What did you do on your layout today? (N scale)

bill937ca

I tested the layout of the buildings, the future length of the platforms and the location of the tunnel portal. I may have to move the switch positions from the station to the other segment otherwise no 4-car train will fit into it. With low speeds, it looks very good :-) I will post a video in the next few days

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Took the tram module back outside yesterday and today fitted the viaduct tracks over it,had to raise the station area by 2” to get clearanceD088062F-4DA6-4997-AE1F-B6BBC545D8FE.thumb.jpeg.a170ac8a4c10fc08a1ac7530ed5cc20b.jpeg

need some more polystyrene boards then I ll be able to work out how many track piers I ll need.

On the four upper level tracks part of the back and RH side will be rock face/ grass banks/brick wall with normal track which will free up some of the piers.

Edited by Pauljag900
  • Like 8
12 hours ago, Pauljag900 said:

Took the tram module back outside yesterday and today fitted the viaduct tracks over it,had to raise the station area by 2” to get clearanceD088062F-4DA6-4997-AE1F-B6BBC545D8FE.thumb.jpeg.a170ac8a4c10fc08a1ac7530ed5cc20b.jpeg

need some more polystyrene boards then I ll be able to work out how many track piers I ll need.

On the four upper level tracks part of the back and RH side will be rock face/ grass banks/brick wall with normal track which will free up some of the piers.

I think Paul has been here many times before except now he has a quintessential American locomotive - the EMD F7A Santa Fe in the Warbonnet scheme running around. :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, serotta1972 said:

I think Paul has been here many times before except now he has a quintessential American locomotive - the EMD F7A Santa Fe in the Warbonnet scheme running around. :)

How on earth did that get there?😂

you know who s to blame👍👍😂😂😂

28 minutes ago, tavora said:

Woo!!! That's amazing. How many layers are you going to do?

Hi Tavora,

thanks.

the lower level track will be 2 layers high(2”)and will go all around the loops

the center level will be 4 layers(4”) on Station  only

the higher level will be 7 layers(7”) high on station only

the two top levels will be a mix of support piers and mountain/hills/ walls etc.

paul

• Like 1

Cheers mate,I hope so.I m hoping to finish the polystyrene work in the next few days ,hopefully get some Trains running👍👍😀

Not a huge step, but at least something: I added some figures to the store. After it I realized that it was totally unnecessary to put figures inside the building, it can't be noticed.

sIMG_4220.thumb.jpg.1cded724a758fb7bd5e56f98385c4a89.jpg   sIMG_4222.thumb.jpg.1de82e32e6be73810b440a609107a6f7.jpg   sIMG_4223.thumb.jpg.c48fdf0de792848a17f9e914b73ba958.jpg

Added some figures to the T-trak corner modul, but completely forgot to take pictures about it. Next time.

• Like 5

Track and DCC traction power testing on the club layout :-)

received_1793552747386880.thumb.jpeg.04a9acd1d8d0797cc5e4b240c99ea7c5.jpeg

ps: actually both the track and loading gauges are correct and if this station had overhead, it would be 25kV/50Hz

Edited by kvp
  • Like 2
2 hours ago, Kiha66 said:

Nice work IST!  I bet if you add lights at some point they'll really stand out.

I keep thinking about adding some lights but at this moment I do not think I will do it in the near future. If I would add lights in the building, I would like to add working street lights also, then I would like to see cars and buses with reflectors (because it would be weird to see street lights but no lights in cars) plus I should install interior lights into my trains, not to mention those additional items like billboards on the buildings. Maybe later, now I am modelling an early afternoon on an extra sunny day somewhere in Japan. :grin

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, kvp said:

Track and DCC traction power testing on the club layout :-)

ps: actually both the track and loading gauges are correct and if this station had overhead, it would be 25kV/50Hz

hahaha i'm sure i havent seen that consist before!

66B18DE9-4BB3-4925-95A7-A3AEF1A1857C.thumb.jpeg.6528dcf4e47c03cea32df80c60c30d1f.jpeg

Today I finished raising the levels for the viaduct station,hoping to do the other side over the weekend.

the black foam at the front is where the kato road plates will be.

• Like 6

Today was a huge day for me and my layout... If anyone has looked at my thread on the layout building forum, you've probably seen me struggle with indecision and ask a million silly questions.

Well, I decided to throw caution to the winds (and follow some great advice from cteno4) and just take a shot at something. And you know what I did? I actually DRILLED A HOLE for wiring! I went ahead and drilled the hole for the wiring for both tracks of my Unitram set. It looks amazing seeing the trams go around without any ugly wires in the way! 

This was a huge step for me because it's the first hole I've drilled for a permanent decision since I built the table over half a year ago. I will post pictures, but sadly I am out of a phone at the moment (fun fact: phones and concrete do not mix) but my new one comes tomorrow and I will share my progress with pictures.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Great tt! Just takes poking that first hole to realize it’s no biggie if you need to move it later. That’s what wood putty is made for!

if you want to be super fancy just glue a chunk of dowel in the old hole, whack off the extra with a little flush cut Saw and sand. Voila! It’s gone!

once things are running and you are playing with things I think a lot of those little nagging questions will get answered quickly and a little playing around will answer the harder ones in a fun and productive way. Enjoy!

cheers

jeff

• Like 2
2 hours ago, tt0880 said:

Today was a huge day for me and my layout... If anyone has looked at my thread on the layout building forum, you've probably seen me struggle with indecision and ask a million silly questions.

Well, I decided to throw caution to the winds (and follow some great advice from cteno4) and just take a shot at something. And you know what I did? I actually DRILLED A HOLE for wiring! I went ahead and drilled the hole for the wiring for both tracks of my Unitram set. It looks amazing seeing the trams go around without any ugly wires in the way! 

This was a huge step for me because it's the first hole I've drilled for a permanent decision since I built the table over half a year ago.

My baseboards are full of holes I've drilled for "permanent" decisions ;)

• Like 3
1 hour ago, railsquid said:

My baseboards are full of holes I've drilled for "permanent" decisions ;)

Same here, some have been filled in with putty, other have been unceremoniously covered up with styrene and ground cover. 

• Like 1

Think we re all the same ha ha,but as you guys have said,they re easily covered up.

my problem is I m always changing my mind and moving stuff😂😂

37 minutes ago, Pauljag900 said:

Think we re all the same ha ha,but as you guys have said,they re easily covered up.

my problem is I m always changing my mind and moving stuff😂😂

Changing your mind is fine, I start to understand that is also part of the hobby...

btw, your layout is going at a good pace. Cheers.

624D9D63-8C3D-4A95-ABB7-B4A7B74D6315.thumb.jpeg.e2b08927379aa9ef3909e4fb3d06416a.jpeg

Finally I ve completed the track layout and levels.I need one piece of double 248 mm viaduct track,which I m scouring ebay for now,and some single 50mm track piers to replace the polystyrene blocks. Also need some more points for the sidings,I ve got a few but hav nt laid them yet as I’m more concerned with getting the loops completed at the moment.It was a bit of messing about with the levels but I think it s ok clearance wise.

the front edges will be tidied up with foamboard and the polystyrene on the layout will eventually become mountains/ hills or on the station,brick walls.

next step is to connect the power feeds and track test.

fingers crossed👍👍😀

• Like 10