Model Trains/Railways - Introduction To DCC (video)

NXCALE

Hi,

Probably posted it already somewhere but here a video I was watching, a nearly 3 hours video (I still need to finish the last 30 mins).I am not in DCC but I have to say that it is quite interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRynyMy9bYU

The main feature that could take me to DCC would be the capability to control more than one train and perhaps, the

simplification of the wiring. I think for a club (with several people wanting to control their trains), DCC must be heaven.

On the other hand, the less attractive characteristic of DCC are their controllers. I think the Dynamis could be one

of the most appealing. the "advanced" ones look more like tv remote controllers although these allow controlling many thing of the trains.

I admit that I haven't tried many of those DCC controllers but I tried to play some videogames with my PS3 remote

controller (https://www.amazon.com/Media-Blu-ray-Remote-Control-Playstation-3/dp/B0050SX9I2) and it was not particularly fun.

Anyway, it is good that there several options available to meet anyone's needs.

Cheers,

Nxcale

• Like 1

For DCC operation, i prefer a type of DCC handheld throttles, called Fred-s. They have analog potmeter variants that could even take a Kato style handle and have a simple direction switch. It works like a classic analog throttle, but has 13 functions and an emergency stop button. It's a loconet DCC throttle type designed for clubs as a walkaround handheld unit. No display and number pad, so initial dispatch must be done from the club's main DDC console. It's easy to use as you just turn the knob and the train moves.

Yes, I think that the Kato handle would make look/feel better almost any knob controller (DC/DCC).

Actually, the Kato basic controller (the blue one) is still one of my favourites even though I mostly use/have Tomix products.

It would be great if the Kato basic controller had Constant Lighting. Perhaps, a project could be putting the Tomix circuitry within the case of the Kato basic controller.

Perhaps, a project could be putting the Tomix circuitry within the case of the Kato basic controller.

While it's doable, there is really no point as most Tomix CL controllers have way better handles and even support throttle and brake simulation.

Martijn Meerts

Command stations like the ESU ECoS and Marklin Central Station are actually rather decent looking and make it easy to operate multiple trains at the same time. Of course, they're not walkaround controllers, but there are multiple apps available for iOS/Android that turn a smartphone into a controller. In fact, the ECoS's protocol is fairly easy, so building a custom app isn't too difficult either.

While it's doable, there is really no point as most Tomix CL controllers have way better handles and even support throttle and brake simulation.

I see the point. I did not mention that it would be the N-1001-CL controller's circuitry inside the Kato controller.

Cheers,

Command stations like the ESU ECoS and Marklin Central Station are actually rather decent looking and make it easy to operate multiple trains at the same time. Of course, they're not walkaround controllers, but there are multiple apps available for iOS/Android that turn a smartphone into a controller. In fact, the ECoS's protocol is fairly easy, so building a custom app isn't too difficult either.

Roco Z21 use your tablet or phone as controller by default, you can walk around with it, we use it at the club and it works greatly

Yes, the Z21 (the black advanced one) is a nice system, only the loconet part requires some hacking as the unit has a throttle type connector only, which means you have to use a still unavailable booster bus adapter (or roll your own) if you want to use loconet boosters. (it's easy to solder one by using the raw dcc signal output, but still) This makes fremo use a bit problematic. But the android smartphone based physical knob wifi throttle is a nice controller, so that makes up for any shortcomings.

Correct Kvp,

the lack of loconet boosters is not a big issue, there are other boosters type available, like the new Roco ones or CDE boosters with the official adapter, at the club we had a good engineer and our boosters were self builted to better suit our needs

So if you skip the Loconet booster compatibility, the Z21 (the black one) is currently the best DCC command station around on price/performance ratio

Martijn Meerts

Roco Z21 use your tablet or phone as controller by default, you can walk around with it, we use it at the club and it works greatly

True, if you're planning on using a tablet or phone (or computer) to control the layout, the Z21 is a great option. If you want more of an all-in-one idea, something like the ECoS or Central Station is a great option. If you want a modular system, well, there's plenty options for those (Digitrax, Lenz, and many, many more)

Could you share your booster plans? I think it would be really useful for other clubs.

I'll ask the person who built them if he want to share the plans, I too don't know how they are done, he just arrived and told that he created these boosters for the club, it's a big box with 3x6amps boosters

True, if you're planning on using a tablet or phone (or computer) to control the layout, the Z21 is a great option. If you want more of an all-in-one idea, something like the ECoS or Central Station is a great option. If you want a modular system, well, there's plenty options for those (Digitrax, Lenz, and many, many more)

I completelly agree, if you want a compact system with no PC and software, Z21 is a great option. But in my personal opinion, if you plan to use a tablet or phone as a throttle or control panel, I prefer to have it connected to the software and not to the command station. In this way you are "isolated" from the command station and you can change it keeping the same mobile applications and interface. Using the software clients you have more functionality than the command stations offer. In my case I use Rocrail and the mobile clients AndRoc or iRoc. Any person using a personal computer can directly execute the Rocrail client to be connected to the same track plan.

In our last club exhibition (http://www.jnsforum.com/community/topic/12225-first-clubncaldes-barcelona-train-show/) we used a self made command station, Loconet compatible, using Arduino (20$ cost). As backup we also had an Intellibox Basic and a Digikeijs DR5000. We are able to change the command station or adding a booster for more power just disconnecting one and plugging a different one. The only requirement is to have all Loconet compatible as it is the system we use.

Regarding throttles, everybody is able to use his own. Digitrax, Uhlenbrock, or self made with Arduino. Again, the only requirement is to be Loconet compatible.

We have a funny to use one using a Nintendo DenshaDeGo controller:

20003b.jpg

Cheers,

Dani

Edited by Dani
  • Like 1

The Z21 does not yet have loconet booster support, only throttle bus, but an adapter is planned. On the other hand, they have those android phone throttles with a real mechanical dial.

If you use a pc, the arduino central is the nicest with a separate throttle and booster bus port. For clubs, each booster could have a throttle port halving the cabling requirements. (digitrax wall panels also support local throttle power)

We have a funny to use one using a Nintendo DenshaDeGo controller:

20003b.jpg

Cheers,

Dani

Hi Dani,

Would you have some pictures or even better videos of the controller is action? Thanks.

Cheers,

Actually the HJMTC also had one in analog (pwm drive) for our spring ttrak layout. It IST's pc game port variant but works the same. I would be interested in the Nintendo port interface and loconet circuits.

I will try to gather all the information, wiring diagrams and Arduino sketch and will write a new thread if you are interested on it.

I only have one old video, when beginning with the project. At that time the use of the brake handle was not yet implemented, and joystick buttons were used to switch on and off funcions (cab lights) and set the direction:

• Like 3