy8eHWAAEt1t6.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

I finally wired up all my junctions. I was toying with the idea of building a fancy switch control. But I just used my old Kato switches. I need to set aside the technical stuff for a while and focus a bit on modelling instead.

I also, cleaned the tracks, vacuumed everything, and filled in a years worth of holes. Nothing glamorous, but a productive day.

I need to hide the power wire and put some kind of wrap around the big wire jumble.

6UCY0Hk.jpg

This is just a few of the holes. There were a ton.

uBjCVvQ.jpg

Edited by gavino200
  • Like 4

Strangely enough I spent almost two days doing the same thing,well wiring anyway,I was doing the control table and track feeds.

will post some pics and a video later.

Edited by Pauljag900
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Suica said:

DVqswhsW4AEcfHN.thumb.jpg.75df5f1c8725c4b7db2133c8015a38b8.jpg

Holy wow, that is very cool!  How long did it take you guys to put it all together.  Did you supply all the trains Suica? 

45 minutes ago, serotta1972 said:

Holy wow, that is very cool!  How long did it take you guys to put it all together.  Did you supply all the trains Suica? 

Nah, everyone brought something to run.

It took us two days to set up.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Suica said:

Nah, everyone brought something to run.

It took us two days to set up.

How long are you going to leave it up? I showed it to my wife as an example of what we could do here? We already have the house half covered with HO and Lego trains. So far she's not into it.

• Haha 1
8 hours ago, gavino200 said:

How long are you going to leave it up? I showed it to my wife as an example of what we could do here? We already have the house half covered with HO and Lego trains. So far she's not into it.

It's usually two days of setting up and two days of running trains.

7 hours ago, cteno4 said:

Was this with the IGnippoN gang?

Yup!

Hi All!

The tunnel T-trak has got a small road to the trakside and applicated a street light and prepared the holes to the building lights, and because yesterday i was a bright mood i made street lights to Shin-Kawasaki too :)

I put an update about Shin-Kawasaki in the hungarian club page:  http://www.jnsforum.com/community/topic/8255-hungarian-japanese-model-train-club/?page=10

IMGtunnel.thumb.jpg.9ab7325ab99db4df6bd62d386e133d4d.jpg5a81d97c51b6f_IMG_tunnel2.thumb.jpg.ff3e70fc2775ce815b643fab07bd241e.jpg5a81d97e035ed_IMG_tunnellights.thumb.jpg.8e1df2dbc343042b0c5ae25f4293b3af.jpg5a81da36b4918_IMGkawasakilight.thumb.jpg.dbd8b159015355040aabe42d531dd716.jpg

Best regards,

Coromant

• Like 7
2 hours ago, Coromant said:

Hi All!

The tunnel T-trak has got a small road to the trakside and applicated a street light and prepared the holes to the building lights, and because yesterday i was a bright mood i made street lights to Shin-Kawasaki too :)

I put an update about Shin-Kawasaki in the hungarian club page:  http://www.jnsforum.com/community/topic/8255-hungarian-japanese-model-train-club/?page=10

5a81da36b4918_IMGkawasakilight.thumb.jpg.dbd8b159015355040aabe42d531dd716.jpg

Best regards,

Coromant

That's amazing work. I really like how you gradually increase the ground level to create your tunnel. 

• Thanks 1

Did a little work on my Soyokaze Harbor scene yesterday. Water re-paint, Mod Podge, and working out the dock area and hillside loading dock area.

I'm planning on building an elevator system that will take loads up and down to the main track.

I need to go back in on the water, sadly. I used matte instead of gloss Mod Podge! hehehehe  D'oh! hehehehe   I plan on going back in and fixing some cracking on the water surface as well.

https://n-rail.blogspot.com/

5a8230c36c358_ScreenShot2018-02-12at4_30_20PM.thumb.png.de310bd9466e4610ab415e4a0be88f4d.png5a8230bf6f294_ScreenShot2018-02-12at4_30_54PM.thumb.png.82a73e70933dc5020aeb884ed522773b.png

5a8230bbcffda_ScreenShot2018-02-12at4_31_14PM.thumb.png.0b5635e5acc1c9c93be71d3344506533.png

• Like 9
On 2/11/2018 at 1:00 AM, beakaboy said:

A little bit more progress on my NZ120 scale layout tonight. Been trying out my homemade static grass machine and made a rotary  clothes line. Trees to come!

20180211_002744 (1024x614).jpg

20180211_003708 (1024x614).jpg

The clothes line looks brilliant Beaka, hopefully those log wagons run well too!

After five months of being boxed away it was finally time to track test the new layout.

They took a bit of getting going,a combination of being stored away,dirty track and cold weather!!

Few lumps and bumps to iron out and a couple of viaduct track pieces needed.

next step will be to level everything out,fix the support piers and track down to the base to give it some stability,then it ll be on to finishing the sidings/ display area.

CCC80C51-3929-40FA-B0F4-E63E79E9F39D.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1